Simple 2d Animation Tool?

Wegg

Still Fresh
I'm super excited about the Pandora for all the great gaming but sometimes on my current PDA I like to just doodle. Fun little sketches or animations.

So I looked around for some linux apps that might do the trick and found one called Pencil. I even found a link to it's source code.

Would something like this be difficult to port to the Pandora?

If you have seen the ubuntu video, they were able to run gimp nicely :)
Inkscape in pandora would be much more awesome though.

But those two doesnt have great animation tools :(

I doubt it would be too difficult (never having ported anything in my life). The author says that he hasn't compiled it for Linux yet and doesn't know of anyone who has. His main development platform is OSX though, which is a cousin to Linux.

It depends heavily on QT and it depends on libming for .swf export. There's a darn good chance that QT will be ported, and I'll bet libming is trivial to port.

So, yes, I'd say a port is fully within reach for someone who wants to take the time. At first glance, the code looks straightforward enough that a noob like me could probably tackle it, provided QT was already available on the Pandora.

P.S. Pencil does look like a fantastic piece of software for it's targeted audience.

Qt is pretty much ported, but there's no info on wether it will be included on the default firmware.

benjymous said:
Another option, of course, would be Deluxe Paint running on an Amiga Emu

OOoooo yea. I spent many hours in DP. No thanks.

Well I'm glad its possible. I hope someone tackles it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Animation will have to be very limited due to the 128MB of ram. A dedicated vectorial animation tool could work great, but I don't think direct ports will be any good.

xernobyl said:
Animation will have to be very limited due to the 128MB of ram.
What I think would be pretty neat is if there was a tool for just making simple linetests (to be traced over later on your own computer). Save them in GIF format or something and 128MB should be plenty of space.

This would be useful because it would allow you to try out new things quickly, just to see how something works. It would need to have a simple & convenient interface.

I guess something like the Tapptoons Linetester (except that's only for Windows).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back