Want to learn 3D CAD for 3D printing, where do I begin?

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
Hello all,

Since there is a lot of interest here for home-built things I think is the right place to ask.

Basically I want a guide or course to learn 3D CAD.Something with guided exercises wit increased difficulty. If based on open source software and can be followed in Linux, much better, but the goal is to send some designs to a local print and check the results. If it fits my needs maybe even buy my own printer.

Now, and very important, I don't wan't to learn anything artistic, I guess my use case can be defined as industrial design, or kludges, kludges fits pretty well. Here are some pieces I handcracfted and show pretty well the level of complexity I'm talking:
]
I usually work with nylon, polypropylene or aluminum, and I'm completely aware that I won't get with 3D printing anything with similar mechanical properties. I just want to learn and see if 3D printing can have any use for me.

I'm completely lost here, although I have rear a bit about different materials and printers I want to become familiar with the software and all.

Any advice?

Edit:
Just found this and laughed at myself. This is the real reason I want to use 3D printers instead of manual tools (the image may be a bit disgusting for some people):

Last edited:
http://www.openscad.org/ - A programmatic way of building 3D objects which can be compiled and exported to stl which is a common format for sending to a printer.
I keep http://www.openscad.org/cheatsheet/ nearby as I always forget what is available to me and what the parameters are. I found the documentation on each of the functions enough of a tutorial for me.

https://www.blender.org/ is the other tool that I normally turn to but only when I have complicated meshes to deal with. I don't have any tutorial to point you at. There is lots of good stuff on YouTube but because it is very 'point and clicky', you have to sit through lengthy fluff. The best bit about OpenSCAD is that it is text based, so you can see the text, the see an image of the result.

- From a builder with his own 3D printer :)
IMG_7017_small.jpg

+1 for OpenSCAD if you have more of a programming than artistic background. I've made a few designs with it and I find it really simple and quick to use.

I don't do a 3D printing much, but I do FE modelling at work with quite complex, multistage processes. I have no idea who should I make a "pleasure" there to get a SolidWorks license which activates, so I learned BRL and FreeCAD.
BRL has quite problematic learning curve: you need to know exactly what you want to model, its dimensions, and then you need some experience in primitive and poly/curve modelling to know how to illustrate the part using coordinates of specific points and dependencies. If you finally have a recipe figured out this way, the design itself is quite easy with commands known. Unfortunately, this program has no visual "fireworks" except a very simple preview, but there are some very nice tools related to optimization of designs, transmissions and gears. Problem: None of them are documented well. And optimization tools must be documented, so the only answer is: See the source code.
Generally all these trees, visualizations and tables you have in SW's GUI you have in your base, but it's your thing to make them in their proper places.

FreeCAD looks more user-friendly and I made a few processes as well as 3D prints in it. Some obvious tools have to be written from scratch in Python. For re-making parts from existing mesh you sometimes need to click through a few tens of polygons just to reuse them :(. Boolean operators tend to leave garbage when used on meshes. There is a nice 2D layer for making a composite technical drawings with cuts and projections. In the meantime you can place and remove measurement lines to make sure geometry is done properly.

I do not recommend Blender. This is a program for something totally other and making a simple projection just to verify dimensions is a problem there.

I use FreeCAD. Doing simple prints is quite straight forward, but I'm still learning tricks to do more complicated things.

I've been playing with OpenSCAD as well for some simple objects. I've been searching for a real CAD program that I can find a groove with, but more times than not, I end up just using Tinkercad.com, it's by far the easiest method I have found to get a concept in my head into a STL file I can print.

this guy has many tutorials on Fusion 360. a lot of 3D printer guys use it . also its free for experimenters/students etc..

Thanks for the answers.

Seems that openscad is the way to go. But I have got experience with freecad. I will check the other options mentioned also.

Back