Release Oolite

The button for the missile armed is "T"

The button for the missile safe is "U"

the button for the ident system is "R"

..... just for info

I considered suggesting crossing the controls (R trigger for d-pad, L trigger for buttons), I just worry a little that conceptually that's a little more complex and explaining it might be harder.  But I'm certainly not against the idea.  It's perhaps worth noting that L-button should continue to act as shift, as there are quite a few upper-case commands, including shift T to target incoming missiles (which I could either remain on the keyboard, or be done by shift+ctrl+End maybe?)

Here's your keys for you:

{L} + DPad Left/Right = Yaw => . / ,

{L} + DPad Up/Down = Speed  => w / s

{X} = Laser                 => a

{B} = untarget              => u <=

{A} = id                    => r <=

{Y} = ecm                   => e

{R} + {B} = target          => t ? yes

{R} + {X} = missile         => m <=

{R} + {A} = Jump            => j

{R} + {Y} = Hyperspace      => h

A couple more requests for keys while I'm here too: it'd be more Pandora-y IMO if you could buy equipment with B/X instead of Enter (on the 3/F3 screen when docked).  Also when you complete a passenger/cargo transport it asks you to press space to dismiss the dialogue, it might be nice to move that to the gaming controls too (although you'd need to change both the key and message there, and it's harder to test so you can leave that on the backlog if you like).

I've taken up as a space taxi driver lately, shipping passengers around the galaxy and wheeling a dealing a few tonnes of this and that along the way.  Fitted heat shields and scoops so I can skim my gas off the top of the local star and they hyperspace away if there's nothing at the station to tempt me.  Might be helpful to be able to select the compass target, cos finding that sun can sometimes be surprisingly hard without selecting it.  That's currently backslash/hash, so a FN+key either way.  You could map that to 'k', which I think is unused.

I've also bought a galactic navigation doohickey with my wages, but I can't seem to get that working.  I'm expecting it to show a line from the local star to the target one via the intermediate hyperspaces.  Yet I don't get a line, even if I target a star on the black bit of screen.  Am I doing it wrong, and if not, is that something that's likely to be fixed with the white band fix?

I'm currently trying to get to Arraesso, and have so far discovered that I can't get to it from the left, or the top and am currently swinging round to the right to see if I can get to it's neighbouring stars that way.  Bit tricky when it's all in the white band area and I have to test the area by selecting an area and seeing what the cursor snaps to.

I considered suggesting crossing the controls (R trigger for d-pad, L trigger for buttons), I just worry a little that conceptually that's a little more complex and explaining it might be harder.  But I'm certainly not against the idea.  It's perhaps worth noting that L-button should continue to act as shift, as there are quite a few upper-case commands, including shift T to target incoming missiles (which I could either remain on the keyboard, or be done by shift+ctrl+End maybe?)

Here's your keys for you:

{R} + DPad Left/Right = Yaw => . / ,

{R} + DPad Up/Down = Speed  => w / s

{B} = untarget              => u

{A} = id                    => r

{L} + {B} = target          => t

{L} + {X} = missile         => m

{L} + {A} = Jump            => j

{L} + {Y} = Hyperspace      => h

k

A couple more requests for keys while I'm here too: it'd be more Pandora-y IMO if you could buy equipment with B/X instead of Enter (on the 3/F3 screen when docked).  Also when you complete a passenger/cargo transport it asks you to press space to dismiss the dialogue, it might be nice to move that to the gaming controls too (although you'd need to change both the key and message there, and it's harder to test so you can leave that on the backlog if you like).

I've taken up as a space taxi driver lately, shipping passengers around the galaxy and wheeling a dealing a few tonnes of this and that along the way.  Fitted heat shields and scoops so I can skim my gas off the top of the local star and they hyperspace away if there's nothing at the station to tempt me.  Might be helpful to be able to select the compass target, cos finding that sun can sometimes be surprisingly hard without selecting it.  That's currently backslash/hash, so a FN+key either way.  You could map that to 'k', which I think is unused.

I've also bought a galactic navigation doohickey with my wages, but I can't seem to get that working.  I'm expecting it to show a line from the local star to the target one via the intermediate hyperspaces.  Yet I don't get a line, even if I target a star on the black bit of screen.  Am I doing it wrong, and if not, is that something that's likely to be fixed with the white band fix?

I'm currently trying to get to Arraesso, and have so far discovered that I can't get to it from the left, or the top and am currently swinging round to the right to see if I can get to it's neighbouring stars that way.  Bit tricky when it's all in the white band area and I have to test the area by selecting an area and seeing what the cursor snaps to.
Ok.

About Pandora keymap, I intended to do it at a very "low level", in the function that read SDL key and transform them to Oolite key. So it is for all the game, I cannot do a per screen.

About k -> slash, yeah, why not, and don't worry, {L} will still be shift (and {R} ctrl}

So, I recap:

{R} + DPad Left/Right = Yaw => . / ,

{R} + {B} = target          => t

{R} + {L} + {B} = target missile => shift + t

{R} + {X} = missile         => m

{R} + {A} = Jump            => j

{R} + {Y} = Hyperspace      => h

k = compass target          => \

the good thing about oolite is there is such a massive fan base, that anything that can be researched and documented has been :) , everything is on the main wiki site (link on page 1) If you go to the planets section http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_planet_list/Galaxy_1

it gives a list of every galaxy and each planet. in that galaxy, AND the routes available to get to the planet. For anyone who enjoyed the Novella, the Dark Wheel that came with the original Elite, then I HIGHLY recommend reading the works of Drew Wagar at

http://www.drewwagar.com/books

He has written numerous novels following in the footsteps of the original Novella, and in my opinion are not only of full novel length, but also fantastic in their own right, using the background of oolite they are definately worth looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to bring this up again, with regards to the shaders/graphics etc.. when playin the same version of oolite onthe PC there are a number of differences, the easiest one to explain/show would be the exhaust plume, which extends/reduces from the back of the shipa ccording to the speed.This can be easily seen using the external view "V" key. onthe pandora port there are no plumes, which suggests a problem. Im using a pandora CC unit, if anyone can look at their external view and see if they have the exhaust plume (easiest way to see if the shaders are working) and post back if they are having no plumes ona1GHz unit for example, ive attached a photo of what it should look like

84875476-EA9B-47C3-AB43-89A4C2DDFCDE.JPG

A response from the oolite boards... obvioulsy i appreciate this is a port, and that certain parts may not work, and its not viable to strip it down and start from ground up... but i dont know if this is of any help :blink:

"Are there exhaust plumes in non-external views, then? (Aft view on your own ship, or following someone else?)

If so, I have no idea: it shouldn't make any difference which camera you use.

If not, but lasers and suns do work, then I would guess an issue with support for GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP in whatever OpenGL library/driver is in use. It might be possible to modify OOExhaustPlumeEntity to work around the problem, in that case."

Thanks.  Damnit, I was stuck at Quorte needing to get to Arraesso in under 6 days.  As it was I ran out of time at some point in hyperspace before Qube, but thankfully the passenger still gave me a couple of grand for my trouble (I forget what the original contract was).  A nice surprise, especially as the silly cat creature probably got baked as I scooped for fuel.

Another minor graphical issue.  On coriolis stations like Lave there's a dissected circular texture on the face of the space station surrounding the opening.  As you approach, it appears to be shimmering as parts of it disappear behind the face of the station.  Guess it's a precision issue, and really not a big deal.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention - I think the problem with the radar is not that the lines are too thin, but that they are rendered in a darker shade of the main colour, to simulate a thin line I guess.  If they were full brightness, I don't think there would be a problem.

Edit: Yes, no plume visible in the aft view.  It's just like the BBC version.

About Pandora keymap, I intended to do it at a very "low level", in the function that read SDL key and transform them to Oolite key. So it is for all the game, I cannot do a per screen.
That's fine, I think that's the only place Return is used.  I just mentioned it's on F3 for when you come to test it.

Have you seen this by the way?  Strikes me much of this is configurable via a text file.

@Levi, ive not got access to a PC at the mo, (something to do with my wife and farm frenzy!) with the case of creating the Addons folder which wasnt initially created in the first build but works fine when the folders created, could you try (if youve got a pc and oolite installed) copy the plist, with the same folder heirachy to see if it recognises any key changes you make, not sure if that makes sense :)

So, the next build is coming soon. I have implemented the keymap as shown in post #44 with the only difference of "k" => "\", I prefered to map "START" => "\", incase you need "k" to type things...

About shader, well, don't forget it's an GLES|1.1 port, so no shaders (that would need a GLES|2 port, plus probably some shader rewrite). So maybe some effet are missing. It's an OpenGL 1.5 card, more or less, not an OpenGL 2.0, sorry.

Thanks for that PtitSeb, i apprecite how much effort you out into this, and ALL the other ports youre working on. Also showing the TOTAL lack of knowledge on the capabilities of the pandora, sorry about that :(

Thanks for that PtitSeb, i apprecite how much effort you out into this, and ALL the other ports youre working on. Also showing the TOTAL lack of knowledge on the capabilities of the pandora, sorry about that :(
Ah, the Pandora is capable of doing GLES|2, but that's much more difficult to port GL -> GLES|2. So most port are using "fixed pipeline" only (and you have to choose, 1.1 or 2.0, not both at the same time).

New build on the repo, with the new keymap and most (all?) texture problem fixed.

So, the implemented keymap is:

{R} + DPad Left/Right = Yaw => , / .
{L} + {B} = target          => t

{L} + {R} + {B} = target missile => shift + t
{L} + {X} = missile         => m
{L} + {A} = Jump            => j
{L} + {Y} = Hyperspace      => h

{Start} = compass target    => \

I have implemented this keymap by hardcode (the hard way). Next time, when I compile the 1.77.1, I'll switch to the soft way, using a custom keymap.plist 

History log
=========
Build 03

----------

• Automatic downsize of large (i.e. every texture with width or height > 256 has is width and height / 2) textures (so even texture inside OXP)
  • Keymap for Pandora
  • Fixed texture issue with Radar
  • Automatically create the AddOns folder

Please test and report :)

Just had a browse with build 3 on my CC,  the white flash on the map screen is gone, the screens show up perfectly, also ive an Addon that has images within, which werent showing on build 2, however they are displaying fine on build 3. an initial "flight test" with the new controls are so much better, i think it handles well using the right trigger with the dircetional for speed etc, thanks PtitSeb :)

Yep, works well here on my GHz too.  Star charts have a nice textured background, the proper ads have started appearing in the market observer add-on.  The new controls all work, though they'll take a little getting used to - currently I keep setting off the ECM system inadvertently.

Attempted to take on my first bunch of pirates with my newly bought military laser.  I must say, pirates in this start shooting a lot earlier and are a lot more accurate than I'm used to - I can barely see them by the time they've already decimated my front shield.  I guess I need to get the hang of using my targetting computer with the new buttons.  Not to mention improving my shields.

One question about 'the soft way'.  Will it still be possible to use the original keys in addition to the game controls with that solution?

Oh and a quick note, in case it confuses anyone.  In your last post ptitseb you documented the game buttons combined with the R trigger.  That should of course be the L trigger, e.g [L] + = target (enable missiles)

One question about 'the soft way'.  Will it still be possible to use the original keys in addition to the game controls with that solution?

Oh and a quick note, in case it confuses anyone.  In your last post ptitseb you documented the game buttons combined with the R trigger.  That should of course be the L trigger, e.g [L] + = target (enable missiles)

Oups, I'll fix that.

About the "soft way", I have to double-check, not sure I can easily make ctrl-letter, and I don't know if I can put multiple key for 1 action. If it's not the case, I'll keep it "the hard way".

Looking forward to the soft keymapping. I'd love to get yaw as the default on the D-pad without having to shift. I've played enough Elite over the decades to be thoroughly fed up with constantly going up to chase other ships. Being able to just navigate left/right up/down without all that rolling nonsense would be a blessing.

Heh, I'm used to playing the BBC version with a joystick, so I have to consciously think about using yaw.

Getting more used to combat now. Being able to control speed easily is a real bonus, and being able to ident ships (A) then swich to missiles if they get a bit uppity (shift+B ) is neat. Of course, lasers on X really makes the difference when it comes to dogfighting. Made 11 kills now, so still a long way off a Right On Commander, but getting there.

Back