Ommpc

Coder_TimT said:
Promised Planet said:
I narrowed the number of MP3 files in my music folder to four, with no parent folders. I then attempted to update the DB in ommpc but again got the pickle launcher menu. I took a look at the config, as you suggested ...

There is no .mpderror file.

The .mpdlog file contains the following:

Oct 16 10:48 : state_file: failed to open /mnt/sd/apps/ommpc/.mpdstate: No such file or directory
Oct 16 10:48 : unable to read oss volume
Oct 16 10:48 : unable to set oss volume

The script already directs output to an ommpc_run.log file, which appears to contain normal info (as I remember it from the Wiz), but also contains the following info at the bottom of the log:

finished updating mpd db
updating song db
sql error: no such table: songs
unable to delesql error: no such table: songs
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): sql error: no such table: songs
Aborted
=======> no PickleLauncher
=======> But a MPD, starting the launcher

Cool, I think that might be helpful. The song information is stored in a sqlite database file named songdb. It looks like something is wrong with that. I made the (probably poor) decision to not actually create the database structure in code and instead provide a default songdb file that contains the correct database structure but no data. So it appears that file doesn't contain the database structures it's expected. I would try the default one from a fresh download and see if that gets you anywhere...

I actually did get a fresh download from the Caanoo file archive: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,749

The songdb file contained within the archive is zero bytes in size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Promised Planet said:
I actually did get a fresh download from the Caanoo file archive: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,749

Hmmm, I do believe that is a problem. Grab the file out of the wiz archive and see what happens. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,184

And we'll need to get sebt3 to update the caanoo port if we verify this is indeed the problem...

***EDIT*** Wrong link

Coder_TimT said:
And we'll need to get sebt3 to update the caanoo port if we verify this is indeed the problem...
I'll be glad to help if you actually find what's wrong ;)

Coder_TimT said:
Promised Planet said:

Hmmm, I do believe that is a problem. Grab the file out of the wiz archive and see what happens. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,184

***EDIT*** Wrong link

That did it! With the songdb file from the Wiz archive, updating the database and browsing by artist/album works. Nice.

sebt3 said:
Coder_TimT said:

The songdb file in the Caanoo version of ommpc is corrupt. It should be replaced with the one in the Wiz version of ommpc.

Promised Planet said:
Coder_TimT said:
Promised Planet said:

***EDIT*** Wrong link

That did it! With the songdb file from the Wiz archive, updating the database and browsing by artist/album works. Nice.

Good deal.

sebt3 said:
Coder_TimT said:

Okay, couple questions. What revision of the code is the caanoo port based on? The version listed in the archive link is 0.4.3. Latest gp2x/wiz code should be in tags/v0_4_6final. From looking at what I think is an earlier build for the caanoo, it seemed like it might have had some files from the Pandora release in it, and that might have been where the 0 byte songdb file came from. The pandora build had a songdb.pnd file that was copied over to the user settings area on first run of the PND... Anyway, getting the file from the wiz archive should fix this problem...

Another issue is the error referring to a ".mpdstate" file, which is not in the archive. I see that the mpd.conf file has configured this as the state file ... should it be configured to refer to ".ommcState" instead?

Thanks.

Promised Planet said:
Another issue is the error referring to a ".mpdstate" file, which is not in the archive. I see that the mpd.conf file has configured this as the state file ... should it be configured to refer to ".ommcState" instead?

Thanks.

Actually those are two different state files. I would expect .mpdstate to be created by MPD on first run if it's not there. Does the file still not exists after running the program for the first time?

Coder_TimT said:
Promised Planet said:

Thanks.

Actually those are two different state files. I would expect .mpdstate to be created by MPD on first run if it's not there. Does the file still not exists after running the program for the first time?

Oops, yes, it does exist. Sorry.

Not sure if this is related, but the .mpdlog file gets a new entry which reads "unable to read oss volume", every time I start ommpc.

Thanks.

Promised Planet said:
Coder_TimT said:
Promised Planet said:

Thanks.

Oops, yes, it does exist. Sorry.

Not sure if this is related, but the .mpdlog file gets a new entry which reads "unable to read oss volume", every time I start ommpc.

Thanks.

I think that's probably just MPD trying different methods of volume control. As long as you have sound and can adjust volume, I wouldn't worry about it.

Coder_Tim, one more question ....

How does ommpc determine what to use for a genre?

I'm only vaguely familiar with MP3 tagging, but I know there are different versions of tags (IDV31, IDV32.x etc.). I've used a tool called MediaMonkey to tag my MP3s, but after running Update DB, ommpc seems to be seeing a different set of genre tags. For example, an MP3 that might have a genre of "Rock" in MediaMonkey will have "Unknown" in ommpc. But there are other non-"Unknown" genres in ommpc, so it is picking up genre tags from somewhere.

Thanks.

Promised Planet said:

I'm only vaguely familiar with MP3 tagging, but I know there are different versions of tags (IDV31, IDV32.x etc.). I've used a tool called MediaMonkey to tag my MP3s, but after running Update DB, ommpc seems to be seeing a different set of genre tags. For example, an MP3 that might have a genre of "Rock" in MediaMonkey will have "Unknown" in ommpc. But there are other non-"Unknown" genres in ommpc, so it is picking up genre tags from somewhere.

Thanks.

Reading tags is in the realm of MPD. I'm not 100% sure at this point, but I think it uses libmp3tag for mp3s. Had some issues with getting tags from AAC files at one point, but don't recall issues with mp3s. It might not like the version of libmp3tag available on the Caanoo...unfortunately, I'm really not sure.

Coder_TimT said:
Promised Planet said:

Thanks.

Reading tags is in the realm of MPD. I'm not 100% sure at this point, but I think it uses libmp3tag for mp3s. Had some issues with getting tags from AAC files at one point, but don't recall issues with mp3s. It might not like the version of libmp3tag available on the Caanoo...unfortunately, I'm really not sure.

Tim, my apologies. I wasn't aware that MediaMonkey displays tag information from its database. I needed to sync that info to the MP3 files on disk.

After that, ommpc displays genres as expected. Great stuff! Thanks.

Promised Planet said:
Tim, my apologies. I wasn't aware that MediaMonkey displays tag information from its database. I needed to sync that info to the MP3 files on disk.

I'm RL busy these days. Yet I plan to fix my package on the filearchive. Could you list me the improvements I should do on the package regarding your exchanges in this thread with Tim ?

EDIT : thanks & done ;)

sebt3 said:
Promised Planet said:

I'm RL busy these days. Yet I plan to fix my package on the filearchive. Could you list me the improvements I should do on the package regarding your exchanges in this thread with Tim ?

All that needs to be done is to replace the songdb file in the current archive with the one in the Wiz port's archive.

Thanks!

Coder_TimT and sebt3;

A problem with ommpc ... while playing a song, if I select "Detach Client", I get the PickleLauncher menu. Is this expected behavior?

Also, at the same time, sometimes the song plays at a slower speed.

Thanks.

Promised Planet said:
A problem with ommpc ... while playing a song, if I select "Detach Client", I get the PickleLauncher menu. Is this expected behavior?
Yes. the caanoo menu expect to have acces to the sound device or crash, so the pickle menu is a simple remplacement to allow you to pick an other app (choose any .ini file) to run while listening to music. (at first the detach feature started caanmines, but I though some might want to do other things than a minesweeper :D)

Promised Planet said:
mpd (the music demon that play music in the background for ommpc) is sensible to cpu frequency changes. there is high chance pickleLauncher change the cpu frequency. Check it's configuration ;)

sebt3 said:
Promised Planet said:
Yes. the caanoo menu expect to have acces to the sound device or crash, so the pickle menu is a simple remplacement to allow you to pick an other app (choose any .ini file) to run while listening to music. (at first the detach feature started caanmines, but I though some might want to do other things than a minesweeper :D )

OK. Tried the MAME4all ini file, and it would just go back to the PickleLauncher menu. Maybe something freaky about MAME4all. Is there any way to just go back to the Caanoo menu?

sebt3 said:
Promised Planet said:
mpd (the music demon that play music in the background for ommpc) is sensible to cpu frequency changes. there is high chance pickleLauncher change the cpu frequency. Check it's configuration ;)

I will, though this behavior isn't consistent.

Thanks for your help.

Promised Planet said:
OK. Tried the MAME4all ini file, and it would just go back to the PickleLauncher menu. Maybe something freaky about MAME4all. Is there any way to just go back to the Caanoo menu?
The app need to not use the sound device. I'm pretty sure no emulator will work (as they all use sound) but fbreader should work like any games without sound and music.

As said, the caanoo menu crash immediately if mpd is playing. You definatly dont want to face a black screen ;)

sebt3 said:
Promised Planet said:
The app need to not use the sound device. I'm pretty sure no emulator will work (as they all use sound) but fbreader should work like any games without sound and music.

As said, the caanoo menu crash immediately if mpd is playing. You definatly dont want to face a black screen ;)

Thanks sebt. I asked because I could've sworn that when I had a Wiz, I was able to play Mame while also playing music via ommpc ... but I might not remember correctly.

Back