Off To Korea, Gpx2 Awaits!

Prophet posted on Aug 28 2005 at 06:12 PM said:
tengen, I like your sigs. :)

Can I borrow that GPX2 banner for my sig?

sure :D

Last edited by a moderator:
black is the default color :)

but pleas make them use s standart mini-usb socket and not some custom thing again.
also a extport with many possibilitys would be great :)

skeezix posted on Aug 29 2005 at 02:31 AM said:
Sticking with gp32x.de I hope, and not opening another? :)
jeff

www.gpx2x.com ;)

Nah, I think it's http://www.gpx2.de/

No doub't there will be a redirector when the new name is known.

Hello,

Its been a long week, but everything is complete. Today I visited the factory and met the people who are building the console.

It will be black in colour. All the specs are complete, nothing will now be changed.

It will ship in October. So get those preorders in! Unit numbers are outragiously limited before xmas but we will do our best! At the moment we have enough units coming to fill all preorders, but I think come xmas there will be a shortage.

I have seen it running linux based emulators today and the performace (FS 0) was amazing considering they don't have asm cores! Movie playback was perfect. I have video of all my adventures.

Devs, I will be in touch re the boards in the next 10 days. Will try to be on #gp32dev tonight.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Ooh...so we could have some pretty cool software right off the bat?

Shame about the limited quantities, though :(

sometimes in life, it seems like the best stuff always comes in limited quantities. :(

How much will it be though, to pre-order, and how much will the unit cost when it's released? I've not got much in the way of funds so if it's like £200+ i'll have to wait for them to hit ebay second hand or something.

Alpha2 posted on Aug 29 2005 at 05:00 PM said:
Would they need any tinkering? or will this stuff run right off the bat?
Need quite alot of tinkering. But not as much as ports for the gp32 normally need.

I have seen it running linux based emulators today and the performace (FS 0) was amazing considering they don't have asm cores!

Holy crap! :) But what emus? Since he mentions ASM cores, it sounds like something more advanced than NES.

EDIT: OK I see above now, it's GBC. Hmm, I wonder if Shantae ran fs0? That game tests the speed of a GBC emu pretty well. ;)

But what about places that are more import friendly (in terms of cost) to the USA? GP32Z and Play-Asia for example? I hope they'll have some as well.

A600 posted on Aug 29 2005 at 03:51 PM said:
Craigix confirmed on IRC that the emulators he tried was a gameboy color one (gnuboy probably)

Oh. Well, then it's not that impressive. I used to run Gnuboy at fs0 on my 200Mhz PocketPC.

According to Craig the linux emu he saw only took about 5 minutes to get up and running, so hardly any tinkering needed at all. I would guess the emu was pure SDL for it to recompile that easily. You won't be able to just download and run any linux binary though as they will mostly be compiled for x86 and not arm, but to be honest you won't find many linux apps in a straight forward binary form anyway as they are usually downloaded as source or packaged for a specific distribution.

woogal posted on Aug 29 2005 at 09:38 PM said:
According to Craig the linux emu he saw only took about 5 minutes to get up and running, so hardly any tinkering needed at all. I would guess the emu was pure SDL for it to recompile that easily. You won't be able to just download and run any linux binary though as they will mostly be compiled for x86 and not arm, but to be honest you won't find many linux apps in a straight forward binary form anyway as they are usually downloaded as source or packaged for a specific distribution.

Well, if it's THAT easy to port most apps (even I can compile stuff on my Linux box), we should see the gpx2 File Archive be filled with pre-compiled games pretty fast :)

Last edited:
Depends on a lot of things..

A text application might port easy; an SDL app may (or may not) work, depending how much it assumes about the screen size and controls -- ie: If it expects a 800x600 display, it'll be in for a surprised :)

Still, makes things 50 times easier than other.. being based on Linux makes it a total walk in the park to port, and to write new code for..

jeff

Back