Nintendo Wii U

Great game (especially for that price) if you don't have a problem with a plattformer-(light)rpg mix that has a lot of text in it
I have a problem with download only software.

If those nice games would have a Boxed version I'd buy them.

Great game (especially for that price) if you don't have a problem with a plattformer-(light)rpg mix that has a lot of text in it
I have a problem with download only software.

If those nice games would have a Boxed version I'd buy them.
I would have liked that too, but CoL is a digital only title and as I had still some bucks left on my eShop account (through the premium program), I figured "what the heck".

But while we are at it, has anyone else slight problems with games on an usb drive ? As the internal memory was already full, I had to move one title to an usb drive. But as it looks like the game is not always recognized: There is a symbol in the quick menu, but if i try to start the game I only get an error message and the game is gone in the WiiU menu (but the usb drive is still shown as connected). I need to restart the console in order to get the game back into the menu.

If I recall correctly, usb drives are supposed to be only used for save files, I think the reasoning is that flash memory is still fairly volatile.

Though your issue seems to hint at another reason too.

I read some article that it's now possible to pay eshop via PayPal.

That's nice.

Now I might buy more there.

If I recall correctly, usb drives are supposed to be only used for save files
Hard to believe as that would mean they had no interest in people that only bought the basic (8GB flash memory) version, beeing "eager" eshop customers.

Edit:

I read some article that it's now possible to pay eshop via PayPal.

That's nice.

Now I might buy more there.
Seems to be some kind of direct cooperation with paypal. But you still need to buy ehops cards, but they are virtual, and you don't have to pay the extra "fee" that online sellers used to take ( which often as not where almost 20%).

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be some kind of direct cooperation with paypal. But you still need to buy ehops cards, but they are virtual, and you don't have to pay the extra "fee" that online sellers used to take ( which often as not where almost 20%).
As long as I can buy them virtually it's fine for me.

I simply don't want to go in a store and buy a card.

Your USB device problem:

Maybe this is interesting for you:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64669464

Don't know how trustworthy it is but short conclusion is: USB stick: No; HDD: Yes

Your USB device problem:

Maybe this is interesting for you:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64669464

Don't know how trustworthy it is but short conclusion is: USB stick: No; HDD: Yes
Don't know, there is a lot of confusion going on in that thread, and the "the verge" review isn't helping much in that regard. But it seems a little akward, that Nintendo would allow moving games to a usb drive If their implementation would be dodgy. I was thinking about an hardware defect (which would not be ideal as I bought the console used). Maybe I'll give it a try with USB HDD - it it happens that I get my hands on an empty one.

WTF is up with this years club nintendo gold and platinum rewards? i dont want to choose any of these :/

WTF is up with this years club nintendo gold and platinum rewards? i dont want to choose any of these :/
Sadly, I knew this was coming :p Honestly, I'm amazed "N" hasn't cancelled CN altogether. Look at the rewards section, and it's about a 3rd of the size it was just a few years ago. The annual platinum and gold rewards have been going down hill as well. The physical rewards cost money, and as long as profits are down, we will be seeing worse and worse offers.

I don't really mind some digital games, but come on, any "N" fan is going to already have the games offered. So WTF are we supposed to do with this shit? The least they could do is offer some games like they did for the ambassador years ago. Stuff that isn't available anywhere else. Maybe some SNES or GBA, or even GC games that haven't been released yet on VC. 

Anyway, I went with DKC3D, and since I already own it, and there's 100+ listings on Ebay, I'll just give it to my son. It's probably to hard for him, but I had to get the best value offered.

Someone mentioned somewhere that a game like Mother 3 would be great, and I agree. The fan translation guys said they would give it to "N" for free, and then they could make it a platinum reward. How cool would that be? Can you imagine how many people would join CN to get an exclusive like that? Years ago they offered the Doc Luis Punch-Out exclusive, so I know they can do better. They are just getting way lazy, and fans are pissed.

I understand it's a free service, but we all trade our time filling out those dopey surveys in the hopes of some decent prizes, and this year was a huge slap in the face. I'm actually sorry I didn't get that Luigi Statue last year, as now I have a ton of coins and nothing to spend them on. The rewards section is just terrible this year. I always thought the posters where a lackluster prize, but now they are looking pretty good compared to our recent offers.

Chris

why cant they at least convert status to eshop credit instead of picks from their crap? 

The annual platinum and gold rewards have been going down hill as well.
I had been noticing this as well, and wasn't worried that I hadn't purchased any games in the last year.  I probably would feel like it was not worth it to me had I participated.  Of the games listed I either have or don't want what is listed.  If NES Remix 2 was listed I would want that.

Someone mentioned somewhere that a game like Mother 3 would be great, and I agree. The fan translation guys said they would give it to "N" for free, and then they could make it a platinum reward. How cool would that be? Can you imagine how many people would join CN to get an exclusive like that?
That would be a great option for everyone involved.  I don't see a down side for anyone, so why won't they do this?

Also note that some drives that are low power and powered by a single USB will still require a Y cable for the Wii U...
Using an HDD would not be a real solution for me anyway as the plan is to buy one of those tiny/nano USB sticks so it does not stick out very much.
Btw. a new update is due to be distributed. I just wish Nintendo would go more into detail, what exactly "Updates to system stability and usability" means, as the more "fleshed" out improvents in the announcement aren't very interesting (often).

Also note that some drives that are low power and powered by a single USB will still require a Y cable for the Wii U...
Using an HDD would not be a real solution for me anyway as the plan is to buy one of those tiny/nano USB sticks so it does not stick out very much.

Btw. a new update is due to be distributed. I just wish Nintendo would go more into detail, what exactly "Updates to system stability and usability" means, as the more "fleshed" out improvents in the announcement aren't very interesting (often).
Fair enough!

Stability updates are normally code for "We have patched up some existing or potential homebrew exploits" And things on that regard are beginning to become a bit more interesting...Although apparently this update hasn't broken homebrew...

Someone mentioned somewhere that a game like Mother 3 would be great, and I agree. The fan translation guys said they would give it to "N" for free, and then they could make it a platinum reward. How cool would that be? Can you imagine how many people would join CN to get an exclusive like that?
That would be a great option for everyone involved.  I don't see a down side for anyone, so why won't they do this?
You haven't been a "N" fan for long have you? :lol:

NOA doesn't really have much say in any real decisions, that mostly comes from Japan, and it's just not possible for "N" to ever accept a fan translation, as that would open the floodgates(at least in their minds), for such things to be considered OK. 

For a game like Mother 3 that we all know they will never translate in English, so in the end, a fan translation only helps to improve the Japanese sales of the cartridge, as many will buy it to use the translation on. The translation has been out many years now, and for them to get it, and make some changes would be minimal on their end, but who knows the legal issues behind such a thing. 

Even though the translation team said they would give it to them for free, "N" would have to cover their ass, and who knows if they would ever go through the legal hassles of it all. The translation team even made a art/guide book that is better than ANYTHING I've ever seen come out of NOA. Mother 3 is widely considered one of the best FT of all time, and would go along way to score points with the fans, but "N" has to BIG of a stick up their arse to ever do something this cool.

Hell, it took them FOREVER to finally give us Earthbound on VC, and that was released in English ages ago. Then they made it seem like the moved heaven and hell to make it happen(we did the fans a favor). They are so full of shit on a regular basis, it's unbelievable. Bayonetta 2 is just about the coolest thing they have done in the last 20 years, and sadly it will probably be their last to to the poor sales that are guaranteed to happen.

Chris

You haven't been a "N" fan for long have you?
Nah, only about 26 years or so.  I can't recall exactly when, but it was around the time Nintendo Power came out.

NOA doesn't really have much say in any real decisions, that mostly comes from Japan, and it's just not possible for "N" to ever accept a fan translation, as that would open the floodgates(at least in their minds), for such things to be considered OK. 
Yet they have listened to fan requests before.  As you mentioned, Earthbound on VC was an example of this.  Also the guys in Kyoto wouldn't have to spend money paying someone for a translation.  I remember Mother never making it here for that reason. 

For a game like Mother 3 that we all know they will never translate in English, so in the end, a fan translation only helps to improve the Japanese sales of the cartridge, as many will buy it to use the translation on. The translation has been out many years now, and for them to get it, and make some changes would be minimal on their end, but who knows the legal issues behind such a thing. 
Actually, the translation can't be used with a legitimate cartridge, so the Japanese carts have no value to those who only want to play the translated game, regardless of the suggestions of Mother fan sites.  Are these carts even still being produced and sold?  If not there is no more money to be made by Nintendo off of Mother 3 carts at all, unless they own a bit of the stores that are selling them used. 

I know that Nintendo has been cautious as long as they have been in this business, but I still see the risk to them as being minimal.  They have people that can check on the legal stuff in each country they might release a fan translation, and who can make sure that they are covered before making any deals.  I, and may others, still think they should do it and wonder why they will not.

Fans buy the Japanese cart so they can support "N", and play the game legitimately. Some guys dump the cart, and use the file with the translation patch and what not. That way it's more legit in regards to playing the game. Not all of us do this, but there is a rather big sect of the community that does(Policenauts, FF Type-0, Ect.).

For me personally, I give donations to the translation teams, and to hell with the companies who couldn't be bothered with doing the job in the first place(but that's just me) ;)  Why give my funds to "N", Capcom or Konami when they didn't want my funds to begin with(F**k'em).

Every once in awhile "N" does surprise me, it hasn't happened much over the last 30+ years, but it does happen. I can't really say why they won't use this translation, but I just know they never will. I see them actually translating the game themselves, before they EVER use someone else's efforts. "N" is just wired this way, as most of the problems they current face is just due to out right stubbornness in regards to industry ideas and concepts.

If they can't say they innovated the idea, or came up with it, they never give credit where it's due. Now if they can't do this in regards to a proper account system, or cross buy, or trophies/achievements, I can't ever see them saying some fans did a great job on a translation and then supporting it, it just won't happen.

Chris

Fans buy the Japanese cart so they can support "N", and play the game legitimately. Some guys dump the cart, and use the file with the translation patch and what not. That way it's more legit in regards to playing the game. Not all of us do this, but there is a rather big sect of the community that does(Policenauts, FF Type-0, Ect.).
I understand the theory behind it, but if the carts are no longer being sold by Nintendo then it is in no way supporting them.  As for the legal side of it, that is up to courts wherever these people live to decide.  I wonder how many even have the hardware to dump the ROM from the carts.  Probably not very many.  GBA is one of the few I can do this for.

For me personally, I give donations to the translation teams, and to hell with the companies who couldn't be bothered with doing the job in the first place(but that's just me)  Why give my funds to "N", Capcom or Konami when they didn't want my funds to begin with(F**k'em).
All of this I can agree with.

Every once in awhile "N" does surprise me, it hasn't happened much over the last 30+ years, but it does happen. I can't really say why they won't use this translation, but I just know they never will. I see them actually translating the game themselves, before they EVER use someone else's efforts. "N" is just wired this way, as most of the problems they current face is just due to out right stubbornness in regards to industry ideas and concepts.
I agree that they probably never will release it.  They should, and they should probably also use what is being offered to them for free.  They want to do things their way, and it works for some things, but they need to learn very quickly to be a bit more open minded.  The last 2 consoles they have released have had a very rough start, and if they gave the fans what they are asking for it might help them out.  The fans are the ones that keep them in the video game business.  As for your last paragraph, I think that kinda goes with what I am saying here.  They want to have total control of it, and if they stick to that they may find they no longer matter.

Back