Open Pandora in Aluminum case?

Would you buy an Aluminum case for the Open Pandora?

• Yes, price doesn't matter

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Yes, but no more than $100

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Maybe, how good is it?

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Maybe, will I get it within Two Months™?

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No thanks, I like the black

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • No thanks, I will be happy with the new platinum black

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
Hello Community,

I'm just curious to see if this is possible, and how much interest there is into making it happen.

Feel free to post your thoughts and ideas here.

I'm just talking a part for part switch. I remember Linux-SWAT had some things he was working on with a 3D printer, and these things keep getting cheaper. IIRC the exact specs aren't public for hardware pirates, but maybe we could get the information for the community to design an aluminum case.

I've just heard of a 3D printer with clunky software for $600. I'm new to all of it.

Aluminum case as in the Pandora housing or a carry-case? Also, how does 3D-printing fit in with aluminium case manufacture?

Thanks.

Couldn't you just print a case?

Pandora case, like the flat black that's current or the platinum black that ED just picked up from customs in Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
^

Like I said, I know nothing about 3D printers, and sure I could research it, I just wanted to start a discussion regardless about an aluminum case for the Open Pandora market.

You couldn't print a whole case in aluminum. You could machine a unibody chassis like apple.

Unibody pandora.... Mmmmm :)

I think I would add up to about $300 for the whole Pandora enclosure to be aluminum. I don't even care so much about the color.

Most companies we asked said it can't be done. It's just far too complex.

It would also cause issues with the Wifi and BT.

A part Aluminium case is possible however, and that's usually what most manufacturers do.

Shapeways has some interesting materials... including an inexpensive aluminum infused strong plastic, bronze infused stainless steel - which might be pretty expensive, but would be an awesome option, even if you had to chop up the model a little and print plastic 'antenna windows'.

I would love to have a milled aluminum or cast magnesium alloy Pandora case. In my humble opinion, the case is the weakest link. The design is okay, but the molding problems and finish problems necessitating paint, and material strength seem to leave a LOT to be desired. I would pay for a better case.

On that topic though, I think it'd be a great idea to make the official case available as a printed object on Shapeways - it might not be as cost effective as the injection molded parts, but being able to replace case parts on an as-needed basis when they eventually fail sounds like a great asset.

(I enjoy tooling around with 3D models, and would really like to have CAD models of either Pandora's plastic parts, or models of the actual internal bits that I could model a case around. Those models being released seems unlikely [don't want to make the chinese copyartists job any easier], so I'll probably have to do it myself if I want to do that.)

Unibody Pandoras would be very nice :p
Please tell me you're joking... :blink:

Apple's allegedly indestructible "Unibody" design falls apart for no reason, with extremely light usage. It's the single most unimpressive bullet-point I've ever come across. I have a relative who has a MacBook with a Unibody construction. The bottom half fell right off within a couple of months of purchase, so they went to an Apple Store to get it dealt with, and the guy there tried to hard-sell it as indestructible; Said relation replied "Right. Is it? I'm here because mine has fallen apart.". It was promptly dealt with, with standard screws instead of their new security-headed ones, since the policy is to write the serial number on a piece of paper stored inside when this happens (the fact they have a set policy for this speaks volumes about their confidence in it). The hinge on the "indestructible" Unibody of this same machine has just started cracking open just outside of warranty, but I'm pretty sure that they'd be obligated to sort that out, too, since no way would it lasting just over one year and then falling apart and becoming too delicate to travel with be considered fit-for-purpose.

No disrespect to the Pandora, but we've already seen rather a few build issues over time (thankfully all being worked out, but still, they were present for a while) - going the Unibody route would be a massive backwards step. :p

The law of diminishing returns - sales of any niche product must climb to more than 50% of the total market before either being bought out or ignored.

What's the exit strategy for OP?

Surely they can't go on losing money hand over fist?

I like the fact people here love the Pandora. I do too.

The direct competition isn't a form factor. It's a price point.

Back