Not open for further replies.

Azalin

What was that? It sounded like a, a sound of some
Website
www.loremaster.a-host.info
Straight from the pages of DCemu:

November 30th, 2006, 15:13 Posted By: Darksaviour69

Japanese publisher reveals break-even figures

Namco Bandai must sell over 500,000 units of its PS3 titles before it begins to make a profit, according to president Takeo Takasu.

The price of graphics alone costs the second-largest Japanese publisher one billion yen (EUR 6.5 million), more than double that of titles for Nintendo's Wii, according to a report by Bloomberg.

"We have to sell at least 500,000 copies per title worldwide to make a profit on PlayStation 3 games," said Takasu.

Namco Bandai released Ridge Racer 7 and Mobile Suit Gundam for the PlayStation 3, both of which were the highest-selling games on the weekend of release, shifting around 22,000 units each.

What "mighty" are you talking about? Namco? What have they done to deserve "the mighty have fallen"?

It's not like they'll stop producing for the PS3. So it's really no big deal.

considering the ps3 isnt even out worldwide yet how is this a problem ? do you think they wont sell 500,000 ? NAMCO must have known this before they made any ps3 games or do you think they just realised that after spending time and money on making the games ?

The point I think is important is the actual price to develop these games. Not the time it takes for a company to reclaim a profit. It's clear that it's a waste of funds and resources that could be better spent making games playable as opposed to pretty.

The point I think is important is the actual price to develop these games. Not the time it takes for a company to reclaim a profit. It's clear that it's a waste of funds and resources that could be better spent making games playable as opposed to pretty.
You're insinuating that PS3 games aren't playable ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was more of a general poke at just how much its costing to develop titles for the PS3. And i'm hopped up on flu medication, so who knows WTF i'm talking about. :)

Dude, cost of development isn't PS3 exclusive issue. Unless it's a tetris-clone, games cost shitloads of money to make, and few bring in profit.

Well It is playable and pretty :p actually im goin to plaY it now !

You're insinuating that PS3 games aren't playable ;)

I'm insinuating nothing. I'm stating that the budget would make more of an impact elsewhere.

You're saying that making a PS3 game is a waste of money and resources, and it would be better to make a playable game. I'm sorry, you aren't insinuating anything. You're making a clear statement. A very ignorant and fanboyish one might I add.

This isnt really news. Its just a shame that more and more "little guys" arent able to drop the initial nut to get a game out there. The huge game companies like EA can afford to, but that just assures us we'll get more of the same cookie cutter stuff. Boy the future of consoles looks great :(

You're saying that making a PS3 game is a waste of money and resources, and it would be better to make a playable game. I'm sorry, you aren't insinuating anything. You're making a clear statement. A very ignorant and fanboyish one might I add.

Quit putting words in my mouth. :eek:

It is my opinion, ragardless of platform, if a games company is having to spend most of its time and resources building up assets(to make up that HD game), this doesn't make so much difference to the game. It just makes it look nicer. The Game might well be playable as it stands (this hypothetical game) but if There wasn't this constant drive to add "one more vertex" to our 3D models and make textures another 512 px wider... that budget could actually be used more fruitfully. It should be a balance of assets and code. It seems things are getting lopsided and THIS is the point I'm trying to make.

And with that I ask you to stop trying to pick a fight with me because it's getting rather tiring. I have my own opinions and yes I like the Direction that Nintendo is going. I'd like gaming to become more sociable (I was the only serious gamer in my year when I was in school... it's not nice feeling like such an outcast ;)) and I don't want a new media format forced upon me. The only reason I would buy a PS3 is the fact that SquareEnix are in bed with Sony... and I like Final Fantasy games... that is not a good enough reason so I simply won't buy a PS3.

Don't patronise and dismiss as a simple fanboy, yes my opinions are more aligned to Nintendo's console but that's not to say I think they are doing everything correctly and that the sun shines out of their collective arse as a company. I try to look at things objectively from as many angles as my brain will allow, separate fact from fiction, hype from reality etc. Now please get off my case.

Quit putting words in my mouth. :eek:

It is my opinion, ragardless of platform, if a games company is having to spend most of its time and resources building up assets(to make up that HD game), this doesn't make so much difference to the game. It just makes it look nicer. The Game might well be playable as it stands (this hypothetical game) but if There wasn't this constant drive to add "one more vertex" to our 3D models and make textures another 512 px wider... that budget could actually be used more fruitfully. It should be a balance of assets and code. It seems things are getting lopsided and THIS is the point I'm trying to make.

And with that I ask you to stop trying to pick a fight with me because it's getting rather tiring. I have my own opinions and yes I like the Direction that Nintendo is going. I'd like gaming to become more sociable (I was the only serious gamer in my year when I was in school... it's not nice feeling like such an outcast ;)) and I don't want a new media format forced upon me. The only reason I would buy a PS3 is the fact that SquareEnix are in bed with Sony... and I like Final Fantasy games... that is not a good enough reason so I simply won't buy a PS3.

Don't patronise and dismiss as a simple fanboy, yes my opinions are more aligned to Nintendo's console but that's not to say I think they are doing everything correctly and that the sun shines out of their collective arse as a company. I try to look at things objectively from as many angles as my brain will allow, separate fact from fiction, hype from reality etc. Now please get off my case.
First of all, this is a forum. If you don't like the fact that people are challenging what you believe to be correct, then I suggest you leave. Or ignore me, one or the other. You seem to take things personally, and they are anything BUT personal attacks. You PM me saying things like "we have different opinions once again!". REALLY? I HAVE NOT NOTICED.

No one is putting words in your mouth. Re-read your statement:

It's clear? I don't think so. It's not a waste at all. People like myself and DaveC like graphics. I don't know about him, but I'm buying the Playstation 3 because it's going to look beautiful on my new TV. I'm not alone. People are buying the system because it's absolutely revolutionary, although I'm sure you'd disagree because it doesn't have a gimmicky controller to make up for mediocre-at-best graphics. ;)

No one is patronizing you. I just strongly disagree that the money should be spent making something "playable", when in my opinion, the game is already fine. Maybe restate your comment so it reads: "IMO, It's clear that it's a waste of funds and resources that could be better spent making games WITH BETTER GAMEPLAY as opposed to pretty.

So allow me to reiterate: If you take personal offense to what I say, either don't join forums, or ignore me. Thanks in advance.

i dont understand this "HD textures is an extra burden for companys" thing.
I tought devs did highres/models/textures/ and later stripped them down, because the general consumer dont have the horsepower the test boxes have

and wouldnt artists praise that they no longer have to limit their work so much i surely would embrace the fact that i can virtually create my pictures and they will (almost) look identical to the original

to me it seems some companys dont want to rethink their view of developing games.

it,s like Ohh no they put vector units in the ps2/ps3 so we have to redo the engine and not just straight port it trough X86-pc,g3-nintendo,risc-ps2,g4xbox,g4ps3

ive never seen a content creator whine about HD just the coders

aw heck imagine if one console kills the others GREAT ??? games will be made for one platform with ONE company ruling us all and the world will seem like a more shitty place !!! (Yay goodriddance to divercety who needs it ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back