Old, reliable, and weird stuff.

rygD

Nihilistic Mystic
Since a couple of us discuss some of the little things we like from time to time I figured I should just make a thread.  It will also help me keep track of these things when I want more info later.

In response to stuff from over here.

The story behind the drafting ruler is I liberated it from my highschool art class where they were using antique drafting supplies from the old drafting room we were in and idiots kept on getting confused by the measurements and snapping rulers in half for fun..  So I must have "accidentally" knocked it into my doctor's bag without realizing it. 

Opps, I can be awfully clumsy at times.

Story behind the pencil is I acquired it from a garage/estate sale where an older person died and the family was selling everything that wasn't bolted down. I got a bag of antique pens and pencils and a few cups of pencils sitting on a desk. The total price was 5 dollars for a massive greedy fist size of old antique pencilss

This pencil was NEVER used. it still had its original price tag sticker on it.. theres still a remnant of it on it. The price was 1.50$ So approximately 26$  if translated to todays money.. However I've never seen one like it. I've only seen the green bakelite/celluloid ones and those sell for 50 bucks a pop. This pencil also came with a transparent yellow cheapie one that had a massive crack in it. I took all of the lead from that one.. and put it in this one. I know I still have that cheapie one. I've seen those sell for 8$ on ebay. 

I used this pencil in school for a few years straight. I had it in my shirt pocket at all times. I made sure to keep track of it religiously. It was the best pencil I've ever owned. Actually any pencil pre 1960 is worth it. If you ever have a chance to pick up an older pencil and use one.. Try it out. the identification i've found of a good old pencil is if the exposed "Lead" has a slight white coating that appears when they're exposed to air for a long time. Antique pencils sharpen to a amazing point. They never sharpen off centre and the lead stays sharper for about 5x longer. They're a bit harder but they're tough. They're great for drawing. I used this pencil for drawing all of the time. To give you an idea it takes about 3 rotational cranks of a old style pencil sharper to even get close to sharpening a modern pencil, and even then theres a high risk of it being off center or getting screwed up. The antique pencils.. Half a crank and its sharp enough if you tap it it'll draw blood...I'm not kidding. The old 3H lead is astounding quality. the old 2 2/3 HB from velvet is amazing. Some of the  smoothest lines. The old generic stuff runs circles around the name brand crap of today.

But my eversharp mechanical pencil. It lasted forever. There was about 3 lead sticks in it..and I got 2 more from the yellow pencil. Those lasted me 2 years of school... I mean writing daily.. and the lead wouldn't break. I feel this is due to the design of the square lead. The tip doesn't allow the lead to spin at all which means you get a firm hold of it, and because its a twist type mechanism you can completely control how much is stuck out at any given time.. which means you can even retract the lead back into the pencil for storage. The pencil is balanced, I can balance it on my pinky if I wanted too, the centre of gravity is approximately the centre of the pencil. It has a strong feel in the hand, its not a brittle thing. Small details of it speak numbers. The knurling on the tip allows for strong grip but without feeling like you can get cut. Theres knurling on the eraser holder, and Eversharp Eraser No.5 is etched onto it. No doubt I can look up that information and find what size of modern eraser I could use to replace the old original one in it. The black cap comes off with ease but won't fall off, the eraser is held in firmly yet also comes out with ease. Theres a metal "grate" on the inside that keeps helps you place in lead. (its  has three slots you slide the lead in and keeps the lead on the outside edge.

And the old celluloid/bakelite has a 3D depth to it. This is the best damn pencil I've ever held. Everything else I have placed my hands on (Including 300 dollar new mechanical pencils at stationary stores) seems like shit. This pencil's lead size is more natural then .5 or .7mm the 1.18mm lead which was standard in those days is quite lovely to work with. Its the happy medium you get for about a sentence when dealing with regular pencils... Hence why I think they're called eversharps. These pencils were used for drafting and drawing in the old days and I can see why. I actually got these leads to draw with.

Shelling out 36 dollars to have a years supply of lead for this pencil is worth it. Without a doubt. If I see more NOS lead and I have the spare money around I will purchase it.

I wasn't expecting me to go on for so long about a pencil manufactured around 1935.... hmm my typerwriter is from 1936.. I'm starting to notice a trend here. Both from the thirties and both I got for about the total price of 50 cents.

The story about the ruler, or rather the breaking of other ones, sounds familiar enough.  Stupid people do stupid things, and it is sometimes worth the risk to preserve something from being destroyed for "fun" (or "art"...like the typewriter key cutting bastards).

I found the space pen I currently use (CH4) in a big gravel covered parking lot type area about 6 or 7 years ago.  It had obviously been run over a few times, but since it worked I used it.  I had broken and lost a few other lesser space pens, so I figured I would use this one until the same happened to it.  The chrome is wearing off, but it is otherwise doing great.  I have been thinking of getting a B4 (or G4 even though I usually don't like gold colored things) for use when my other pens are a bit too rough looking.  I am a bit picky, but not as bad as some out there, and a typical ballpoint or fountain pen just won't work for me based on when and where I am writing.  A pencil probably would...My modified F-701 is fairly balanced, however the CH4 seems to be back heavy.  Doesn't matter much to me since I don't do tricks with them.  I like the feel of both.  The knurling/grippy areas on both are pretty rough on the skin on the back of my ring finger when I hold them a certain way and write for a while.
Perhaps if I had a decent pencil I would use one, I just haven't found one I liked.  I usually just use them when I must, and use ink for everything else (mostly sharpies and space pens).

Although the look of your pencil is nice it might be a bit too flashy for me.  I would need to see it in person.  Also, I don't trust plastic, especially older plastics, and I would feel terrible if I destroyed something old and nice.  (If you needed to stab somebody to death could this pencil handle it?  Yes, this is how I pick out writing tools now, since most cheap ones will bend or break with a little abuse, and I keep them in my front pants pockets.)  I think I used a pencil like that one, but from a few decades later, when I visited my grandmother.  If good quality lead is available at reasonable prices I might look into this more.

I thought you weren't really into stuff of this sort from as late as the 30s other than for the higher quality than what we get now.  Do you feel like sharing info about the typewriter you mentioned, or is it one we talked about before?  After looking up info about the props used in Naked Lunch I started looking for another one for myself (can't afford it, don't need it), and decided I want 2 more.  I had to stop before I looked around too much and got sucked into buying one.

Last edited by a moderator:
My typewriter is a 1936  L.C smith super speed. Its so dark in here its not worth taking pictures right now.. Actually I do have one that might show off everything and  explain quite a bit.

283557_457397190977734_640135935_n.jpg

from left to right is My tophat (Found at good will and I repaired it using a paint can and a masonite board. Its a stage prop but its still high quality)
1914 Victrola a rare model  because it was so cheap so nobody bothered repairing it when it broke. I haven't seen on as old as this one.
My intuous 2 special edition walcom pen My wolf head cane topper before I put it on my cane, my custom lamp I used for awhile,  1930's pencil sharpener, Bel-Ami 1916 copyright date for printing and in the US. Used the spelling of To-morrow, and such lovely antiquated spellings. a 50 cent AUD coin, my ruler I liberated... Clock that was given to me as a gift.. NEVERMORE, books.. and my 1936 L.C smith typewriter.. and all on a very old antique large desk. 

The typewriter story is it was one of the many bought by the US government before ww2 in bulk. used in the war and up to the korean war  in the air force. It was given to a soldier who after the war stuck it in the attic with its dust cover over it (I regret losing that).. well fast forward to 2012ish  I find it in the old ladies attic and she tells me I can have it if i want it.. so I walk down 5 blocks in the middle of winter carrying this typewriter since my parents refused to drive me up to pick it up. 

I've used this typewriter many times.. I've actually typed up homework assignments on it which really surprised my psychology teacher. he called me over after class and was like "You know how to actually use a typewriter? Most people don't even know what one is. that's awesome."

I got great scores on the tests due to the simple fact there needs to be a bit of assured precision with a typewriter. I also used to type on handed out homework sheets. Yes  I'm a person whose handwriting looks like a doctor suffered from a stroke and a heart attack at the same time while writing it. I love my typewriter and I would use it more. its just modern day paper doesn't like typewriters (its much weaker) and the noise it makes would most definitely wake up everybody in the house.

I have an extensive collection of 78rpm record as well as regular vinyl and I collect pre 1940 books.  most of the things my room are older the me, and a lot of these things are used quite a bit. I prefer to use older things because of the quality in them. I seek out these items and so does my fiance. I have a feeling when we get a house its gonna end up looking like you stepped into a time capsule.

I own numerous antiques and if anybody's curious to know what I have I will gladly make a list.

You should be able to get a dust cover for it.  As for the sound, supposedly pads help a bit.  Mine is a Royal Quiet Deluxe, and is far from quiet, not that I care.  Here is a link to a pad:
http://mytypewriter.com/newclassictypewriterpad.aspx
When I looked at that page they had links on the bottom to a clear dust cover to help show off the machine, and a case for portables.  If someone had a common model it would probably be better, and cheaper, to buy another with the correct case somewhere else. I would still consider their case if I didn't want another typewriter.

I got some cotton paper to use with my typewriter.  Haven't used it yet since I don't have too many issues with the other paper we have.  I know of some that is problematic (mostly the recycled stuff I think).  There is some I have encountered a few times that seems to crack, if that makes any sense.

I may have asked this before and forgotten, but how is the platen on it?  If it is too hard that might be the cause of some paper related problems.  I need to track down some metal spools for the ribbon.  Right now all I have are plastic.

I might get a gramophone if it was cheap enough.  I still look at them as things that take up a lot of space, and would require modification and probably maintenance to get minimal use.  The records (even 33s, which aren't really a good choice with a gramaphone since they are designed to use more recent technology for playback) are too fragile for me, and most of what I listen to isn't available (I have a hard time finding some things on CD as some wasn't/isn't really that popular, and the stuff that is people want to hold on to).  It would probably end up being something that I never use, and there is a high chance of it getting damaged.  Just not a good option for me.  

I am curious about a few things.  Do you use the gramophone for playing vinyl?  If so I am very curious how you handle certain things, such as speed and weight of the arm, needle, movement within the grooves, etc.  From what I understand old gramophones will destroy vinyl pretty quickly, and supposedly the sound output wouldn't be that great.  Gakken made one a few years ago that played 78s, 45s, and 33s, but I never looked into it.

I have wanted enclosed bookcases for years but don't have the money.  I just try to keep them away from walls that get sun, but that doesn't help with things like dust.  I am desperately in need of something affordable and durable since one of the cheesy particle board ones I have already lost some shelves, and one of the other bookcases isn't looking too good.  I would be fine with cinder blocks and wood, but I guess that isn't nice enough looking for my other half.  Where do your books live when not in use?  I should check with the person that offered me a bunch of books (not sure of age) and see if I can find some of them new homes.

Your desk is much different than I imagined based on past discussions.  That is pretty much what I want, or something around mid-20th century that is a little less pleasant looking, and a lot more metal, like a tanker desk.  Instead we have a tiny (Ikea, I think) thing that feels a bit cramped.  I usually use some heavy duty shelves right now, and may end up building a standing desk.

I don't use my gramophones for vinyl. The heavy diamond needles would destroy vinyl in seconds. The 78 rpms what i love to use with the 1914. My family has the honour of owning the  Newby & Evans prototype gramophone made  in 1893? I think.. I'm gonna have to check it for dates again. But this thing has a rose wood horn, electric light, and volume control. its made so well the records you play on it.. don't crack at all.It was made so well nobody could afford it. 

I appreciate things due to the historical importance they have, or rather their time on this world. Somebody awhile ago told me the japanese have a word that the english language doesn't have. It roughly translate into  "An object wearing its age with pride" Or "Worn with pride" As in the patina of the object and how it was used is a pride of it. I'm going to be 100% honest I'm not one who likes seeing shiny restored things ESPECIALLY if what they started off as was just wore its age. I'm the type of person who appreciates the marks and damages time can leave on an object.  So yes I'm a steampunk but I don't like that shiny "everything is old yet new" type of steampunk... I like objects to have wear, purpose and a sense of being. My usb typerwriter I made it to do that. I really need to fix that up and get my hands on something to make a computer from it.

For the questions regarding vinyl I have three record players I used for that. A 1958 vacuum tube "Portable" magnvox record player.. (Its having issues with the speed select now :( ) a 1970's panasonic radio/record player where only the right channel works.. and a custom early 60's one used for actual sound systems for like balls, musical halls and such, made by a company in hollywood has the wiring diagram IN the casing, and even has a port for AUX in for microphones and guitars and such.. That one plays records beautifully very crisp and clear. My fiance has that one and uses it constantly to play opera records on it.

I have two book shelves.. One in my room, one not in my room. One was a very old bookshelf probably made in the 1950's or 60s.. however its legs were extensively rotted because of water damage. I got it for cheap its one of the ones that have the books angled Very lovely piece, especially after I purchased longer legs to put on it. That has my old collection of books.. my have that displayed in the reading room with my books on it. The books in my room are on a simple older shelf and organized Via their age or information. I have a shelf of antique books and VW books.  One my favourite books I own is a 1940's welding book. It shows you how to weld in processes that aren't used anymore. I also have a collection of 1927 books on electrical systems used in homes... and buildings and stuff like that. It also shows how wire lightbulb based signs that move and such. My fiance purchased a cook book from 1894 we actually use quite a bit for its recipes.. I haven't seen a cook book that old. It also explains some old medicines and how to treat stuff.. However most of the recipes in that section require opium. I'm convinced that may be tricky to get today, but information like washing clothes and such the old way are present.
I collect pre 1940 books yet my favourite literature is pre 1920. I love the old antique books for what they are. The type faces the way they feel. .How they were written even. I've noticed my writing style naturally falls into what was common in those old books, especially in the french flavour of literature.  One of the books I have titled blindfolded published 1916 is like an action movie. On page 14 the second character you're introduced to is stabbed and killed in a san franciso before the golden gate bridge and when opium dens and chinese ghettos existed... Its a time capsule with constant action.

Every decade of literature we seem to lose something I've noticed. Or maybe its my tastes just don't match what the modern world has to offer. if you want to make some good bookshelves you could always make it yourself and stain them, using  a mixture of steel wool and vinegar that's been in a sealed container for a few days. This antiques the wood and then you could use a clear shellac or some other form of clear covering to protect the wood. Purchase legs cheaply from a hardware store. You might be able find free wood able to do this with.. You could even get brass nails or screws. There's many things I look at and I think "I could make that" And I hope to one day have the space to be able to dabble in that.

My usb typerwriter I made it to do that. I really need to fix that up and get my hands on something to make a computer from it.

You mean like a single board computer, or one of those HDMI sticks, or a Pandora/Pyra connected to a TV/monitor?  I can think of a bunch of other options.

However most of the recipes in that section require opium. I'm convinced that may be tricky to get today, but information like washing clothes and such the old way are present.

Getting opium, or poppies, isn't difficult, but our governments (and drug companies) don't want us using it unless it is approved by them and they get their cut of the money.

I have some new printings of old books with lots of useful information.  I might be interested in reading the stuff about washing clothes, but what I used to do using a wash tub, modern detergent and water worked for washing by hand worked just fine.

You might enjoy some information related to homesteading, and such.

Every decade of literature we seem to lose something I've noticed. Or maybe its my tastes just don't match what the modern world has to offer. if you want to make some good bookshelves you could always make it yourself and stain them, using  a mixture of steel wool and vinegar that's been in a sealed container for a few days. This antiques the wood and then you could use a clear shellac or some other form of clear covering to protect the wood. Purchase legs cheaply from a hardware store. You might be able find free wood able to do this with.. You could even get brass nails or screws. There's many things I look at and I think "I could make that" And I hope to one day have the space to be able to dabble in that.

There are plenty of wonderful authors out there, old and new.  Maybe you are reading the wrong stuff, or maybe you tell yourself "it is new, it sucks".

I prefer to not artifically degrade wood by chemical means.  I have considered making some myself and throwing some doors on the front. I would rather skip legs and have an extra shelf.  I don't like brass. I doubt what I would want to do would be approved, but I don't have time at present anyway.  I have made furniture a few times in my life, usually when something was needed and there was no quick or easy way to get what was needed, but it was always rather simple.   Just as with other things, I may not be too concerned about looks, but mine is not the most important opinion regarding furniture.  Our furniture has to be somewhat pretty.

Hm i might start collecting old books too. 
I am pretty done with old cameras but that mainly to this sudden price rise. 
I have an old copy of jules verne's journey to the center of the earth, found that in the trash and it sure is a good start. 

I still use an old Cherry Keyboard, does that count? It's way over 20 Years old, has no Windows keys and a DIN plug. :D  

My current Model M I use at work, I have older I just like the color of this specific model:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:IBM_Model_M_1390653.jpg

I have ~30 Model M keyboards, perfectly working. I saved from being scrapped as most people seem to abandon them when there was a shift to issuing people laptops instead of desktops at work. apparently PS/2 to USB adapters are beyond people's grasp.

My tastes in older books more stem from the writing style of those books fit how I write.

However. I am not disregarding modern books. My favourite author is jim butcher. I grew up on the dresden files... and jim butcher has been an inspirational force for me to write. While other kids were reading small chapter books with 14 sized font.. I was reading the dresden files, The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. Enders game. Etc, Etc. I had a beyond college reading level in the 5th grade.

I suffer from the issue I see how a book is constructed..  I see the author behind the curtain and how they wrote it. So it ruined my reading tastes. However I would appreciate reconmedations for stories.

Ive included a crappy picture of my trusty time piece.  a mechincal soviet Raketa watch. I also have mechnical calender pieces at the top and bottom of it. Theyre surprisenly handy for when you need to fill out paperwork.

1444406321997-511652537.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I still use an old Cherry Keyboard, does that count? It's way over 20 Years old, has no Windows keys and a DIN plug. :D  
Mechanical keyboards are usually extremely reliable, so they belong here.  Much like typewriters (and telephones, consoles, computers, etc), this is a dangerous topic for me since there are a few rather pricey older ones that I want.  I didn't used to care about a Super key, then I started using it more often.  I have only been using it on Windows boxes lately, so I could probably live without it.

My current Model M I use at work, I have older I just like the color of this specific model:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:IBM_Model_M_1390653.jpg

I have ~30 Model M keyboards, perfectly working. I saved from being scrapped as most people seem to abandon them when there was a shift to issuing people laptops instead of desktops at work. apparently PS/2 to USB adapters are beyond people's grasp.
I am quite fond of IBM (and related) keyboards.  My guess is people are too lazy to bother with a keyboard.  I currently have my keyboard and trackball, along with some other things, connected to a dock.  Before that I still connected them to laptops I used, and sometimes dragged mine with me for some of my classes where there was heavy typing.  The sound bothered some people.  :D   I also got stopped by security after having carried mine for months because they thought I was stealing keyboards.  The guard even said "I see you leaving with a keyboard everyday"...  He took down my info and I informed the people in charge of my degree plan and the dean (or whatever they are called) of the IT related degrees that security may speak to them about me.  I frequently spoke with them, and tried to take classes with them if I could, so they knew I lugged around my black Unicomp with me.  Eventually one of the people in a few of my classes started carrying his keyboard (Cherry switches I think) to class.

Hm i might start collecting old books too. 
I am pretty done with old cameras but that mainly to this sudden price rise. 
I have an old copy of jules verne's journey to the center of the earth, found that in the trash and it sure is a good start. 

How old is your copy of Journey To the Center of the Earth?  I wish people wouldn't throw away old books.  Recycling is somewhat better, but what I don't like is that "outdated" or "obsolete" information is being lost.  That isn't a problem with books that are still being printed or are available for free online, however printing new copies while old ones are being tossed seems wasteful.

I am not into high end phtography equipment.  I have loved Polaroid cameras and film since I first encountered them as a child.  I don't understand why the cost of the cameras has gone up since Polaroid stopped making the film and the Impossible people started making it at a higher price.  I have a camera from the 80s, but no good/modern film.  I used 35mm film, but I prefer black and white, and always just used a cheap camera.  For most other stuff I do use a digital camera (Game Boy Camera :p ...I still don't have a way to get the pictures directly from the cartridge to a computer).  Occasioanally I will use others, but I usually leave that to others.  

I would like to hear about your camera interest and see pics if you share them.  Once you have decent stuff, don't you just need film and stuff (or a service) for development if using a film camera?  I figured rising prices for typical cameras wouldn't be much of a problem if you don't need to buy those things.  Are you more of a collector?

My tastes in older books more stem from the writing style of those books fit how I write.

However. I am not disregarding modern books. My favourite author is jim butcher. I grew up on the dresden files... and jim butcher has been an inspirational force for me to write. While other kids were reading small chapter books with 14 sized font.. I was reading the dresden files, The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. Enders game. Etc, Etc. I had a beyond college reading level in the 5th grade.

I suffer from the issue I see how a book is constructed..  I see the author behind the curtain and how they wrote it. So it ruined my reading tastes. However I would appreciate reconmedations for stories.

Ive included a crappy picture of my trusty time piece.  a mechincal soviet Raketa watch. I also have mechnical calender pieces at the top and bottom of it. Theyre surprisenly handy for when you need to fill out paperwork.

View attachment 12336

I read too much Lovecraft (odd word choices and spellings even for an American author at the time) and Neal Stephenson (long ass books and some interesting choices related to language).  I read somewhere that some people feel modern professional novelists, with Stephenson as an example, focus too much on quantity instead of quality.  This was from a typewriter user that was saying computers/word processors have changed how people approach writing since they no longer need to retype each draft.  I disagree as that relates to Stephenson (didn't he hand write the Baroque Cycle initially?).

I don't use wrist watches since I can't tolerate having things around my wrists.  I tried for far too long, and usually pulled them off and threw them in a pocket.  I didn't like doing this with some of the more expensive ones, so I went back to using pocket watches (I had a cheap one as a kid).  My favorite that I own is an Elgin from 1927 or so.  They are completely pointless if I have another device with me that tracks and displays time, but I love looking at and listening to them.

I also have an old Phinney-Walker travel alarm clock that I use when I absolutely must be up by a certain time and don't trust that other alarms will go off or wake me, and there isn't someone else to get me up.  It isn't all that fancy, and it probably isn't all that old, but I like the sound of it running, the alarm, the radium markings, and that I can fold it up when not using it to save space (when actually traveling).  I would like one that is all metal, but this one has worked for me for many years.  

Quote said:
How old is your copy of Journey To the Center of the Earth?  I wish people wouldn't throw away old books.  Recycling is somewhat better, but what I don't like is that "outdated" or "obsolete" information is being lost.  That isn't a problem with books that are still being printed or are available for free online, however printing new copies while old ones are being tossed seems wasteful.

I am not into high end phtography equipment.  I have loved Polaroid cameras and film since I first encountered them as a child.  I don't understand why the cost of the cameras has gone up since Polaroid stopped making the film and the Impossible people started making it at a higher price.  I have a camera from the 80s, but no good/modern film.  I used 35mm film, but I prefer black and white, and always just used a cheap camera.  For most other stuff I do use a digital camera (Game Boy Camera ...I still don't have a way to get the pictures directly from the cartridge to a computer).  Occasioanally I will use others, but I usually leave that to others.  

I would like to hear about your camera interest and see pics if you share them.  Once you have decent stuff, don't you just need film and stuff (or a service) for development if using a film camera?  I figured rising prices for typical cameras wouldn't be much of a problem if you don't need to buy those things.  Are you more of a collector?
It says printed in 1950, not that old, but then again thats 65 years. 

Why the cost is raising? Hipsters...
There is a bunch of ebay sellers that that buy and sell photographic stuff between their own accounts to give the impression of a specific price.  The trick is to offer the same item 10 times, 9 times with an artificial high price and the 10th offer is used for actual bidding. And some hipsters that are new in this pay according to the high made up price. 
For a real photographer a polaroid is as useful as a brick, I actually bought one on the flea marked for 1€ for the lulz.

Regarding 35mm film the situation has become weird. 
Film was never dead but over the past years i saw more and more people using it, heck you can even buy and develop film in supermarkets here.
It has gotten more expensive over the last year because the demand is higher than the supply. 
Our local shop here literally imports old stock from brazil because japan (fuji) does not deliver.
But well expensive is relative, 3-5€ is what you would spend here from buying film to getting the printouts, something you can life with.

Ohwell i have to go... lets see if i can tell you about my collection an other time. 

For a real photographer a polaroid is as useful as a brick, I actually bought one on the flea marked for 1€ for the lulz.

Perhaps it depends on the photographer and what they are doing...I will just leave that alone.  I got my current as a gift from someone that got it for free.  It sits on a shelf going unused until I have money to waste since I am not paying to feed it right now.  I think I have one I bought in the 90s sitting in a box somewhere.  Check out asking prices online some time...they make no sense to me.  Perhaps the price had to go up so people wouldn't feel like they were getting ripped off when buying the film.

Regarding 35mm film the situation has become weird. 

Film was never dead but over the past years i saw more and more people using it, heck you can even buy and develop film in supermarkets here.

It has gotten more expensive over the last year because the demand is higher than the supply. 

Our local shop here literally imports old stock from brazil because japan (fuji) does not deliver.

But well expensive is relative, 3-5€ is what you would spend here from buying film to getting the printouts, something you can life with.

Ohwell i have to go... lets see if i can tell you about my collection an other time. 

I can't remember the last time I saw someone using anything other than a digital camera here, usually in a smartphone or other device, but some dedicated ones.  When I was in a drug store the other day looking at film (I happened to notice they had developed pictures behind the counter) I was just seeing what they had available.  Even when I was taking a lot of pictures in the 90s I usually went to a specialty store for my film and developing.  I think many of the local places here where you can drop off film to get it developed send it to someone else, but I never asked.  I just know that some places used to have better results than others.

While I was looking at some typewriters last night I came across a name that I know from other things I like.  This is a pretty interesting list.

I know theres camera film scanners? I remember them awhile back. Not sure how well they worked though. 

Ahh the quite DeLuxe. Yes the royal typerwriter its pretty common. I think it was very popular.

Though I have to say one thing

NYC_Hudson2.jpg

That's a badass looking train.

I've recently joined National Novel Writing Month and they have an entire section of people who clank out 50,000 words on typewriters in the month of November. I'd be doing it with my L.C smith superspeed  but its a brute of a  machine that can be heard from downstairs if I use it. So my family wouldn't be impressed with me using it at midnight or later. Gonna use the Openpandora for it though. :D

I would love to get my hands on a "noiseless" portable typewriter or a desktop model. They are quite interesting machines. they also look interesting. The lead I bought doesn't work for my pencil. <_<  So its just sitting in my desk looking cool. It's okay eventually I will find a pencil it will fit in.  Granted I wonder what lead does that damn pencil use.

The Dreyfuss version of the Quiet DeLuxe is what was switched to after the version I have.  It is nice, and I wouldn't mind having one if I didn't already own the earlier one.  I wouldn't gain much by going with his design since no new features are included.  It is essentially the same with a slightly boxier look and different keys.  I forgot what the official name of the glass tombstone shaped keys, but since I want those they are the only reason I would get another of these (but they are really great machines). 

I was trying to find a 1937 Remington portable that I liked to honor Lovecraft (he died in 37), one of my favorite authors, since he owned, and I think really loved, one of their desktop typewriters he purchased in 1906 (afaik he only owned that one and had it rebuilt multiple times).  I didn't find much I really liked from their portable line.  I looked into some others and found some of the things that were done to make some quiet, and I imagine I would be murdered if I didn't have one designed to be less noisy.  I can see a few things that might be done to make one a little quiter, such as by adding padding like mine has.  I don't know if some of these things would interfere with normal operation, or even damage one with long term use since they aren't designed to have stuff just shoved inside.  You may be able to get a good deal on something quiet if you are willing to go with plastic keys and something more modern.  Honestly, I love the round glass keys, but they make it harder for me to type sometimes.

I still like the look of some of the colorful and really boxy portables from Royal in the 20s and 30s.  I would really like to mix it up if I buy a couple more eventually and go with different brands/manufacturers, but I am quite fond of the Royals.  The things I want are that later key shape, something that is a "bright" color to me, and an interesting or different font.  I did manage to find some comparisons of typefaces used on various models, as well as their sizes.  I should probably go for something larger in case I start having more vision problems as I get older.

That engine, his telephones (as mentioned in a PM), the SX-70, and even his alarm clock and vacuum cleaners, are all things I like that were designed by Dreyfuss.

However most of the recipes in that section require opium. I'm convinced that may be tricky to get today, but information like washing clothes and such the old way are present.

Getting opium, or poppies, isn't difficult, but our governments (and drug companies) don't want us using it unless it is approved by them and they get their cut of the money.

Dried poppy heads are £17.99 a kilo from a flower arranger here. As soon as you make any attempt to extract opium from them however you'd be breaking the law. Growing them is legal too, until you cut the pods to harvest the latex.

I have this beast going on as my main sound output since 1993, all fine with a few quirks, I also have another, but not working straight, in case I may need to cannibalize parts in the future.

20151030_184126.jpg

DrHax that desk it classic looking, is the little crow an old vintage toy too?

I don't think I've anything really old, my Atari 2600 and a Clipper lighter I think from the 60s which has the old adjustable flame dial on it

Back