Oh, How The Mighty Have Fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point1: Language is often inefficient at conveying the idea we wish to get accross. Sometimes even when there is away of saying what we want to say, our brains just doesn't group the right words together. I.E.
What you quoted was not saying "It's a waste of time making a PS3 game." I was trying to say it would be better if GFX wasn't pushed so much and there was more balance. From what it looks like it seems you are being a bit too defensive about my comment which was about increasing cost of preparing GFX and models and not directed specifically at the PS3. I won't go as far as calling you a fanboy, but it does seem I couldn't say my comment without stepping on your toes.

Point2: When you specifically call me a fanboy... that looks like a personal attack/taunt to me... Just so happens I'm short-tempered enough to take the bait today (and I aplogise for that and that only.)

Point3: a PM is exactly that a private message. I find it very low to quote/paraphrase a PM in a public forum Not only that but you are referring to a message I sent at least a few weeks ago whereby I was just clearing up something you misunderstood about something I posted just to clarify things and disolve any hints that I might be displaying any hostility towards you (I'm not) The PM was lighthearted and joking. At least that's what I remember sending in a PM.

Point4: Debating a point is fine, that's what a forum is for of course. Everyone is entitled to opinions. I don't believe you express yourself in the friendliest manner. Of course that's just my opinion. I won't be leaving these forums as there are many people that I get along with just fine. I also won't be ignoring your posts... not because I like these confrontations, but because I don't believe in ignoring people... you never know you might have something to say I want to read in the future.

pokeparadox there are still shite lookin games coming out that play shite so what happend there? Not enough money on graphics and playabilty ?

It was never a confrontation. You turned it into that.

I also never called you a fanboy. I stated that your comment was very fanboyISH. And I stand by that.

Another point: I could have thought up hundreds of ways you could have stated what you did without me feeling the need to reply. You poorly phrased your comment.

In regards to me quoting your PM: Sorry if you find it low to post it. It merely strengthens my argument that you take things personally. Sorry if you were offended (lol)

Whether or not you admit to it, you were indeed hinting at the PS3. What you said was NOT a generalized statement. As I said, I merely pointed out that you were incorrect and that you were saying PS3 games were unplayable.

If you wish to avoid "confrontations" as you put them, try to phrase things better in the future.

PokeParadox posted on Dec 1 2006 at 12:37 AM said:
Point2: When you specifically call me a fanboy... that looks like a personal attack/taunt to me... Just so happens I'm short-tempered enough to take the bait today (and I aplogise for that and that only.)

i didnt think what you said was fanboy'ish and i happen to agree that its a waste of money for games that in some cases wont be played again after they are completed and seem to be released full of bugs, for instance nba live 07 gameplay bugs and cod3 / project gotham2 both having problems with HD resolutions..
Regardless of system i dont like the 360/wii or ps3 myself, and i wont be buying one (modern games just dont do it for me..).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Oblivion has been postponed until 2/1/07 ... so I can (and WILL) wait for a PS3.

:p

hopefully sony will have to drop the price by then and they will get less money for their console, there are so many unimpressive games comming out (for all systems including pc) i cant justify 'wasting' that amount of cash on a machine i wouldnt even enjoy..

the next game that i fancy playing is 'medal of honour : airbourne' if my pc cant run it i wont be able to play it.. thats just how it is, i cba keeping up with the mainstream gaming crap, dont know if anyone feels the same way this is one of the reasons i bought a gp2x.

Probobly the only 2 nex-gen systems i'll be buying will be a PsP or a DS. The former for its emulation possibilities, and the latter because its got the few decent hand-held games coming out anytime soon.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 1 2006 at 12:02 AM said:
You're saying that making a PS3 game is a waste of money and resources, and it would be better to make a playable game. I'm sorry, you aren't insinuating anything. You're making a clear statement. A very ignorant and fanboyish one might I add.

Quit putting words in my mouth. :eek:

It is my opinion, ragardless of platform, if a games company is having to spend most of its time and resources building up assets(to make up that HD game), this doesn't make so much difference to the game. It just makes it look nicer. The Game might well be playable as it stands (this hypothetical game) but if There wasn't this constant drive to add "one more vertex" to our 3D models and make textures another 512 px wider... that budget could actually be used more fruitfully. It should be a balance of assets and code. It seems things are getting lopsided and THIS is the point I'm trying to make.

And with that I ask you to stop trying to pick a fight with me because it's getting rather tiring. I have my own opinions and yes I like the Direction that Nintendo is going. I'd like gaming to become more sociable (I was the only serious gamer in my year when I was in school... it's not nice feeling like such an outcast ;)) and I don't want a new media format forced upon me. The only reason I would buy a PS3 is the fact that SquareEnix are in bed with Sony... and I like Final Fantasy games... that is not a good enough reason so I simply won't buy a PS3.

Don't patronise and dismiss as a simple fanboy, yes my opinions are more aligned to Nintendo's console but that's not to say I think they are doing everything correctly and that the sun shines out of their collective arse as a company. I try to look at things objectively from as many angles as my brain will allow, separate fact from fiction, hype from reality etc. Now please get off my case.
First of all, this is a forum. If you don't like the fact that people are challenging what you believe to be correct, then I suggest you leave. Or ignore me, one or the other. You seem to take things personally, and they are anything BUT personal attacks. You PM me saying things like "we have different opinions once again!". REALLY? I HAVE NOT NOTICED.

No one is putting words in your mouth. Re-read your statement:

The point I think is important is the actual price to develop these games. Not the time it takes for a company to reclaim a profit. It's clear that it's a waste of funds and resources that could be better spent making games playable as opposed to pretty.
It's clear? I don't think so. It's not a waste at all. People like myself and DaveC like graphics. I don't know about him, but I'm buying the Playstation 3 because it's going to look beautiful on my new TV. I'm not alone. People are buying the system because it's absolutely revolutionary, although I'm sure you'd disagree because it doesn't have a gimmicky controller to make up for mediocre-at-best graphics. ;)
exactly how is the PS3 revolutionary?

Gameplay seems pretty similar to what we've seen before.
The graphics are 360/high end PC standard.
The control scheme is ten years old.
Internet done better elsewhere.
Blu-ray is just a shit movie format that no-one wants.

Its just a new console with slightly better graphics. ie- the same improvement we have had every 5 years for two decades now.

The DS was a revolution over the GBA.
The Wii is a revolution over the GC.
The PS3 as a revolution over the PS2? ha! as if.

And yes, I too favour Nintendo at the moment because they are the company making games for people who like to have fun. Not for people who want to show off about how good it looks on their 5000" HDTV they got by ripping people off on ebay.

Not for people who want to show off about how good it looks on their 5000" HDTV they got by ripping people off on ebay.
haha what a fricking retard. Don't hate because you werent fucking intelligent enough to think of it yourself. And dont feed me some shit about you being better than that. Ebay is all about making money. If you had the opportunity to do it, you know you would ;)

I'd sig this, but im not ready to replace my old one yet. I'll let you know how sweet my new ps3 will look on my brand new 40" 1080p samsung lcd :lol:

If you dont think a step up in graphics is revolutionary too bad for you. Stick with your gay wiimote, which btw, is already a bore.

All games are similar to a degree; there's not much ingenuity as a whole. But I shouldn't argue with someone who has so much experience with the PS3, being that you obviously own one, or you wouldn't be making judgments on its gameplay.
And this is bad... what? How? Last time I looked, the PS3 is competing against... the.... Xbox360. And the Wii of course, but graphically there's no comparison.
Really? Sixaxis is ten years old? I could've sworn it was... brand new. Wii has a d-pad on its controller; the d-pad has been around for decades. That's a valid point too, right?
Internet's been browsable on the PS2 and Dreamcast for years and years. Internet connectivity isn't about visiting forums, it's about new and updated content as well as online multiplayer, among other things. But I'm sure you think browsing the internet on the Wii is the bee's knees.
First of all, wow, you retard. Second, that's what everyone said about DVD nearly a decade ago. The fact is that the amount of storage needed grows exponentially over a linear amount of time, and that 25/50gb WILL be fully utilised eventually, by games. And how can you possibly come to the conclusion that you can speak for everyone on earth? "No-one" wants it? Millions and millions of people will enjoy bluray with their new HDTVs in the next coming decade.
Its just a new console with slightly better graphics. ie- the same improvement we have had every 5 years for two decades now.
Slightly better? Are you on drugs? Have you ever even seen gameplay footage? The PS3 is worlds better graphically than the PS2, just like the 360 is much, much better graphically than the original Xbox. The Wii isn't that much better graphically than the Gamecube, though it is certainly noticeable. But to say that the PS3 only has slightly better graphics is sheer stupidity.
Being that the GBA was outdated the second it was made, a revolution was a long time coming.
How?
If the Wii is, the PS3 definitely is, without any doubt.
And yes, I too favour Nintendo at the moment because they are the company making games for people who like to have fun. Not for people who want to show off about how good it looks on their 5000" HDTV they got by ripping people off on ebay.
You know, I like what Nintendo's doing right now too. I'm really excited and looking forward to getting the Wii. I also love my DS lite to death and considered myself somewhat of a nintendo fanboy. But if being one means I have to be a completely ignorant fool like you, then count me out.

iignotus said:
All games are similar to a degree; there's not much ingenuity as a whole. But I shouldn't argue with someone who has so much experience with the PS3, being that you obviously own one, or you wouldn't be making judgments on its gameplay.
And this is bad... what? How? Last time I looked, the PS3 is competing against... the.... Xbox360. And the Wii of course, but graphically there's no comparison.
Really? Sixaxis is ten years old? I could've sworn it was... brand new. Wii has a d-pad on its controller; the d-pad has been around for decades. That's a valid point too, right?
Internet's been browsable on the PS2 and Dreamcast for years and years. Internet connectivity isn't about visiting forums, it's about new and updated content as well as online multiplayer, among other things. But I'm sure you think browsing the internet on the Wii is the bee's knees.
First of all, wow, you retard. Second, that's what everyone said about DVD nearly a decade ago. The fact is that the amount of storage needed grows exponentially over a linear amount of time, and that 25/50gb WILL be fully utilised eventually, by games. And how can you possibly come to the conclusion that you can speak for everyone on earth? "No-one" wants it? Millions and millions of people will enjoy bluray with their new HDTVs in the next coming decade.
Slightly better? Are you on drugs? Have you ever even seen gameplay footage? The PS3 is worlds better graphically than the PS2, just like the 360 is much, much better graphically than the original Xbox. The Wii isn't that much better graphically than the Gamecube, though it is certainly noticeable. But to say that the PS3 only has slightly better graphics is sheer stupidity.
Being that the GBA was outdated the second it was made, a revolution was a long time coming.
How?
You know, I like what Nintendo's doing right now too. I'm really excited and looking forward to getting the Wii. I also love my DS lite to death and considered myself somewhat of a nintendo fanboy. But if being one means I have to be a completely ignorant fool like you, then count me out.

Agreed. But the pricetag is rather steep. So I'm sticking with a wii.

Well, I don't like to argue about what the potential of consoles is, simply because that is entirely dependent on the games released for it. However, I have played all three next-gen systems extensively and have found this to be the case:

1. PS3
graphics - They are great. They look about as good as the current xbox360 stuff, maybe a little better, and that has had a year longer to be worked on.

games - The only game out for it right now that I really wanted to play was Resistance. The game is pretty good, and plays somewhat like Call of Duty with aliens. However, it definitely isn't worth buying the PS3 for.

2. Xbox 360
graphics - Like the PS3, they are great. However, they have had a year to work on them so they should be more developed than the other systems.

games - There are a lot of great shooters and not much else. If you're into shooters, you would probably love it; otherwise you might want to wait.

3. Wii
graphics - They look barely better than the original xbox, which is disappointing. I really think nintendo will do well with the Wii, but it's a shame they skimped on the graphics when we could have played Zelda in HD.

games - The game that makes the Wii worth buying is Zelda. If you're not crazy about Zelda, hold off on the Wii until it gets some other great games.

Overall, If all of the systems were the same price, I would probably get the xbox 360 because it simply has the best selection of games at this time. However, the only one of these systems that I currently own is the Wii due to its low price and my addiction to zelda.

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 1 2006 at 12:30 PM said:
Well, I don't like to argue about what the potential of consoles is, simply because that is entirely dependent on the games released for it. However, I have played all three next-gen systems extensively and have found this to be the case:

1. PS3
graphics - They are great. They look about as good as the current xbox360 stuff, maybe a little better, and that has had a year longer to be worked on.

games - The only game out for it right now that I really wanted to play was Resistance. The game is pretty good, and plays somewhat like Call of Duty with aliens. However, it definitely isn't worth buying the PS3 for.

2. Xbox 360
graphics - Like the PS3, they are great. However, they have had a year to work on them so they should be more developed than the other systems.

games - There are a lot of great shooters and not much else. If you're into shooters, you would probably love it; otherwise you might want to wait.

3. Wii
graphics - They look barely better than the original xbox, which is disappointing. I really think nintendo will do well with the Wii, but it's a shame they skimped on the graphics when we could have played Zelda in HD.

games - The game that makes the Wii worth buying is Zelda. If you're not crazy about Zelda, hold off on the Wii until it gets some other great games.

Overall, If all of the systems were the same price, I would probably get the xbox 360 because it simply has the best selection of games at this time. However, the only one of these systems that I currently own is the Wii due to its low price and my addiction to zelda.

tru dat.
Apart from the opinion at the bottom obviously. Shooters suck.

Yeah, but Wii Sports quite clearly isn't similar.

How does this make the PS3 revolutionary though? Thats all I was saying if you can read.

Again, how does this make the PS3 revolutionary? I was, by the way, comparing Live as an online multiplayer system, but obviously I'm a Nintendo fanboy so am not allowed an opinion on MS.

First of all, wow, you retard. Second, that's what everyone said about DVD nearly a decade ago. The fact is that the amount of storage needed grows exponentially over a linear amount of time, and that 25/50gb WILL be fully utilised eventually, by games. And how can you possibly come to the conclusion that you can speak for
everyone on earth? "No-one" wants it? Millions and millions of people will enjoy bluray with their new HDTVs in the next coming decade.
First of all, way to be pedantic. Lets go round the internet picking up on everything everyone says and pretend to be clever. I am sure loads of people watch UMDs too.
Secondly, I didnt say that about the DVD a decade ago.
Thirdly, the DVD was much more entrenched as a consumer format when the PS2 was launched than the bluray will ever be.
Thirdly, current generation games dont NEED that much space. Give developers space and they will use it, doesnt mean they need it or that the game would be impossible to make without it.

Well, it obviously depends on what you mean by slightly. I've seen 360 games plenty of times, and yes, they look nice, but it's not amazing, or revolutionary. Maybe slightly was pushing it, but everything is relative.

The DS changed the way I play handheld games. The dual screens, mic and touchscreen are all revolutionary.

The PSP is just a GBA with better graphics, more buttons, and a shit movie format that NOBODY wants. ie- it's not revolutionary. Just the established principles of the console arena applied yet again.

Because it changes the very way we think about gaming. It goes against the established principles of the console world which state that better graphics, a couple more buttons, and a ridiculous price tag are the way forward. It has attempted to create something different, never seen before, and attract whole new audiences to gaming.

No it isnt. The PS3 does not challenge any of the established norms. It is not a break with the past.
It is, therefore, an evolution, not a revolution.

Glad to hear it. I am not ignorant. I just cannot see the attraction of the PS3 as a piece of hardware. The 360 shits all over it for the price if you want a traditional 'next generation' console without entering into Sony's format wars.

The Wii60 is for me.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 1 2006 at 02:58 AM said:
Not for people who want to show off about how good it looks on their 5000" HDTV they got by ripping people off on ebay.
haha what a fricking retard. Don't hate because you werent fucking intelligent enough to think of it yourself. And dont feed me some shit about you being better than that. Ebay is all about making money. If you had the opportunity to do it, you know you would ;)
It's not difficult to be a ticket tout, or to go queue in line on console release night. Its not exactly a high intelligence position. In fact, some of the scummiest losers I have ever met are scalpers.

Its just a shit thing to do. And no, I wouldn't do it.

declaration said:
Yeah, but Wii Sports quite clearly isn't similar.

How does this make the PS3 revolutionary though? Thats all I was saying if you can read.

Again, how does this make the PS3 revolutionary? I was, by the way, comparing Live as an online multiplayer system, but obviously I'm a Nintendo fanboy so am not allowed an opinion on MS.

First of all, wow, you retard. Second, that's what everyone said about DVD nearly a decade ago. The fact is that the amount of storage needed grows exponentially over a linear amount of time, and that 25/50gb WILL be fully utilised eventually, by games. And how can you possibly come to the conclusion that you can speak for
everyone on earth? "No-one" wants it? Millions and millions of people will enjoy bluray with their new HDTVs in the next coming decade.
First of all, way to be pedantic. Lets go round the internet picking up on everything everyone says and pretend to be clever. I am sure loads of people watch UMDs too.
Secondly, I didnt say that about the DVD a decade ago.
Thirdly, the DVD was much more entrenched as a consumer format when the PS2 was launched than the bluray will ever be.
Thirdly, current generation games dont NEED that much space. Give developers space and they will use it, doesnt mean they need it or that the game would be impossible to make without it.

Well, it obviously depends on what you mean by slightly. I've seen 360 games plenty of times, and yes, they look nice, but it's not amazing, or revolutionary. Maybe slightly was pushing it, but everything is relative.

The DS changed the way I play handheld games. The dual screens, mic and touchscreen are all revolutionary.

The PSP is just a GBA with better graphics, more buttons, and a shit movie format that NOBODY wants. ie- it's not revolutionary. Just the established principles of the console arena applied yet again.

Because it changes the very way we think about gaming. It goes against the established principles of the console world which state that better graphics, a couple more buttons, and a ridiculous price tag are the way forward. It has attempted to create something different, never seen before, and attract whole new audiences to gaming.

No it isnt. The PS3 does not challenge any of the established norms. It is not a break with the past.
It is, therefore, an evolution, not a revolution.

Glad to hear it. I am not ignorant. I just cannot see the attraction of the PS3 as a piece of hardware. The 360 shits all over it for the price if you want a traditional 'next generation' console without entering into Sony's format wars.

The Wii60 is for me.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 1 2006 at 02:58 AM said:
It's not difficult to be a ticket tout, or to go queue in line on console release night. Its not exactly a high intelligence position. In fact, some of the scummiest losers I have ever met are scalpers.

Its just a shit thing to do. And no, I wouldn't do it.
Glad to hear that. You're such a great individual!

Every decent economy thrives on people who are "scum" like me. Laws of supply and demand contribute to just how well and economy does. I'm merely supplying a product that Nintendo isnt supplying enough of to meet general demand. As a proud ebay seller, I DO NOT rip people off and take their money, they bid on MY item. They are the fucking idiots.

I have to leave now, but there are other things I want to comment on.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 1 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
Glad to hear that. You're such a great individual!

Every decent economy thrives on people who are "scum" like me. Laws of supply and demand contribute to just how well and economy does. I'm merely supplying a product that Nintendo isnt supplying enough of to meet general demand. As a proud ebay seller, I DO NOT rip people off and take their money, they bid on MY item. They are the fucking idiots.

I have to leave now, but there are other things I want to comment on.
Console launches don't work on strict supply + demand principles. If they did, the shops themselves would be selling at demand prices. Nintendo would be selling at demand prices. As it is, Nintendo has made a conscious decision to make a console "affordable". You are fucking that up for your own gain. Congratulations.

Its the same with ticket sales. Bands often sell tickets at below demand prices. An artists decision to do so should be respected. But it isn't and idiots like you take advantage of this.

And it's not only those who buy from you that you are ripping off- it's also the poor who cant afford to spend ages queuing for a console, and who are priced out of the said console which was designed to be affordable. Nurses who want to get their kids a Wii for Xmas, but can't because they are all being bought up by lawyers on ebay from scum like you.

Its not justifiable using some half-arsed liberal economic arguments- Many things in this world should not be sold at demand prices. I bet you would buy and sell heart transplants on ebay if you could. Because you are scum.

I didn't plan on buying a PS3 and this was all rather expected. But this pretty much cements my predictions. Development costs are even further through the roof than I anticipated.. this guarantees no smaller, more innovative game studios will be developing for the machine, so most of what we see will be rushed-out-the-door shovelware as usual. Some unique games from small studios might come out around when the console is about to die, a la PS2, but that's about it. It's little wonder why people like me, who aren't satisfied with Metal Gear Solid 19 and Final Fantasy 62 end up buying Nintendo's systems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back