Oooo.. F Day News!

DemonStar55 posted on Feb 26 2005 at 03:58 AM said:
maybe its an emu and a game all-in-one kind of thing

Doubt it, the GP32s RAM would not be big enough to fit every emu in it PLUS load a ROM too. This was brought up before when someone asked about a multi-emu.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Feb 26 2005 at 04:51 AM said:
Definetly not an emulator. Why would you have "pts" in an emulator? Would it read the score from the emulated game ? not likely. Also network wouldn't make sense for an emulator as you can't link through an emu without slowing it down alot. It has to be some homebrew game of some sort.

Interesting point of view. Where do you get all the technical information from? Why does linking 2 machines together slow down an emulator? ;)

Multi-emulator is possible, but the file for each type of emulator would have to be put into a directory, so each system would be modular in design. Also, I think you'd have to keep the roms in their own directories still if only for the sake of simplicity and so you're not trying to load Frogger for the Colecovision in the Atari emulator and so forth.

don posted on Feb 26 2005 at 04:56 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 26 2005 at 04:51 AM said:
Definetly not an emulator.  Why would you have "pts" in an emulator?  Would it read the score from the emulated game ? not likely.  Also network wouldn't make sense for an emulator as you can't link through an emu without slowing it down alot.  It has to be some homebrew game of some sort.

Interesting point of view. Where do you get all the technical information from? Why does linking 2 machines together slow down an emulator? ;)

Because there is extra code to handle communication between two systems, PLUS emulation. Extra code means more CPU cycles used which means slower emulation. Of course if you are emulating something simple like Colecovision the extra CPU hit wouldn't be noticed you would just run the clock higher to compensate. But if you are doing something like Genesis, the extra CPU cycle requirements would be noticed with big time slowdown.

DaveC posted on Feb 26 2005 at 03:51 AM said:
Definetly not an emulator. Why would you have "pts" in an emulator? Would it read the score from the emulated game ? not likely. Also network wouldn't make sense for an emulator as you can't link through an emu without slowing it down alot. It has to be some homebrew game of some sort.

Well, if you are playing a game in an emulator and the GUI is semi-transparent you still can se the game stuff. Many games start with the scores only and then fade in the map. It looks to me like the scores of 1492.

The girl is from SD-Snatcher, so can't be the water game, nosense to include game rips if he has the help of a really good pixel artist.

I must confess that I' m not sure of what it will be, but it will certainly be tigh as usual!

did even one of you think about the possibilty that this could be photoshopped? a joke?
thats my intention right now

don posted on Feb 26 2005 at 03:45 AM said:
TelcoLou posted on Feb 26 2005 at 03:55 AM said:
wow. What an informative and helpful reply.

Might you be so kind as to expand on why?

Yes, I could. But I won't. It's meant to be secret ;)
Did I miss something on IRC whilst doing coursework? :(

f it wasn't an emulator, why would it say "change" at the top?

Change character, change weapons, etc. This screen shot is blatantly a game.

Also what would be the point of an all-in-one emulator 'suite' when you still have to go through the firmware launcher? You may as well just select the emulator that you want in the launcher rather than launch the suite and then the desired emulator.

And having several emulators in one suite would not slow things down because each emulator would be a seperate program with a GUI that can awitch between emus.

The name is Rlyeh. Read some of the stories by H.P.Lovecraft to know where it comes from ;)

Rlyeh has been gathering people to translate the text to various languages in this new project of his, but I didnt ask him what the text was for, it is nice to have a surprise ahead :)

My thoughts on this:

It's obviously a screenshot of a FEmu. The points on the screen are just from some game that is currently being run in the background. The options screen overlaps it, which I think we all can agree on since the "pts 0" text is in a darker shade. I know, LockeCole already mentioned this, but some still haven't noticed it. Why do I think it is a emulator and not some game? Well, call it a "hunch", but the options at the top ("Continue", "Restart" & "Change) are the exact same ones that are already in his emulators (and in that order too!).

I'm thinking that it's a new gui for his emulators. Also since there's a network option, I'm thinking he has added some (a lot of?) new stuff to the code as well.

Does anybody saying 'it's obviously x' or 'it's definitely y' have any idea what they are talking about?

One of you is bound to be right (every possible option has been mentioned) but I'm not sure how you can all be so certain on this.

Well, is not photoshop, is real, i'm testing it right now, and obviously it isn't the water effect game.
But i'm sure of something, you will laugh at one or two things.
Just wait a little bit, until its ready ^_^

Oh, and that's a gui, that "pts" thing isn't part of it

K-teto posted on Feb 26 2005 at 04:05 PM said:
Oh, and that's a gui, that "pts" thing isn't part of it

I noticed. Its just that, dispite it being a complete long-shot, if we can identify the point counter, then we can identify the game that's being emulated, and therefore the emulator. >_>

I'll put money on a first release of FMAME, the PTS 0 looks in the same style as the old games like Pacman or Snow Bros.

Heres hoping anyway....

it has to be an emulator :D
a optinon like "System options" wouldnt make sense for a game if there are already sound and video-options...

the question is: an emulator of what ???
i guess mame.. or is it a neogeo-emu.... i think im dreaming ;)

Back