Ommpc

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hi there,

I was looking for a way to play my minesweeper while listening to music. I finally dicovered something a gp2x/wiz owner should know : ommpc2x.
So I did a rough port of it.

ommpc_menu.jpg

While the detach feature works realy well, gp2xmenu dislike it a lot. So you'll need to edit ommpc.gpe to start something else than caanmines on detach :D

Features :

* support : mp3, ogg, 69, AMF, APUN, DSM, FAR, GDM, IT, IMF, MED, MTM, OKT, S3M, STM, STX, ULT, UNI, AIFF, WAVE, snd, au
* Icon based menu system replaces popup menu, easily navigated with controls or touchscreen
* Now playing screen with player controls and album art.
* Translations text, currently English, Spanish, French, Russian, Korean and German. I need translations and then I'm sure stuff won't fit right and I'll have to tweak...
* Key binding configurations. There is a file 'keys' that can be modified to change the default key bindings. Press Select+Start(Home) together to see the current key bindings for each mode(playlist, now playing, etc) you are in.
* Touchscreen seek bar
* New skin/crystal icons(currently depreciated all old skins and only have this one)

[ Download ] [ Website ]

Nice one.. so you can do this with any game or emu listen to music while playing?

Thanks for your work ;)

Just need a proper Icon and Banner...

I cant get it to work. The touch screen works but it is unable to find my music. When I select refresh it goes to the correct app but never plays music. I will fool around with it a little more.

Thanks so much!
This is much better than the default player.

Some things to note:

- Music seems much quieter than default player (If you can improve this, then I will love you long time! :D )
- Pressing Album, All songs, Artists, and Genres cause it to crash for me (Filesystem does work however!)
- Random playlist works (Awesome!)
- A button switches between repeat and shuffle
- X is stop
- B is play/pause
- I button changes between menus (confused me at first but I got it)
- II button goes back to main menu
- I and II button brings up controls, but I nothing seems to be able to be done with it.
- Can't seem to figure out how to create custom playlists...
- Add all songs to playlist works. (very happy about this! :D )
- Touch screen controls take a while to get used to, but they do work quite well.
- Seems odd that moving up and down on joystick doesn't seem to work. (But left and right do work fine)

I got it working but there seems to be some overhead and is locking up my emu's from time to time. I'm going to play around with this more I'm really liking it though. Thanks again!

i make the italian translation ;) http://www.mediafire.com/?jziyn9m44sq991s if you can add to the languages disponible
great work sebt3! i really hope you continue to work on the caanoo

There doesn't seem to be scrolling arrows in the options menu, and I notice an option cut off at the bottom.

Also, some MOD files do work, but not every one.

RetroVortex said:
- Music seems much quieter than default player
- Pressing Album, All songs, Artists, and Genres cause it to crash for me (Filesystem does work however!)
Known issues.
I'm not realy confortable with how the code is constructed, but I'll see what I can do about that.

RetroVortex said:
- Seems odd that moving up and down on joystick doesn't seem to work. (But left and right do work fine)
agreed : that's realy odd. my code should allow it to works. I'll also try to fix that

ruffnutts said:
Just need a proper Icon and Banner...
I'm no designer/graphist. I'm also looking forward for some.

qbertaddict said:
I got it working but there seems to be some overhead and is locking up my emu's from time to time. I'm going to play around with this more I'm really liking it though.
While nice, the detach feature will only works well with apps not using the sound. Also, mpd is not the lightest apps on the planet . So I'm not very surprised it doesnt play too well with your emus.

I'm planning to add a picklelauncher to allow you to choose which app to start on detach (so caanmines isnt hardcoded anymore).
I'ld love a good picklelauncher skin for that.

kayuz said:
i make the italian translation ;) http://www.mediafire...jziyn9m44sq991s if you can add to the languages disponible
Thanks for that. Will be included in the next package.

kayuz said:
i really hope you continue to work on the caanoo
I'm no quitter ; I do have many other projects for the caanoo ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
New version, changes :
- Fixed the music volume (an error in my conf)
- fixed the control (up/down now work. yet again a stupidity from me)
- added a pickleLauncher on detach that will start .ini files like the gp2xmenu
- added italian translation (thanks kayuz)
- added a title (thanks FreddyBoupil)

Until the filearchive is updated, you'll find the file on my hosting : http://sebt3.openpandora.org/caanoo/?f=ommpc.zip

Still to fix : selection by album/artist and genres

Thanks for your efforts here. The Caanoo really needs a good Audio-Player (can´t test it at the moment).
My suggestion is, keep everything touchscreen and button-controlable, because there are many people suffering the analog stick.

Fantastic. Works like a dream now! :D

Hilarious glitch:

Launch Picodrive with this program's picklelauncher.
Now in Picodrive's options, turn off sound and change the clock speed. (I think it may be clock speed)

The music becomes incredibly high pitched.
Everyone sounds like a chipmunk! XD

EDIT: The higher the clock speed, the higher pitched and faster the music becomes.

Now imagine powergloves version of Tetris, sped up by about 200%.

Yeah. Insane. XD

Great work I aint got no mp3´s on my caanoo to try it lol - thanks for this, always wanted a player that can play in the background :p

Can someone do a video of this in action, still in Sweden for another week ;)

I haven't been on the forums in a while, but it's nice to check in and see ommpc living on. I'm apparently a little late this time, but anybody can feel free to drop me a line if there are any questions I can answer about the program in general or about the code.

And thanks, sebt3, for pulling the code and getting it running on the Caanoo...

Coder_TimT said:
And thanks, sebt3, for pulling the code and getting it running on the Caanoo...
Thank you instead : your code offered a solution to a problem for me ;) adding caanoo controls to ommpc and building mpd was definatly faster than adding a music feature in caanmines ;)

I've used ommpc successfully in the past on the Wiz, but can't get it to work on the Caanoo.

I have a large number of MP3s, about 14GB worth, under the "music" directory. The songs are organized into artist folders under "music".

I select Settings => Update Db, then Main menu => Music Library. On the Browse Media screen it reads "Updating Database", but after a minute or so, the screen flashes, clears and displays the PickleLauncher menu. If I quit PickleLauncher, rerun ommpc and select Music Library, it's not updating and there's nothing under Artists, Albums etc. Selecting anything on this menu except File System (which correctly displays the artist folders) causes PickleLauncher to run again.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

RetroVortex said:
- Can't seem to figure out how to create custom playlists...

You just create a file with a .m3u extension that is a list of song filenames, and put the file into the directory specified for playlists in Settings.

I haven't been able to change the playlists directory from /mnt/sd/music, though. Whether I modify the conf file directly, or via the Settings menu, it keeps getting set back to the default.

Promised Planet said:
I've used ommpc successfully in the past on the Wiz, but can't get it to work on the Caanoo.

I have a large number of MP3s, about 14GB worth, under the "music" directory. The songs are organized into artist folders under "music".

I select Settings => Update Db, then Main menu => Music Library. On the Browse Media screen it reads "Updating Database", but after a minute or so, the screen flashes, clears and displays the PickleLauncher menu. If I quit PickleLauncher, rerun ommpc and select Music Library, it's not updating and there's nothing under Artists, Albums etc. Selecting anything on this menu except File System (which correctly displays the artist folders) causes PickleLauncher to run again.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing there is some song in your library either ommpc or mpd doesn't like for some reason(unexpected characters in title or tags). There is a file mpd.conf that defines the location of an mpd log file and mpd error file, you could check those and see if they contain clues to the issue. And if there is any way to run ommpc directly from the command line, that could also give you clues. Or if that is not an option, if you could change the launcher script to redirect output to a file like './ommpc > ommpc.out' you could then look at the output that way...

I narrowed the number of MP3 files in my music folder to four, with no parent folders. I then attempted to update the DB in ommpc but again got the pickle launcher menu. I took a look at the config, as you suggested ...

There is no .mpderror file.

The .mpdlog file contains the following:

Oct 16 10:48 : state_file: failed to open /mnt/sd/apps/ommpc/.mpdstate: No such file or directory
Oct 16 10:48 : unable to read oss volume
Oct 16 10:48 : unable to set oss volume

The script already directs output to an ommpc_run.log file, which appears to contain normal info (as I remember it from the Wiz), but also contains the following info at the bottom of the log:

finished updating mpd db
updating song db
sql error: no such table: songs
unable to delesql error: no such table: songs
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): sql error: no such table: songs
Aborted
=======> no PickleLauncher
=======> But a MPD, starting the launcher

Did you already send a pm to sebt3, who did the port for the Caanoo? Maybe, he/she can give you a hint. At least he will surely know, who wrote the original code.

Promised Planet said:
I narrowed the number of MP3 files in my music folder to four, with no parent folders. I then attempted to update the DB in ommpc but again got the pickle launcher menu. I took a look at the config, as you suggested ...

There is no .mpderror file.

The .mpdlog file contains the following:

Oct 16 10:48 : state_file: failed to open /mnt/sd/apps/ommpc/.mpdstate: No such file or directory
Oct 16 10:48 : unable to read oss volume
Oct 16 10:48 : unable to set oss volume

The script already directs output to an ommpc_run.log file, which appears to contain normal info (as I remember it from the Wiz), but also contains the following info at the bottom of the log:

finished updating mpd db
updating song db
sql error: no such table: songs
unable to delesql error: no such table: songs
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): sql error: no such table: songs
Aborted
=======> no PickleLauncher
=======> But a MPD, starting the launcher

Cool, I think that might be helpful. The song information is stored in a sqlite database file named songdb. It looks like something is wrong with that. I made the (probably poor) decision to not actually create the database structure in code and instead provide a default songdb file that contains the correct database structure but no data. So it appears that file doesn't contain the database structures it's expected. I would try the default one from a fresh download and see if that gets you anywhere...

Back