Gbax 2007 Splash Screens

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
I posted this in the other topic but haven't had much interest so thought to try it in a new post in case people missed it before. This topic is for the designing of the splash screens which can be used in peoples entries when their software is loading. It would be much appreciated if there was a couple of designs submitted for authors to choose from. Don't let my splash screens below be the face of the compo ;)

The name of the compo is 'GBAX 2007' and sub text is 'GP2X, GP32, PSP and DS Coding Competition', the sites urls are 'www.gp2x.co.uk and www.emuholic.com'.

There are three sizes of splash screens, PSP 480x272, GP2X/GP32 320x240 and DS 256x192 or 256x384. I would recommend using a decent format such as BMP or PNG, JPEG isnt too good. If you want to do a 468x60 banner that would be cool as well.

Here is an example of some splash screens I knocked up the other day, ignore the jaggly edges on the consoles as I haven't finished them, but you get the idea... I hope :)

gbax-480-1.png

gbax-320-1.png

gbax-256-1.png

gbax-468-1.png

You can email them to me at guyfawkes@NOSPAMgbaemu.com (remove the NOSPAM) or post them here.

The compo should be starting later in the week so you should submit your splash screens by friday or saturday if possible. To clear a few things up, DS, PSP, GP2X and GP32 games, apps and emulators will be allowed, the deadline will be around two months from the start date. Prizes are not decided yet, craig is putting his thinking cap on for this :)

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the splash screen.

Great that you and Craig take the time and effort for a new competition!
It is kinda short notice, but i'll try to whip something up before saturday.

** update **

This is what i came up with so far (fonts looks better on gp2x screen).

gbax6.png

I'll get my splashes finished by today or tomorrow hopefully, and send em to you, guido.

I just put together a little something in the PSP size:

Image removed see post below.

If there's any interest in the theme I can make the others.

DaGrooved1 said:
I just put together a little something in the PSP size:

image4qs2.png

If there's any interest in the theme I can make the others.
I really like that. Can you do a GP2X/GP32 version in blue? I'd use that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, not a problem, I've got a lil free time before supper, I'll see what I can do.

Alright I suppose this is what they'd look like in blue 320x240:

Images removed, see post below.

edit: Made the text better.

DaGrooved1 said:
Alright I suppose this is what they'd look like in blue 320x240:
Alright, nice. Thanks for these - I like them both. Only one problem... you gave me a choice! :lol: Now I have to decide :unsure:

Reap

I just editted that post to update the text a bit better. Suppose I might aswell start working on the other sizes. Also noticed a strange purple square was appearing in one of them, but when I saved it to my hdd the purple box was gone, so if you see an odd purple box on one of my pics it wasn't my intention :p

gp2x.info said:

** update **

gbax6.png
I like that a LOT, it's minimalistic, but at the same time, very descriptive, if you follow....

DaGrooved1 said:
dammit, you stole my idea.

don't start complaining when you see mine with some similar looking parallelograms :D

edit: just checked and mine go the other way :D :ph34r:

Alright, so to sum up:

PSP:

Red
psplr2.png

Blue
pspbluehl6.png

GP2X/GP32:

gp32xax4.png

DS:

dswc8.png

Banner:

bannerqi5.png

Notes:

The reason they're in different colors is just to show that I can adjust the color to whatever is preferred. My banner isn't much to look at, I could do an animated one but not sure how well that would go over. Also I don't know what to put in that last section on my PSP one, it's just a big blank area, maybe I'll put a nice happy face sticker there or something.

don't start complaining when you see mine with some similar looking parallelograms

Haha, I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person in history to use this design. Besides, this is about giving the authors choice isn't it :p

Great work so far everyone!

gp2x.info - i like your design a lot, simple yet it gets the point across perfectly. if you could increase the font size on the sub and url text that would be great, just so its a bit bigger and easier to read. also if you could make PSP and DS size ones that would be perfect. if you cant I should be able to edit them for the other sizes.

DaGrooved1 - again nice designs, i prefer the blue colour the most. one idea for the right end blank part could be to use the right hand side of the PSP controller.

Alright, looks better with the other side of the PSP. Not sure what I was smoking at the time but for some reason my GP2X is constantly changing capital letters, first it's GP2x then it's GP2X then it's Gp2X :p

DaGrooved1 said:
Banner:

bannerqi5.png

My banner isn't much to look at, I could do an animated one but not sure how well that would go over.
Actually, I rather like the banner the most. I like the multi-colored look to it.

Reap

Nova said:
gp2x.info said:

** update **

gbax6.png
I like that a LOT, it's minimalistic, but at the same time, very descriptive, if you follow....

same here, reduced to the max, brilliant; just a pity that not all four handhelds got this nintendo dpad

Ok you guys, tell me how you feel about this one. I've done it in the same style for the other 3 consoles as well, this is just a tester to see how it can be improved...

Splash2x-2.png

I also did this:

Splash2x2-1.png

Very nice graphic work Nova, I especially like the first one. Something bothers me about the second one, I think it's the placement of the cap. Anywho keep them both, so people will have more to choose from :)

yep. I like them Oddly, I prefer the second one...

aww, I really want to enter this, but if I can't even install allegro :(

Back