Old, reliable, and weird stuff.

I've been gone for awhile. Got sucked into real life yet I managed to come out fine. My fiance couldn't keep a secret about my christmas present after realizing she may have gotten the wrong thing.  I wanted a straight blade.. She got me something in between a safety and a straight blade.

Rolls1-1.jpg

0311_razor_01.jpg

il_570xN.406447166_nbtc.jpg

It's a rolls razor. The example I shall be receiving is mint condition, from the 1920's (Supposedly) but alas it is missing its handle however a quick search on ebay came up with a complete one to use for parts for cheap. It looks a little beat up but its a part machine.

Also I have began curling my mustache into a handlebar styling. My fiance just saw the results tonight and her reaction was priceless. She likes it and so do I. It's going to be highly curious to see how the world reacts.

The Rolls Razor is interesting.  Lemme know how things go with it.  I hadn't heard of these before today, and after looking into them a bit I want to try one out.  I still have plenty of blades my razors, and this would eliminate the need for more of those.  Looks nice, and I would probably enjoy using one.  I really recommend a decent brush and soap/cream you like the feel and/or smell of.  You can use something from a can, but, for the sake of your face and the blade, use something. ;)

What wax are you using?  I used the Clubman stuff since it was what my father used and it was available locally back then.  I wasn't too happy with the results (it didn't last through the day, and I didn't like that some had color since I have a variety of hair colors) and have looked at a few of the others I have found online in recent years.  I don't want to do anything fancy anymore, just keep a couple of hairs from sticking out at weird angles without it looking like I have a bunch of stuff in my face fur.

Its the clubman? I think. It came in a package of three tubes all with brushes and green comb. I lost the first one and ended up using my electric trimmer mustache comb. Seriously haven't used that thing much in the three years i've had it. Just used it yesterday to trim up the small growth under the handle bars.. 

A rolls razor needs to be honed and stropped like a straight edge also the fancy art deco case id your hone and strop. The good news is units are cheap..but mimy condition ones demand a premium.. My fiance was nearly crying when she found it was missing the handle. 

Oh yes my fiance is also getting me a kit and a silver tipped brush as well. Shes spoiling me so much it's making me feel guilty. But I have an idea of what to purchase.

That thing looks...dangerous! 
default_ph34r.png
 How is it handled?

3e3ab3d055037bce87fd93a249f43d2b.jpg

100152d1340853111-post-your-original-manufacturer-instructions-rolls-razor-instructions.jpg

Rolls-Razor-Instructions.jpg

Hope that makes sense. I found the photos of mine thats coming.

il_570xN.780447703_li87.jpg

il_570xN.780447695_1ltk.jpg

You need to use some pressure with it and go with the grain of the hair.  You dont treat it like a safety or a straight blade. If you hone a strop the blade correctly it will give you a better shave then anything modern. Nearly any straight blade will. 

However most people are afraid of splicing off thier faces. Me ive done enough research on the top i have a general idea of what i need to do.

Just because i had them at hand and to push the thread, here are some of my cameras:
I168zGY.jpg

This one is from around 1920, i like the rusty look:
vzjxPYR.jpg

Format 9x6 is impressive:
rtuNdrQ.jpg

Averagely you pay 15€ bucks for such cameras on the flea marked.
The lubtitel is even still on sale as new on the net for 400€, i paid 5.

Old stuff:

Agfa Billy Zero camera http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Agfa_Billy_Zero
A joystick with a game port connector
Some Amstrad CPC tapes
Some of my school work from primary school

Other stuff:

A copy of Benjamin Rabbit and the stranger danger, which has a foreword written by Jimmy Savile (notorious paedophile)

there's more than likely more stuff than that, but as usual my memory is a bit foggy on the subject.

Last edited:
Here's a souvenir I got at the Musical Museum, Kew Bridge.
(You should go there. They have beautiful pieces of wooden furniture. Some of which happen to play the violin.)
themodist_roll.jpg

themodist_roll2.jpg

The museum has limited archive space, so they sell off any damaged or duplicate rolls from the collection for a quid each, alongside branded pencil sharpeners and generic tourist tat.
I don't know how old this example actually is, but I'm guessing ninety to a hundred years, given that it was listed in the manufactures 1914 catalogue, they probably didn't make many during the first world war, and the bottom dropped out of the market once gramophones became practical. If I remember rightly, it's about 14m long, and in pretty good condition throughout - complete with original box.

Only problem is that I don't have anything to play it on :(

Cool, I used to have some friends with an automatic piano but nothing to play on it. Maybe I should get you in touch? Although that's half a country and half a lifetime away now, so then again, probably not.

One of strange things in my old computer collection: The programmer module.

Components:
1970s, Poland. One of national printing companies bought a Western (West German or Swiss?) printing machine, these times it was almost impossible in Eastern block. The machine had a very strict operating regime, requiring to switch modes and tools every specified operation time. To do it, it was needed to go to console, stop the series printing and use the switches to make it change tools. Then during operation, removed tool could be passed to re-generation while another one was installed in changing mechanism.
To make things easier, some members of staff related to ham radio decided to build a driver using purely relays and 74 circuits. The part you can see here is a programming module, which was used to set times for sequences. By connecting different wires to different screws, it was possible to program length of different stages and how frequently they were executed.
The device was in operation until early 1990s and never failed.

Only problem is that I don't have anything to play it on

Well, you can make pictures (either with a camera or a scanner) making sure you have green or red as the background so you can detect holes by RGB colors, then stitch these together with software
once you done that, you write a small image interpreter that goes through the holes and position and translate that to keypresses, and then writes it to Midi format (or similar MOD) format. Then you load samples, say, a piano, and you are ready to go.... it can be done...

Getting this set up takes a bit, for example, you will need a camera pointing down, as to make the picture from the same height. So I imagine a modified ladder or similar, where you slowly roll the paper under...

oh... and some musicians can read it directly, and if you unroll it, they can play it while they read it...
(just take a transparent piece of plastic, and write with a marker where the note in the hole should be, so you move it up, write the notes, roll, move plastic up, write notes, etc)

Here's a souvenir I got at the Musical Museum, Kew Bridge.
(You should go there. They have beautiful pieces of wooden furniture. Some of which happen to play the violin.)
View attachment 30104
View attachment 30103

The museum has limited archive space, so they sell off any damaged or duplicate rolls from the collection for a quid each, alongside branded pencil sharpeners and generic tourist tat.
I don't know how old this example actually is, but I'm guessing ninety to a hundred years, given that it was listed in the manufactures 1914 catalogue, they probably didn't make many during the first world war, and the bottom dropped out of the market once gramophones became practical. If I remember rightly, it's about 14m long, and in pretty good condition throughout - complete with original box.

Only problem is that I don't have anything to play it on :(

That's a nice item to own you got there.
About the violin furniture, I was just reading this today on Geekologie, wonder is this similar to what you saw?
http://geekologie.com/2017/03/the-hupfeld-phonoliszt-violina-a-player.php

I might visit there soon then myself, tie it in with a trip the the gardens

The one I heard was a rare two-violin Mills Novelty Co Violano Virtuoso (Fitted with replica Stradivarii, no less) - but there's a hupfeld phonoliszt violina sitting right next to it.
They also have a second, single-violin Violano Virtuoso awaiting restoration, and two more that got shipped off to the Museum Speelklok as part of an exhibit exchange (I think).

</nerd>

Soo I guess this is kinda of old.. But the other day I pulled out my eeepc701. I was one of the first in line for it when it came out and I loved that computer it started me on umpcs.

Anyway I was able to get Debian 8 installed with lxde and network manager (on a 4gb ssd with 1.7gb free no less) so it lives again after about 5 years of neglect.

One of these days I'll pull out my OQO1, or viliv n5, maybe the Jornada 720 which I had jlime working on, for a huge challenge maybe the dell axim x5 that is around here somewhere.

No real purpose for this post, except an old faithful friend is back.

http://i.imgur.com/3GtpBQ7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm typing this on my eeePC 901 with a broken second SSD controller, so only the 4GB SSD is accessible (or present at all, in fact). Although I do have a large SD card inserted in the slot and taped over, containing my /home, /var and /usr partitions (my 4GB SSD contains the root and /boot partitions). It's running Arch with LXDE installed, plus firefox, gimp and libreoffice, in about 4.1GB of used space currently (just cleaned my /var directory of old package defs, saving about 1.6GB).

Nice coincidence. I bought bad Eee PC 900 today in a flea market, fixed it (quite simple thing related to BIOS), and put WinXP on it. Works relatively nice even for Internet, as I have a habit of using NoScript with whitelist.
How big card I can put into it?
Is there anything important when installing Debian on it? I was thinking about LXDE or MATE.

I last used Debian 6 on this, and the install process was relatively straightforward then, should only be better now. I've a recollection at the time I had to wire it to the router to do the initial update, but once it had installed them the drivers for the wifi card worked relatively well. Probably now those drivers are on the install medium, so that's unlikely to be a problem.

I'm using a cheapo sandisk 128GB SDXC card. The card claims class 10 support, and UHS-I, but in practice I've never seen anything above about 8MBps when actually copying data around. I just did a dd from /dev/zero though, and that reports 13MBps. Nowhere near the claimed 80MBps so probably not using the UHS interface at all, just the old SD interface. It's all reformatted to ext4, of course, so I didn't even try to use it with the original filesystem.

Back