Release Oolite

Thanks.  Damnit, I was stuck at Quorte needing to get to Arraesso in under 6 days.  As it was I ran out of time at some point in hyperspace before Qube, but thankfully the passenger still gave me a couple of grand for my trouble (I forget what the original contract was).  A nice surprise, especially as the silly cat creature probably got baked as I scooped for fuel.
Here's a little tip for doing contract/passenger/parcels runs.

The time a hyperspace (Elite/Oolite uses the term "witchspace") jump takes increases with the square of the distance.  So lots of short jumps are faster than a few long jumps.  The time you can save on a long run is considerable.  The downside, of course, is that you will probably go through a lot more dangerous systems that way.

Another useful tip related to the above.. once you have the Wormhole Scanner installed in your ship, you can use this same feature to ambush a particular ship.  Scan their wormhole cloud to determine their destination and how long it will take them to arrive.  If you can reach that destination ahead of them by means of 2 or 3 shorter jumps, you can loiter by the Witchspace Buoy, and at the appropriate arrival time, the ship will emerge from witchspace in front of you.  (yes, even if you had to subsequently restart from a gamesave made after your scan)  I believe there are a few mission OXPs which require you to make use of this technique

Last edited by a moderator:
That next build will have quite some improvment. The screenshot is fixed, and the downscale is improved. And I also fixed the bleu flames of the ships. Look at thoses screenshot (that I got using shift *) :

attachicon.gif
oolite-001.png
attachicon.gif
oolite-002.png
attachicon.gif
oolite-003.png
attachicon.gif
oolite-004.png
attachicon.gif
oolite-005.png

:)
Nice work!  (though I notice in the last shot that BGS has left you some error messages in the latest.log) ;)

That next build will have quite some improvment. The screenshot is fixed, and the downscale is improved. And I also fixed the bleu flames of the ships. Look at thoses screenshot (that I got using shift *) :

attachicon.gif
oolite-001.png
attachicon.gif
oolite-002.png
attachicon.gif
oolite-003.png
attachicon.gif
oolite-004.png
attachicon.gif
oolite-005.png

:)
Nice work!  (though I notice in the last shot that BGS has left you some error messages in the latest.log) ;)
I see no error in the log, but I guess it may be too verbose...

Opening log for Oolite version 1.77 (<unknown little-endian architecture>) under Linux 3.2.57 at 2014-05-01 14:47:00 +0100.
1 processor detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing, OXP verifier, localization tools.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

14:47:00.656 [dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
14:47:01.208 [display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 800 x 480
14:47:01.468 [gamma.set.failed]: ----- WARNING: Could not set gamma: Gamma correction not supported on this visual
14:47:01.746 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 1
14:47:01.758 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.4.0 ("1.4 glshim wrapper"). Vendor: "OpenPandora". Renderer: "GLES_CM wrapper".
14:47:01.759 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (18):
GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
14:47:02.302 [dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
14:47:02.320 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
    /mnt/utmp/oolite/oolite.app/Resources
    AddOns
    AddOns/BGS-A1.9.oxp
    AddOns/griff_station_bundle_fullsize_tex_v1.1.oxp
    AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
    AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
14:47:02.595 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
14:47:21.094 [script.javascript.init]: JavaScript reset successful.
14:47:21.294 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 11 world scripts:
    BGS-M 1.9
    BGS-XMapping 1.9
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.77
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.77
    oolite-contracts-cargo 1.77
    oolite-contracts-helpers 1.77
    oolite-contracts-parcels 1.77
    oolite-contracts-passengers 1.77
    oolite-nova 1.77
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.77
    oolite-trumbles 1.77
14:48:06.875 [BGS-XMapping]: BGS-XMapping - Shutting down. -> Cabal_Common_Library is missing
14:48:10.427 [BGS-M]: BGS-M - Shutting down. -> Cabal_Common_Library is missing
14:48:11.326 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 70.51 seconds. ==========
14:48:21.988 [screenshot]: Saved screen shot "oolite-005.png" (800 x 480 pixels).
14:49:56.562 [exit.context]: Exiting: Exit Game selected on options screen.
14:49:56.563 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2014-05-01 14:49:56 +0100.

Maybe I should also copy the logcontrol.plist for manual adjustement too...

*EDIT* Ah, yes, in fact, there is a warning, about Gamma control not supported (and it's true, no hardware gamma support here).

14:48:06.875 [BGS-XMapping]: BGS-XMapping - Shutting down. -> Cabal_Common_Library is missing14:48:10.427 [BGS-M]: BGS-M - Shutting down. -> Cabal_Common_Library is missing
Here's the lines you're looking for.. the Cabal Common Library is not installed.  It's a dependency of BGS.  You can download it here.

I think _wb_ uses espeak for his microbes game. Might be worth a look.

14:48:06.875 [bGS-XMapping]: BGS-XMapping - Shutting down. -> Cabal_Common_Library is missing
14:48:10.427 [bGS-M]: BGS-M - Shutting down. -> Cabal_Common_Library is missing
Here's the lines you're looking for.. the Cabal Common Library is not installed.  It's a dependency of BGS.  You can download it here.
Ah, thanks, will try to do something with that.

*EDIT* oh, it's another OXP, fine, I'll install it too see if the error disappear :) .

*EDIT* ah yes, much more sound now, lot's of chatters on the radio now (and he definitely need a swapfile now)

I think _wb_ uses espeak for his microbes game. Might be worth a look.
Ah, ok, I'll see if his build is more stable.

*EDIT* I checked, but he used the command line executable "speak". I need the lib "libespeak" for oolite (maybe _wb_ can send me his version). Mine hang quickly, and I have a few alsa messages also.

New build on the repo. So build 04 is based on 1.77.1, some graphics issues have been fixed, and the launch script has been refined. The only thing missing is speech with espeak now (and shaders).

Build 04

----------

• The downsize of large textures has been improved
  • Fixed some missing graphics
  • Use 1.77.1 as codebased
  • The launch script put a copy of some plist file for easing hacking
  • Fixed screenshot function (shift *)

Maybe I should also copy the logcontrol.plist for manual adjustement too...
The default settings are pretty sensible, when it comes to troubleshooting.. as a general rule there should be no need to change things.

Since I've been trying different OXP's (AddOns) on my CC unit, I've found it goes very slow, or won't boot at all. I've created a swap file and placed it in the home folder of oolite, making it 500mb and now oolite runs fine, even with about 20 OXPs installed. Whether this is a fluke or not, but it's but is it the right/best place for the swap file, and is there a best or too big a size to use, would making it larger increase performance, or is there a standard size that would normally be used?

edit: i see the swap file is already mentioned, sorry about that ( should've read back abit before posting). Is it in the right place, just for my info, im clueless about these things :blink:  .... erm, no i'm just clueless fulstop :)

Thanks so much for working on this port PtitSeb!! to get it on the unit is amazing, to get it to this stage is bow n scrape worthy to me :) downloading build 04 as i type!

Wow, that's amazing! Those blue flames look better than they do in some of the youtube vids I've watched. I might be able to switch to a better-looking oxp now!

If you don't mind me asking again, have you looked at making the radar easier to read? You can see in the second pic that the vertical lines of ships on the scanner are a different shade to the blobs, and I personally find them quite hard to see quickly on such a small screen. If they were the same shade like on the original versions I've played, I suspect it would be quicker to read.

with regards to changing the HUD compass "in-game" in my re than little humble opinion, i don't think it really needs to be done, as there are so many HUD OXPs which change the compass, and also OXPs that change solely the compass, and THEN theres the option in the data plists which you cani now change directly by copying one of the compass plists and altering effects withhin that. I'm not saying rely solely on OXPs for a fix to all, but then we've got to consider the effects that altering the compass would have, as if you've got a "busy compass" such as the Tionisla orbital graveyard, which has HUNDREDS of compass hits it could make things difficult to identify, as which bit would you change, the width of the stick etc. The HUD OXPs i would recommend to have a look at would be DeepspaceHUD.oxp,  Widescreen HUD.oxp, the comnat HUD and best i think the Numerical HUD.oxp.

As i say i may not be looking at it from the correct perspective, pardon the pun, but i just think that it would be difficult with such a small area to enhance the magnifying aspect, and keep everything okay. but thats my two penneth, now its for other thoughts.

On a different matter ive got 30 OXPs now installed including the BGS including the cabal common library and the snoopers oxp which is very memory intensive, running on my CC unit, without any noticable delays, the sound is perfect :) . Also the work on the plumes i think s fantastic, not only does it make ships SO much easier to spot and track, but other objectsappear lighter and easier to see from grater distances. if i were to recommend an OXP, it would definately be the BGS set, griffs shipset, as mentioned by PtitSeb earlier. the tionisla graveyard is great eye candy, and now, after this update give hyperradio.oxp with exchangable music packs, or music of your own that you can switch on, change or ignore (but i had pto cheat with the olite-save to give me a few more credits, just so i could see what other things are on offer (but i promise i havent cheated with  commander milinks save file, as i'll "earn or burn" lol!) oh yeah, the customsounds, and the SIRFyard.oxp both of which i did almost 10 years ago, before we had shaders, and i had that stubborn "C" illness that played havoc with my memory... what..who... where am i?  :p for missions, i would definately recommend the assassins guild, and i thinkits called commies...

Oh, I didn't realise that was configurable via OXP. In that case, ignore my request - no point changing the code.

To be honest, I'm getting quite good at putting stuff roughly in front then spitting round 360 degrees to work out if it's off axis, and if so by how much and where. Spin it to the top, pull back a bit, spin again to check. Combine that with the missile lock indicator, and combat's quite doable. I am now officially Average in this game, woohoo!

@levi - have you found a personal favourite OXP as yet, ive spent my time swapping three hats, 1) Cmdr milinks trying to earn his crust as they did in the good 'ol days, 2) having a look at as many OXPs as i can, so i dont fill my AddOns folder with worthless junk, and 3) trying to push the port to its limits, whose limits are far higher than the capabilities of my CC pandora probably :) although i'm currently sweet talking my wife to by me the 1GHz model for our anniversery in july, hardkess the best of gifts ( in other peoples opinions lol!)

ive got to say the BGS set of three OXPs adds a lot of ..hmm whats the word, aura?...  along with now, some of Griffs ship models, and alike, ive found the marketobserver.OXP you recommended is a brilliant addition. The Deepspace OXPs are all v.good,  i just dont want to cheat to get things like the adcanced nav computer etc before ive earnt it, otherwise im ginna be kicking myself the whole way through thinking if only i hadnt....... or is that just me? 

Not really. I'm keeping it all pretty vanilla for now, but I definitely want to try out some ambiance OXPs when I get time. Choice is a bit overwhelming is all, but I'll definitely try out the BGS add-ons, and give Snoopers a try.

I've noticed a small bug remains - while my aft and external views show blue flames, I don't see any on enemy ships, even up close. Thus it can still be quite hard to spot them if you're slightly off target and your missiles etc. don't lock on.

A quick question for any experienced players - what does Maintenance Overhaul do?

Oh, and a tip for using the MarketObservers OXP. Don't get too caught up on percentages - a 50% markup on food when food is only 5 credits means only 2.5 credits per tonne, but a 25% markup on liquors at 30 odd credits per tonne means 7 credits per tonne. Buying computers from industrial planets can be especially profitable.

Hi folks,

I'm still quite unclear on how I can switch yaw and roll on the dpad. Is it simply a matter of copying a keyconfig.plist from the oolite wiki into the GNUStep defaults folder?

Edit:

Tested. Nope.

Edit2:

Unpacked the pnd. Modded the keyconfig.plist in the .app/config folder and its still not working. Dpad config compiled in?

Hi folks,

I'm still quite unclear on how I can switch yaw and roll on the dpad. Is it simply a matter of copying a keyconfig.plist from the oolite wiki into the GNUStep defaults folder?

Edit:

Tested. Nope.

Edit2:

Unpacked the pnd. Modded the keyconfig.plist in the .app/config folder and its still not working. Dpad config compiled in?
There is a copy of the keyconfig.plist in appdata/oolite/AddOns/Config for you to modify and it should be used be the game. You don't need to unpak the PND. I'll check on how to do that...

I've noticed a small bug remains - while my aft and external views show blue flames, I don't see any on enemy ships, even up close. Thus it can still be quite hard to spot them if you're slightly off target and your missiles etc. don't lock on.
Uh? I do have the blue flame on other ships to. I have done a screenshot of that earlier. That's strange you don't have them. And I think @milinks got them too.

On a different matter ive got 30 OXPs now installed including the BGS including the cabal common library and the snoopers oxp which is very memory intensive, running on my CC unit, without any noticable delays, the sound is perfect :) .
30?  That's pretty impressive, given your memory constraints.. if you don't mind me asking, could you list them, please?

Oh, I didn't realise that was configurable via OXP. In that case, ignore my request - no point changing the code.
Possibly the most useful idea would be to try a HUD with a larger than normal scanner.  There are several available, of which my personal favourite is the NumericHUD3.  There are also some HUDs which have a transparent contrast overlay over the scanner.  Possibly, that might make it easier to see the lollipop sticks.

A quick question for any experienced players - what does Maintenance Overhaul do?
Combat and normal wear-and-tear all contribute to the gradual deterioration of your ships condition.  In the short term, this manifests most clearly in the steadily dropping trade-in value of your ship.  If you continue to ignore maintenance, your ship will begin to experience fuel leaks from time to time, and eventually your hyperdrive engine will become so misaligned that you will start to experience failures and even mis-jumps, which will dump you into interstellar space, where the Thargoids will be sure to give you a hot reception.  If you're very unlucky, you might not have enough fuel remaining to get back to the nearest star system.

So.. Maintenance Overhauls are important.  The higher the tech-level of the Station where you get the overhaul performed, the better the job the mechanics will do, and the longer it will be before your next overhaul will be required (unless, of course, you make a habit of getting heavily shot up every trip! ;) ).  There is a maximum limit on how badly worn-out a ship can get.. but by that point, you can expect problems on almost every jump you make.  And a mis-jump immediately followed by a fuel leak will really ruin your day.

On a related note, if you are going to upgrade to a new ship, you will get the best possible trade-in value on your old ship if you get an overhaul at a high-tech-level system immediately before you do the deal.

Finally, there is a wealth of information available both on the Oolite Wiki and the Bulletin Board, and I'd like to invite you all to pop in to the BB and say hi, ask questions, and poke around.  We are a very friendly bunch, (some say "the friendliest Board this side of Riedquat"™) and we love helping people out and answering questions about our favourite game.  We believe there is no such thing as a stupid question, and I can guarantee you that we never flame people.

Hi folks,

Edit:

Tested. Nope.

Edit2:

There is a copy of the keyconfig.plist in appdata/oolite/AddOns/Config for you to modify and it should be used be the game. You don't need to unpak the PND. I'll check on how to do that...
Fantastic. Works a treat. Thanks a lot ptitseb.

i can second that. just joined a month ago and have had several noob questions answered without any of the usual gruff manner of other forums.....

also for more immersion into the oolite ooniverse i would recommend you to read the ebooks of Drew Wagar they are free by his choice.... and quite good too....

Back