One More Dpad On A Gp : The Nes Cross!

PokeParadox posted on Sep 14 2006 at 01:35 PM said:
Looks nice dude, thanks for the pics!
I still would like to know if you would mod a GP2X for me ^__^ ha ha.

well i technically can, but i may fuck your GP if i slip, and then we won't be in good terms anymore :D

you know, the WWW* syndrome :D

(* "Warranty? What Warranty?" )

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I would buy a new GP2X anyway for the mod... aside from the internal repairs I've made... I want my first edition to remain a first edition! ;)

So yeah, I'd trust you with a GP2X mod and if it goes arse up... it goes arse up. I don't have the cash needed right now anyway...

nik166 posted on Sep 14 2006 at 12:10 AM said:
the real problem is having a flat surface , the additional PCB being added over resistors , but if you get over that, then the thickness is not really a problem, just a bother at most :D

a good way to get a flat surface is hot-glue:
put hot-glue on your surface and then press it onto a sheet metal (like a PC case or so... i used aluminium because of the good heat conduction, but any other shoud do it as well, i think)
the glue doesn't stick on the metal but forms a nice flat surface ;)

hmm not a bad idea :D

but hot glue is that thing that comes in little sticks and that you have to use with a little gun-like thingy isn't it? i'm not gonna buy all that stuff just for my little mod :D

but i have some things that may do the same job, i'll dig the idea :]

nik166 posted on Sep 27 2006 at 01:06 AM said:
hmm not a bad idea :D

but hot glue is that thing that comes in little sticks and that you have to use with a little gun-like thingy isn't it? i'm not gonna buy all that stuff just for my little mod :D

but i have some things that may do the same job, i'll dig the idea :]

Buy it. Hot glue is one of the standard modification tools, like a soldering iron and a "cursing like a sailor for dummies" guide. :p

i never needed hot glue those 10 past years, i'm not gonna buy that thing now :p

kardasan posted on Sep 27 2006 at 08:53 AM said:
I have an idea about center button...why don't you cut a hole in d-pad and glue it in?
i can't reach this precision level so easily :D

and if i managed to do it anyway, i'm afraid the solidity of the cross would suffer .. it's quite small there! :D

nik166 posted on Sep 27 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
i never needed hot glue those 10 past years, i'm not gonna buy that thing now :p

kardasan posted on Sep 27 2006 at 08:53 AM said:
I have an idea about center button...why don't you cut a hole in d-pad and glue it in?
i can't reach this precision level so easily :D

and if i managed to do it anyway, i'm afraid the solidity of the cross would suffer .. it's quite small there! :D
It also, even if you could mount the centre-push in the centre of the D-pad (Nintendo ones), it would be awkward to not press it when using the D-pad as it would have to be raised a bit. Also, the Nintendo D-pads have a central pivot in place which is important for its functionality - putting a centre-push here would compremise the pivot and cause stress on the wiring.

Nik166, sure, I only recently got hot glue - it is good stuff. Think about Uhu glue (or similar) which sets in a few seconds instead of an hour or so, and you get the benefit of this stuff!

For the purpose of this mod, if you don't have hot glue, there is no reason you couldn't use a little polyfiller, smooth it flat and level, only takes an hour or so to set solid: if you need a very thin layer, some glue and a piece of card (270gsm), pre-shaped to go around the transisters (and cut out with a thin layer of card still present if going over a transister), should do the trick.

It also, even if you could mount the centre-push in the centre of the D-pad (Nintendo ones), it would be awkward to not press it when using the D-pad as it would have to be raised a bit. [/quote]
no, i would count on the skin's elasticity and put the button inside the crater, so you'r have to press kinda strongly to reach it ;)
but the switches i have are too big fo fit there if they made switched that would fit in a 3mm wide hole i would give a try ...

one thing i like to use is that glue-paste made from 2 elements that becomes hard once dry, in comercials they use it as a chain link to pull a car etc :p it's quite easy to mold of course, and also to sculpt/polish etc once dry,

example :
centre.jpg

steering wheel center cover, too small, but there is pattex(henkel) paste!

centrefinal.jpg

done

it's a good material for almost anything , great for case mods, i'll certainly use it to for the "center" switch and the cross's dummy layer over the resistors :)

Been meaning to ask, what kind of hotglue is appropriate for this kind of work? Local HW-store has all sorts of, from wood to PVC. I'd imagine PCV-glu would be the thing...?

well the brand is pattex here, but can be henkel in other countries etc i guess, little stick, you cut, you mix, and you mold, as it gets sticky :)

look or ask for epoxy bi-component paste in your do-it-yourself store ;)

You did a great job of cutting your case out nik.

I posted this before, but the easiest/best way to mount the pcb is with 3M double sided tape. It will secure it stronger than you need, and will also raise it over the resistors. Mine has been holding up for months. Its the same thing automakers use to adhere body panels to many cars. STRONG.

contact%20pad%20front.jpg

hmm...
now your pins for the diagonals are not in use, right?

you could connect switches to this contacts and give it some hardwarefunctionality the gp2x is missing
for example hold, sleep, display off, speaker toggle

you would need a program running in background catching the button events and performing the action... the same program could also translate the 2-ordinal ways in a diagonal signal

what do you think of it?

jokeman posted on Oct 4 2006 at 09:19 AM said:
hmm...
now your pins for the diagonals are not in use, right?
(sound of snoring) - zzzzz

you could connect switches to this contacts and give it some hardwarefunctionality the gp2x is missing
for example hold, sleep, display off, speaker toggle

you would need a program running in background catching the button events and performing the action...
Your are confusing software with hardware here.

... the same program could also translate the 2-ordinal ways in a diagonal signal
This could be fixed in Firmware, there are lots of postings everywhere discussing this, and the alternatives.

bacteria posted on Oct 5 2006 at 10:03 AM said:
i'm confusing nothing... connecting the diagonals to additional switches is a hardware task
mapping the diagonals to functions like switch off speakers, lock all buttons or sleep (clock down CPU, turn off speaker and display) can be done in software
This could be fixed in Firmware, there are lots of postings everywhere discussing this, and the alternatives.
i know... this wasn't a question
it is necessary to not interpret the HW diagonals as diagonals, because they have new functionality now (you don't want that your character runs up-left, when you wanted to switch off your speakers)... and the same piece of software can map the 2 ordinals to diagonal...
thats all i was saying

jokeman posted on Oct 5 2006 at 12:18 PM said:
i'm confusing nothing... connecting the diagonals to additional switches is a hardware task
mapping the diagonals to functions like switch off speakers, lock all buttons or sleep (clock down CPU, turn off speaker and display) can be done in software
i know... this wasn't a question
it is necessary to not interpret the HW diagonals as diagonals, because they have new functionality now (you don't want that your character runs up-left, when you wanted to switch off your speakers)... and the same piece of software can map the 2 ordinals to diagonal...
thats all i was saying
Ah, yes, I see your point now. Actually, this could be interesting. Problem might be having these small programs running in the background using up system resources?

You could now make the speakers turn on and off by a switch, if you have a small enough one. It needs a switch with 4 wires in and 4 out, small switch, and it could be mounted at the rear of the GP2x case where there is more space available. Actually, this idea is quite nice - I may well incorporate it into my "Super GP2x mod", assuming my old unit can be repaired, (or at least, will consider implementing this feature).

Back