No Gbax 2007 ?!

craigix said:
PSP, GP2X and DS this year?
You've made my birthday

:wub:

EDIT: I'll also donate money to the person who ports over Drunken Frogger from the compo a couple years back...

Last edited by a moderator:
Donskeeto wanted GP32 to be included in the compo, so I will see what craig says. I don't see any harm in it and there's nothing to lose.

In the past we have tried to make the competition rules as basic as possible, you can enter what you want software and most content within reason so I think having a specific prize for a specific type of entry wouldn't work and not in the style of the GBAX compos. Maybe do something like the bounty programs for gp32 a while back.

I will speak to craig hopefully later on and get some ideas down for the compo. One thing we will probably need are new splash screens for the compo, I will post more details when we have them.

Guyfawkes said:
Donskeeto wanted GP32 to be included in the compo, so I will see what craig says. I don't see any harm in it and there's nothing to lose.
Oh, yeah?! Like that lazy bum would finish a single bit ;)

One thing we will probably need are new splash screens for the compo, I will post more details when we have them.

I would like to see something like last year where everyone could make splash screens and people could vote for the best ones afterwards.

I'm all for any ideas! I just think that the GP2X will become much more popular if it had some more high quality apps. I hate to say this, but how many versions of asteroids do we need? I think that the community should decide on the type of software to make and then have an x prize. We could do this in addition to GBAX. Having some killer applications would be a great booster to the GP2X scene. You could say, "my GP2X can play PS1 games full speed!". Then people will look more at the GP2X as a whole.

RockOut said:
I'm all for any ideas! I just think that the GP2X will become much more popular if it had some more high quality apps. I hate to say this, but how many versions of asteroids do we need? I think that the community should decide on the type of software to make and then have an x prize. We could do this in addition to GBAX. Having some killer applications would be a great booster to the GP2X scene. You could say, "my GP2X can play PS1 games full speed!". Then people will look more at the GP2X as a whole.
Perhaps you should take a longer look at the software that came out of past competitions that allowed this dreaded freedom before implying that no killer apps can come from one :)

Make bounties for specific software. Where's the gain in having 100 devs working on 100 similar projects?

RockOut said:
I think that the community should decide on the type of software to make and then have an x prize.
This will put developers off doing that thing. I don't think any of us like being told by 'the community' (or rather one or two more vocal members of it).

Seeing as this community did start with the GP32, it really ought to be included. I must say, I doubt there'd be more than one or two entries, given how most of the GP32 developers seem to have moved over to GP2x, but even still, it's only fair to give people the chance to dev on it if they want to.

Orkie said:
RockOut said:
I think that the community should decide on the type of software to make and then have an x prize.
This will put developers off doing that thing. I don't think any of us like being told by 'the community' (or rather one or two more vocal members of it).

As I said earlier. I thick Rockout posted this twice.

Nova said:
EDIT: I'll also donate money to the person who ports over Drunken Frogger from the compo a couple years back...

drunken frogger and drunken arcade master were by far my favorite gp32 homebrew games; so damn addicting and fun (NEVER left my smc). Whadaya say about finishing off the trilogy Craig :D

RockOut said:
Coding competitions are great and everything, but why can't we have a GP2X "X Prize"? For example, we could say "Whoever makes a working PSX emulator first will win so and so prize". That way, it will be much easier to get some high-quality software made instead of stuff which can be created in 2 weeks. I agree that the quick and dirty things are good, but most of the time even the best projects get dropped after the competition because there is no motivation to continue development. Bottom line, this year, the community should raise $ for a larger prize and whoever completes the task that we set first will win it. B)
Bounties!!!

So when will this be getting started, any guesses at a finishing date and will the DS definitely be allowed?

Back