Off To Korea, Gpx2 Awaits!

Dang I was hoping for it to be a little less like $170 all together.

Well does anyone know if they changed the ABXY buttons so that they are in the right place that was driving me insain! When I mean right place I mean like the SNES and I am pretty sure XBOX.

I doubt they'll change the button positions as it'd make it look even more like they built the things just to infringe on Nintendo's copyrights.

It could be completely possible to switch around the button "caps" if it's that much of a deal, but you'd have still have remember the "real" configuration to use any programs...

reallynotnick posted on Aug 30 2005 at 10:35 PM said:
Dang I was hoping for it to be a little less like $170 all together.

Well does anyone know if they changed the ABXY buttons so that they are in the right place that was driving me insain! When I mean right place I mean like the SNES and I am pretty sure XBOX.

It doesn't matter what the button labels are. They're just labels, they mean nothing. The buttons are in the "right place" - it's a perfect SNES style layout, and that's all that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Aug 30 2005 at 09:05 PM said:
I can confirm the price at about £100-£104 ex VAT, depending on the exchange rate in october.

And yes the extra ram did push the price up, I still don't think we needed it but its there now anyway ;)

-Craig

www.gbax.com

That's like $180 - $190. Perfect.

Still under $200, and that 64MB WILL absolutely be very useful. See my thread about it, the 64MB means every single CPS2 game for example can be loaded into RAM. With 32MB that wouldn't be true. So I'm happy to pay a little extra for that sort of possibility.

Still, call it £120 (hopefully including UK delivery, eh Craigix old buddy old pal lol?) and its still a helluva buy from the look of the thing (he says having committed himself).

Idd, that's about the price I payed for an NLU before customs whacked VAT and their own tax on top about 3 years ago now to rocket it to £150. So considering that included the shipping costs from Hong Kong (was via LikSang), the price is roughly in line from the looks it with how the original GP32 was before anyone started to add lovely lighting to the thing lol. Just in case anyone's interested, of course.

Hoping to avoid hitting the £200 mark though this time round though - don't need to fork out *quite* so much for a sizable bit of storage (although I doubt I'll stick with my one 128MB SD card either though ;) ). We'll see, as ever...

Prophet posted on Aug 30 2005 at 11:20 PM said:
craigix posted on Aug 30 2005 at 09:05 PM said:
I can confirm the price at about £100-£104 ex VAT, depending on the exchange rate in october.

And yes the extra ram did push the price up, I still don't think we needed it but its there now anyway ;)

-Craig

www.gbax.com

That's like $180 - $190. Perfect.

Still under $200, and that 64MB WILL absolutely be very useful. See my thread about it, the 64MB means every single CPS2 game for example can be loaded into RAM. With 32MB that wouldn't be true. So I'm happy to pay a little extra for that sort of possibility.

I agree 100% For less than the price of a tank of gas you now have DOUBLE the RAM that you had before.

@ those whining about an extra $20 or so:

Just save up for an extra month. It is better to have more RAM for years when it only takes days to save up for the added cost. Plus now we can brag and say the GPx2 has more RAM than a PSP :p

The PSP costs $250 and that is without a game. Buy a couple of games and you are over $300.00 real fast and you still haven't bought one of those overpriced memory sticks yet (why are memory sticks so much more than SD?) if you want to use emulators.

GPH actually listemed to customer suggestions and added more RAM. I think that is pretty cool, please don't whine. Go ask Sony or Nintendo for an added feature, and ask Microsoft to include a HDD in ALL 360s and see how far you get ;)

Sony has (like Apple) been overprivced in the past.. but memsticks not made by Sony have actually hit reality now. (I picked up a 1GB SanDisk memstick pro duo for about $80CDN or so .. not bad at all.)

64MB will be useful for some things, but 32MB or more is what is really needed; time will tell if the extra $20 will hurt or not. Remember, they want mass market, not just a few hardcore folks.. the hardcore don't pay the bills :)

ie: Theres a very well known truth that something might sell for $13, but not sell at all for $16 .. crossing the $14 barrier is a big psychological step for some people. The pysocological steps vary by geographic and demographic regions of course.

But the diff going from $170 to $200 (or whatever) could be very important; they may have been smarter to build it with an expansion bus to add more memory or other things, or maybe smarter to just build it in (since RAM prices tend to go down.)

Hopefully they've thoguht about it quite a bit, since the things they have to worry about are entirely separate to the things people here care about :)

jeff

junker posted on Sep 4 2005 at 04:19 PM said:
where is that video, craig ;)

He's got to get it onto his PC, and then edit out all the bits we are not supposed to see, so it's not exactly a 5 minute job.

Anyone know roughly when in october the GP2X will get released, like is it the beginning or the end of.
Also does it come with emulators already on it

GPH say end of Oct, shipping beginning of Nov. Although Craig may get them in earlier than this, specially for developers Craig/GPH have pre-selected to generate content for the system.

It's doubtful GPH will be releasing many emulators themselves, they will most likely come from the developers that Craig/GPH have selected (no, we don't know who those developers are, but they are from the GP32, so you should be able to guess).

Back