No Gbax 2007 ?!

synkro

0xdeadbeef
Website
Visit site
As we all know, compos are the best things that can happen to any hoembrew scene. Pulsating new energy, creativity and of course games through the veins of any kind of hardware. There were some badly promoted and poorly attended compos in the past for whatsoever reasons. Are the times for the big, engaging compos for the GP2X already over? Now, rumor has it that there will be no more GBAX compos as Craig and Guyfawkes split after a bad arguemnt two weeks ago. No more collaborations between the Emuholic remainder and us means the loss of the biggest homebrew compo we ever had. Are you brave enough to get a great compo going to the salvation for us all?

P.S. I am not talking about a Crap Games Compo as dicksp00n already failed on that task. I pitty that fool.

Well, it is starting to be a little while since there was a competition, now, isn't it? I wonder if it's time to try and put one together...

People here seem to be quite negative about compos. But just think about the quality of software we have seen from them.

haha. What the hell happened to the CGC? It's like nick completely forgot about it :lol:

Anyway, we DO need another compo, but it must be run by people who are competant. I say we ask ED, Craig, and Guy to host this one. We know it will be done professionally.

Whatta ya say guys?

I was wondering the same thing myself. A GBAX2007 in the spring, and a new Community Games Contest in the fall/winter seems like the winning combination. Good luck to the organizers! :)

PS: Oh, and perhaps having different categories for emus, ports, and original homebrew would be a good thing.

I kinda like being on the other side of coding compos as despite being in the homebrew scene for god knows how many years I had never entered one until the community compo last year. I have lost count how many I have either organised, judged or been part in :)

But if Craig was up for doing gbax 2007 in the original format we done in previous years i.e. multi console, I would be very interested in doing it. If its just a GP2X compo I think I will give it a miss and probably enter a game I am (supposed to be) making instead.

Oh in case anyone is wondering, the first post is a part joke synkro started on IRC earlier, me and craig haven't had an argument :)

Guyfawkes said:
Oh in case anyone is wondering, the first post is a part joke synkro started on IRC earlier, me and craig haven't had an argument :)
And this is why inside jokes aren't funny to most people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guyfawkes said:
I kinda like being on the other side of coding compos as despite being in the homebrew scene for god knows how many years I had never entered one until the community compo last year. I have lost count how many I have either organised, judged or been part in :)

3? :)

Excellent news, two victims to the growing empire of GP2X killer apps :)

Coding competitions are great and everything, but why can't we have a GP2X "X Prize"? For example, we could say "Whoever makes a working PSX emulator first will win so and so prize". That way, it will be much easier to get some high-quality software made instead of stuff which can be created in 2 weeks. I agree that the quick and dirty things are good, but most of the time even the best projects get dropped after the competition because there is no motivation to continue development. Bottom line, this year, the community should raise $ for a larger prize and whoever completes the task that we set first will win it. B)

Homebrew developers often have jobs as programmers where they are told what to do. Part of the compotetion is that they can be awarded for doing something that THEY want to do. Not what someone else wants them to do.

Yeah, Sam is right there, I just like the quirky stuff which turns up with gbax, some of the gp32 stuff was very unique and much loved back in the day. It's just all good fun.

invinciblegod said:
Guyfawkes said:
And this is why inside jokes aren't funny to most people.

Joke is not the right term here. As always we were discussing dev, scene and scrotum related issues at #gp2xdev. This thread is just the mere result of a few lines back there with just one goal.

craigix said:
PSP, GP2X and DS this year?
Well, that's what we hoped to hear.

RockOut said:
Coding competitions are great and everything, but why can't we have a GP2X "X Prize"? For example, we could say "Whoever makes a working PSX emulator first will win so and so prize". That way, it will be much easier to get some high-quality software made instead of stuff which can be created in 2 weeks. I agree that the quick and dirty things are good, but most of the time even the best projects get dropped after the competition because there is no motivation to continue development. Bottom line, this year, the community should raise $ for a larger prize and whoever completes the task that we set first will win it. B)

That's exactly the thing we don't want to achieve with this initiative! Even though I am part of a fundamentalist dev minority that would love to see emus banned from compos, it's not me but the scene/organizers to decide such things.

Blah said:
Exactly. We need more of that GP32 style goodness.
So, now everything is said.

Back