Release Oolite

i recommend the NumericHUD, it is so much clearer and easier to understand, plus it works well with so many AddOns... give it a try (it only a personal opinion obviously :) )
Latest versions of the NumericHud also include the non-linear scanner by default.. so even when you zoom in, you can still keep track of distant objects as well.

(Though I'm not sure how well Norby's addition of 4 MFDs will look on the Pandora!)
Thanks for the info, you two.

For others who might be interested in other HUDs: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/HUD_images_here

I tried the numeric HUD breifly using this new-fangled built-in addons menu wotsit, but I found it impacted my framerate too much for comfort. I'm currently just rocking the default HUD since the compact HUD I was using previously doesn't seem to have made it as a new OXZ, and to be honest since I've got more used to this scanner, I no longer find it as hard to see the stalks.

So I updated to the latest version..   and also changed my SGX driver version to the one levi suggested.   Rebooted started the game - all went well until I went into combat,  and suddenly the frame rate started dropping into single digits and the controls became really really sluggish, then the game froze.    I was still able to ssh in so I checked dmesg and noticed that the SGX was in a constant crash and recovery cycle that continued even after I killed oolite.

Switched back to default SGX drivers and rebooted again  (I even took the battery out for a bit)  and restarted the game. 

This is better but it's still a lot more sluggish than the last build was...

I ssh'd in again and noticed this sort of thing appearing in dmesg during flight and especially combat:

[  454.052246] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
[  454.099426] SGX Hardware Recovery triggered (from SGX_MISRHandler)
[  454.099609] PID = 2248, process name = oolite
[  454.099761] EVENT_STATUS =     0x20000000
[  454.099761] EVENT_STATUS2 =    0x00000010
[  454.099761] BIF_CTRL =         0x00000000
[  454.099761] BIF_INT_STAT =     0x00000000
[  454.099792] BIF_MEM_REQ_STAT = 0x00000000
[  454.099792] BIF_FAULT  =       0x00000000
[  454.099792] CLKGATECTL =       0x00222220
[  454.100463] HW Recovery dump generated at 1404269840672180
[  504.153839] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
[  504.213439] SGX Hardware Recovery triggered (from SGX_MISRHandler)
[  504.213684] PID = 2248, process name = oolite
[  504.213775] EVENT_STATUS =     0x20000000
[  504.213775] EVENT_STATUS2 =    0x00000010
[  504.213775] BIF_CTRL =         0x00000000
[  504.213806] BIF_INT_STAT =     0x00000000
[  504.213806] BIF_MEM_REQ_STAT = 0x00000000
[  504.213806] BIF_FAULT  =       0x00000000
[  504.213806] CLKGATECTL =       0x00222220
[  504.214569] HW Recovery dump generated at 1404269890786254
[  649.161743] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
[  649.880401] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
[  650.044555] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
I don't know that it wasn't happening in the previous version,  but the previous version was definitely more responsive.

- Neelix

Edit:  The sluggishness happens anytime there are a lot of objects within viewing distance (or a very large one like a planet)
Ok, that's strange.

Here is PND with the exact same release except for the libGL version that I downgraded from previous build. Is it working better?
I have not tried that .pnd, but while playing the one from the repo I have had a number of problems.  I was running through the training and had NumericHUD, but removed it since I was having the same frame rate issue as Levi.  I then found parts of an asteroid flickering in and out similar to the rock hermit pictures in the font thread.  I figured maybe it was a shadow at first.  I then had this strange spikey thing that kept half appearing when I was going through how to use the scanner.  I only saw it visually (not on the HUD).  Then I approached a ship.  From the forward internal view (ya know this would be a lot easier to describe if I could use Star Trek terminology) it looked like an outline, but from some of the external views it was flickery, with one showing most of it solid.  At one point the video got screwy (I was looking at my ship from an overhead external view) and could not get an internal view, so I stopped.  I heard my engines power down and tried a bunch of other stuff, but the image remained the same, the overhead view with engines at full power going straight.  I had to exit the game.  I restarted and messed around for a while, eventually getting to the point where you have to navigate the asteroid field while staying close to the buoy with asteroids going toward your ship.  At this point I got a video loop and did not seem to have any controls.  I quit again and decided I needed to give feedback.

Does anyone know if these issues are because I was doing training, using the current version on the repo, or playing on a Classic?

I hope it isn't because of my Pandora.  I wanted to try a few more OXPs, especially the HUDs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So I updated to the latest version..   and also changed my SGX driver version to the one levi suggested.   Rebooted started the game - all went well until I went into combat,  and suddenly the frame rate started dropping into single digits and the controls became really really sluggish, then the game froze.    I was still able to ssh in so I checked dmesg and noticed that the SGX was in a constant crash and recovery cycle that continued even after I killed oolite.

Switched back to default SGX drivers and rebooted again  (I even took the battery out for a bit)  and restarted the game. 

This is better but it's still a lot more sluggish than the last build was...

I ssh'd in again and noticed this sort of thing appearing in dmesg during flight and especially combat:

[  454.052246] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
[  454.099426] SGX Hardware Recovery triggered (from SGX_MISRHandler)
[  454.099609] PID = 2248, process name = oolite
[  454.099761] EVENT_STATUS =     0x20000000
[  454.099761] EVENT_STATUS2 =    0x00000010
[  454.099761] BIF_CTRL =         0x00000000
[  454.099761] BIF_INT_STAT =     0x00000000
[  454.099792] BIF_MEM_REQ_STAT = 0x00000000
[  454.099792] BIF_FAULT  =       0x00000000
[  454.099792] CLKGATECTL =       0x00222220
[  454.100463] HW Recovery dump generated at 1404269840672180
[  504.153839] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
[  504.213439] SGX Hardware Recovery triggered (from SGX_MISRHandler)
[  504.213684] PID = 2248, process name = oolite
[  504.213775] EVENT_STATUS =     0x20000000
[  504.213775] EVENT_STATUS2 =    0x00000010
[  504.213775] BIF_CTRL =         0x00000000
[  504.213806] BIF_INT_STAT =     0x00000000
[  504.213806] BIF_MEM_REQ_STAT = 0x00000000
[  504.213806] BIF_FAULT  =       0x00000000
[  504.213806] CLKGATECTL =       0x00222220
[  504.214569] HW Recovery dump generated at 1404269890786254
[  649.161743] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
[  649.880401] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
[  650.044555] pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)
I don't know that it wasn't happening in the previous version,  but the previous version was definitely more responsive.

- Neelix

Edit:  The sluggishness happens anytime there are a lot of objects within viewing distance (or a very large one like a planet)
Ok, that's strange.

Here is PND with the exact same release except for the libGL version that I downgraded from previous build. Is it working better?
I have not tried that .pnd, but while playing the one from the repo I have had a number of problems.  I was running through the training and had NumericHUD, but removed it since I was having the same frame rate issue as Levi.  I then found parts of an asteroid flickering in and out similar to the rock hermit pictures in the font thread.  I figured maybe it was a shadow at first.  I then had this strange spikey thing that kept half appearing when I was going through how to use the scanner.  I only saw it visually (not on the HUD).  Then I approached a ship.  From the forward internal view (ya know this would be a lot easier to describe if I could use Star Trek terminology) it looked like an outline, but from some of the external views it was flickery, with one showing most of it solid.  At one point the video got screwy (I was looking at my ship from an overhead external view) and could not get an internal view, so I stopped.  I heard my engines power down and tried a bunch of other stuff, but the image remained the same, the overhead view with engines at full power going straight.  I had to exit the game.  I restarted and messed around for a while, eventually getting to the point where you have to navigate the asteroid field while staying close to the buoy with asteroids going toward your ship.  At this point I got a video loop and did not seem to have any controls.  I quit again and decided I needed to give feedback.

Does anyone know if these issues are because I was doing training, using the current version on the repo, or playing on a Classic?

I hope it isn't because of my Pandora.  I wanted to try a few more OXPs, especially the HUDs. 
I would be very interested if you can try the alternate PND to see if it fixes things. I may have introduce a bug in glshim lately...

I'm currently just rocking the default HUD since the compact HUD I was using previously doesn't seem to have made it as a new OXZ, and to be honest since I've got more used to this scanner, I no longer find it as hard to see the stalks.
Oolite 1.80 does also still recognise the old-style OXPs.. just put them in the AddOns folder as usual.  You can also manually download OXZs and place them in AddOns.  Whilst the Expansion manager will recognise them, it marks them as manually installed, and won't offer to update them for you.

So far as CompactHUD goes, it was always just a hud.plist file that you had to put into AddOns/Config/ to use anyway.

However, after seeing the above, I decided to make an OXZ version, with two small-style MFDs in it as well.  The new scanner features, "non-linear scanner" and "ultra-zoom" have also been enabled.

If you wish to disable either or both of the new scanner features, simply edit the hud.plist (located inside the Config folder of the OXZ) as follows:

Using any text editor (EXCEPT Windows Notepad, not that that's a problem with Pandora), scroll to the very bottom of the file, where you will see the following two entries:

scanner_non_linear = yes;

scanner_ultra_zoom = yes;

Change the relevant entry from 'yes' to 'no'. Save your changes, and restart Oolite whilst holding down the <Shift> key until you see the spinning Cobra Mk3.

The OXZ is available via the in-game Expansion Manager.  (this makes 200 OXZs now available)

Having not read ALL of the posts but seeing Levis comment about the framerate on the numeric HUD.. i agree with Levi in that the new version of the numericHUD does slow the framerate quite considerably, so i cheated and basically used the 3.14 version and added the MFD (multifunction display) lines from the new versio into 3.14 plist so the framerate isnt affected. Its not the best way about things but certianly fixes the framerate issues etc... now i'll read the rest of the comments ( and probably be correcting what ive said lol)

I mentioned the framerate problem with the NumericHUD to Norby, and this was his reply:

v3.14 is introduced the ETA display which maybe need some resources but removed in v3.20.

v3.16 is changed the refresh from each frame to 12 times per second which should help until the frame rate is over 12FPS, maybe this is not true in Pandora?

The 12 refresh produced by 3 timers, so if you comment out two of them (all lines in numerichudv3.js with numericgaugeCheckTimer2 and 3) then you can earn more FPS at a cost of less natural updates. But I think you should test first the v3.20 or later version.
Hopefully something there can help.

I would be very interested if you can try the alternate PND to see if it fixes things. I may have introduce a bug in glshim lately...
I overlooked this yesterday.  I will try to find at least a few minutes to try the alternate and get back to you.

I'm currently just rocking the default HUD since the compact HUD I was using previously doesn't seem to have made it as a new OXZ, and to be honest since I've got more used to this scanner, I no longer find it as hard to see the stalks.
So far as CompactHUD goes, it was always just a hud.plist file that you had to put into AddOns/Config/ to use anyway.

However, after seeing the above, I decided to make an OXZ version, with two small-style MFDs in it as well.  The new scanner features, "non-linear scanner" and "ultra-zoom" have also been enabled.
CompactHUD is now on version 1.2.

I've added more features, so it now shows Waypoints, Primed Equipment, a Joystick Precision Mode indicator, Fuel Scoop status, and the current ASC target, as well as two MFDs, a Non-linear Scanner and ultrazoom.  It has been made to require  the use of the new HUD Selector OXZ, which is a clever method of making it possible to have multiple HUDs installed at once, and let you switch between them at will (including the in-built standard and small HUDs).

I would post a screenshot, but this board won't let me post photobucket images, for some reason.

It has been made to require  the use of the new HUD Selector OXZ, which is a clever method of making it possible to have multiple HUDs installed at once, and let you switch between them at will (including the in-built standard and small HUDs).
More useful info.  What other HUDs work with this?

I overlooked this yesterday.  I will try to find at least a few minutes to try the alternate and get back to you.
Ok, so I played around with the other one and it fixed a few things at least.  I didn't have time to check out everything I reported before (like the asteroid field) but so far the only thing that remained that I have seen is the weird ship in the scanner tutorial.  It is the attacking (red) thing on the scanner if anyone wants to take a look.  I don't care that, as long as ships in game look right.

It has been made to require  the use of the new HUD Selector OXZ, which is a clever method of making it possible to have multiple HUDs installed at once, and let you switch between them at will (including the in-built standard and small HUDs).
More useful info.  What other HUDs work with this?

Currently, there's CompactHUD, NumericHUD, the in-built "standard" and "small" HUDs, and it can manage any single custom HUD that uses the old "hud.plist" method.  I would expect that with time, more will be made compatible with it.  The HUD Selector was only created yesterday, in response to a discussion about how to handle things now that the Expansion Manager makes it easy to install multiple HUDs. 

Until now, it was recommended that only one custom HUD be installed at a time.  This wasn't really a problem, as people had to go hunting for them, and read up at least a little on the subject, before installing one.  But with the advent of the Expansion Manager, a lot of people are going to be installing several HUDs without realising that only one of them can be active, with no way to choose which one Oolite used.  Hence the suggestion from the devs that a HUD Manager OXP was needed, which Norby found a simple way to do, although it does require some slight changes to existing HUDs, (and in a few cases, not-so-slight changes).

Just installed the PND and run with my PC saved game and WOW this runs great at 600mhz and better than on PC due to the Pandora controls. Screen a little small but that's not the games fault - roll on Pyra.

New build on the repo.

I updated, again, to latest glshim, and I hope I have fixed the issues (I fixed some bug, but I don't know if it was the good one ;) ).

The good new is I also update my copy of openal-soft. This one comes with more backend (portaudio for example), making it compatible with espeak and the Speech Synthesis. You can now activate it in the option screen!

Build 11

----------

• updated to latest glshim
  • updated to latest openal-soft, Speech Synthesis now work!

Solution to small Pandora screen is magnifying glasses - tried the 4x ones my wife uses for reading and they work perfect happy days!

Was playing nicely on my ancient netbook but the Pandora controls really come into there own on this game.

Also played great on my Toshiba Encore tablet (got this just to play around with emulators on the go and play DVDs without converting) with Bluetooth keyboard but Pandora still wins with the controls.

I updated, again, to latest glshim, and I hope I have fixed the issues (I fixed some bug, but I don't know if it was the good one ;) ).
Looks good so far...  several situations which caused major issues for me in the previous version didn't even give me a hiccup here. :)

I did get one isolated "pvr: oolite: IOCTL 69 failed (13)" in dmesg but no issues in-game.

- Neelix

These are switched on/off and chosen using the ":" and ";" keys, unfortunately, although they are mentioned in the config, the keys aren't responsive, is there a way to "activate" these keys, as i'm aware that some keys, especially the fn +"whatever key" don't seem to work with the Pandora..

Again I call that odd... I routinely press ; (fn+<) to activate and deactivate the Navigation MFD and it responds just fine for me...

@milinks: Please accept my apologies.  

While ";" (Fn+",") worked to cycle the MFDs  ":"  (Fn+".") doesn't work for selecting the MFDs.

Basically the game isn't recognising the remapping of characters that would normally be shifted.   Fortunately I have a workaround.  Shift+Fn+","  (effectively Shift+";") is recognised as a " ":" by the game,  so you can use that to select an MFD.

Similarly Shift+Fn+"D"  (Effectively Shift+"-") Will act as "_" and safe your weapons.  (though I can't imagine bothering to do so :lol: )

(I recommend using the left shoulder button as shift when attempting these and make sure you press Shift before you press Fn)

Now that I understand what's happening I should be able to create a keyconfig.plist that fixes these combinations, so that they work with the correct (for the Pandora) keys.

- Neelix

Not had much time to test out this new version, but espeak support really adds to the game. Unfortunately that seems to have switched the audio from using ALSA sound to OSS sound, or something like that that stops me playing music at the same time as playing the game - and kills all audio on my Pandora until I reboot if I have the temerity to try. Also, it seems now to always leave the nubs configured as joysticks when quitting the game using FN+Esc either from the menu or in-game, which is odd as in game only the left nub is mapped to the joystick IIRC. One segfault during gameplay too, though perhaps that's just unlucky.

Other than those annoyances the game seems stable as ever though, so well done on a mostly successful update.

Edit: My apologies, things aren't nearly as bad as I'd reported above. It only screws up your nubs and kills audio if you're playing some music via ALSA when you start. And when it screws up the nubs it is only leaving them in the game's configuration, with the right nub being mouse movement, so there's less mystery there.

When I get a chance, I'll see what I can find in my pndrun.out file. I did have a look earlier, and noted some possible oddities in dmesg too, I think, but didn't take copies of anything.

Now that I understand what's happening I should be able to create a keyconfig.plist that fixes these combinations, so that they work with the correct (for the Pandora) keys.
My cunning plan to fix the issue with a customised keyconfig.plist failed miserably.  :-(

oh well..  I guess I'll just have to keep using the the work-around.

- Neelix

Back