Nintendo Wii U

Is there a possibility to configure which games are shown in the quickstart menu ? We are two heavy and two light users, so depending on the "schedule" ones games are getting kicked off the menu rather quickly.

I've employed Wii Party U at a couple of evenning get togethers and it works nice. It's not something you play all the time or seriously, but rather something inclusive to do while enjoying good company. The gamepad-only games are good for some situations as well.
We tried those we could test (we have only one Wiimote) and most of them are nice distractions, but none of them made us wanting to go for a second round.

I really want me a WiiU now.
 You can buy refurbished ones from nintendo for 200 USD.
If one is more interested in utilizing digital game distribution than in buying discs, I recommend buying a premium version which can still be registered for the premium program - while Nintendo surely does not pour money onto one, its still a nice thing getting some bucks out of it.

btw. Till the 10th of July "Brain Age..." can be downloaded for free

I find it interesting that so many people dislike the Battle mode on the new Mario Kart, I actually love it!

I have always had problems finding people to play battle with me in the prior versions of Mario Kart, they now have 12 computers who can play against you.

They also have Toad Turnpike as a battle level (which is the best level ever IMHO)

After buying my Wii-U I really want a 3DS... mainly because I want Monster Hunter 4... That game series has made me buy a bunch of differing consoles, and never regretted it once.

Anyone else watch the E3 Play event from Nintendo? I found it hilarious and awesome.  

I was not interested in Skylanders or Disney Infinity, because I couldn't justify paying money for a figurine that acts just like a DLC download would (essentially), but now with Amiibo it is a lot more appealing to me... I just hope they release some Amiibo vehicles for Mario Kart, as I want to upgrade the cars a bit more.

Anywho, that's my two cents for today.

-Xaeo

I find it interesting that so many people dislike the Battle mode on the new Mario Kart, I actually love it!

I have always had problems finding people to play battle with me in the prior versions of Mario Kart, they now have 12 computers who can play against you.

They also have Toad Turnpike as a battle level (which is the best level ever IMHO)
For me, I guess I just like for battle mode to be a way for me to duke it out with my friends.  I don't like having these very large courses where it takes forever to find each other... and I don't want other computer controlled players interfering in a match that is only intended for me and my friends.  However, I think it would be nice to have both options.  Give us the large courses as they have now with computer opponents, and also just a few battle-mode specific arenas to satisfy those of us who like the old-style.

But I agree with you.  Of all of the courses in MK8, Toad's Turnpike is probably my favorite of the battle courses.

I like the WiiU, and I'm really enjoying Mario Kart 8 (even though I don't like the new battle mode).  However, I spend a LOT more time on the 3DS.  The new 3DS Zelda is probably my all-time favorite Zelda now.  I've wanted another game like LttP on the SNES, and LBW totally surpassed my expectations.  I fully agree with Gamespot for giving it the 2013 game of the year award.

While I like the 3D games, I still prefer the old-school side-scrollers and top-down view Nintendo games.  I'm seriously considering the new Kirby and Yoshi on the 3DS.

Also, anyone have the NES Remix games on the WiiU?  As someone who likes the classic Nintendo games, is this something you would recommend?  And if so, which of the two would you recommend?
I have said much of this myself.  I prefer the classic style of gaming, and for Super Mario Bros it is side scrollers for me, and Zelda is best top down, imo.  I still haven't had time to play the latest Zelda.  I haven't touched my Wii U for a long time for the same reason.  When I do return to it I will be purchasing NES Remix 2, and possibly the first.  I want 2 over 1 because of Super Luigi Bros.

Finished WindWakerHD yesterday, and currently trying to figure out why so many people seem to think its a really good game (?). Who had this awfull idea with putting players into a world that consist to 95% of boring water (probably its more landmass, but it felt like it), that you have to sail sort of realisticly by depending on wind direction ? Or the game mechanic of the "songs" that cater no real purpose, except the phase where you don't have the "super sail". And there is a lot more to complain about (not one really interesting dungeon, the ever so standard story that does not get better if more cliches are poured into it, etc.), but I don't really have any interest in wasting more time on that game

The first Zelda game I played, where I have not the slightest interest in playing it again.

so many people seem to think its a really good game (?).
Nobody thought it was a good game when it came out on the gamecube, but hey, the expectations are SO LOW these days that it's become an instant classic when re-released. It's the best time ever to bring the turd games out again ! 

Or the game mechanic of the "songs" that cater no real purpose, except the phase where you don't have the "super sail".
To be fair... the songs actually were more "useful" in the original as you couldn't get the super sail. But it got tedius changing the wind direction each time and so that is why they tried to streamline things by adding the super sail, even tough it does make some of the songs redundant.

And it's not the best Zelda, but most people avoided it because they didn't like the graphics style... I wouldn't say it's a bad game overall but it certainly feels like it just cops out near the end... less so in the remake.

I've not even tried the battle mode yet, but I too love that course.

I will find out my username on Wii U and add you guys for some battling then :)

why so many people seem to think its a really good game (?). 

The first Zelda game I played, where I have not the slightest interest in playing it again.
Yeah, WW is my least favorite game in the entire franchise. Number 2 may be worse, but I only played that one once, and that was when it was first released. So WW has always held the title of "worse" for me.

The game looked good, but that was it. A good friend of mine bought it shortly after I did, because he loved the way the game looked, and by midway through the game, he called it quits. I finished it, but I had to force myself. I completely agree this game was terrible, and I've never understood anyone actually liking it past the graphics. 

Chris

I actually liked WindWaker. It was far too easy though (every Zelda since has suffered from this tbh) and not enough dungeons, but it's far from the worst Zelda;  Twilight Princess fits that bill for me. It was a world devoid of life or anything remotely interesting and playing as the wolf made it even less so.

But then, I love Majora's Mask - the Zelda game that most people love or hate with a passion.

And the Water Temple was piss easy - I really don't get why people moan about that one...

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually liked WindWaker. It was far too easy though (every Zelda since has suffered from this tbh) and not enough dungeons, but it's far from the worst Zelda;  Twilight Princess fits that bill for me. It was a world devoid of life or anything remotely interesting and playing as the wolf made it even less so.

But then, I love Majora's Mask - the Zelda game that most people love or hate with a passion.

And the Water Temple was piss easy - I really don't get why people moan about that one...
It's actually funny, but Majora's Mask is the only Zelda game I've never finished. I agree that for most it's either a love/hate kind of game for the masses, but for me, I actually loved it, and hated it.

What made it one of the most creative games I've ever played, also made it a pain in the ass and that was the time element. I absolutely loath games where I have to get something done in a specific time. But for as much as I hated that element, I loved how it was implemented. 

I still want to finish it some day as I really loved a lot of what I experienced before I quit. 

As far as WW goes, I've always recommended that players try it for themselves, as it really is one of the most artistic games around, but it didn't feel like a complete game to me. It was like Zelda "Lite" or something. The dungeons lacked, and the sea travel seemed to just be boring filler to pad the game and make something out of nothing. It really seemed rushed to market. I believe they have stated there where more dungeons in the works, but they ran out of time.

My desire for the ultimate Zelda experience would be land segments where you travel by horse or train depending on the terrain. Then flying segments when you need to get to far off out of reach areas, and finally sea segments. Every game "N" has made in recent years, is one or the other, but a true open world game should have them ALL. When they include just sailing, or horse back, or flying(or even train), it gets boring very quickly. I'm hoping the new one will deliver on all fronts, but I'm not holding my breath.

Chris

I've also never gotten far at all in Majoras Mask. maybe 2hrs in if I'm feeling generous. And it was completely because of the time element. Maybe if it was done in another game I'd appreciate it, but I've come to love spending my time in Hyrule, and exploring every nook and cranny I can find. Though I'd like to finish it someday; hopefully it gets a 3DS rerelease as much as I'm tired of those.

I've also never gotten far at all in Majoras Mask. maybe 2hrs in if I'm feeling generous. And it was completely because of the time element. Maybe if it was done in another game I'd appreciate it, but I've come to love spending my time in Hyrule, and exploring every nook and cranny I can find. Though I'd like to finish it someday; hopefully it gets a 3DS rerelease as much as I'm tired of those.
I even had a great strategy guide for the game, so I new what I had to do when and where, and it was still became unbearable. I still want to finish it some day, but unless they remaster it on the 3DS or WiiU, I doubt I ever will, but who knows?

Chris

I really hoped that Nintendo would mention a 3D Majora's Mask remake for 3DS (a la Ocarina Of Time) at E3. Sadly my hopes were dashed. :( Seems like a no-brainer to me, but who knows what Nintendo is thinking nowadays! :p

I played MM up to the final battle by myself, then started collecting everything I had missed using a guide. Finding all those time-sensitive tasks would've taken forever of surveillance. In the end I did finish it.

In a way, the first mega man zero game was very similar. To actually get any new gear in that game you need to rush through levels at an insane pace the first time around. After you've done that and beat the boss with almost no damage, gotten a good enough rank to deserve the boss's weapon you return to the level to find all the hidden stuff.

Given how I normally play (search and try everything) these games were somewhat difficult to get into, but in the end I like them both :)

Or the game mechanic of the "songs" that cater no real purpose, except the phase where you don't have the "super sail".
To be fair... the songs actually were more "useful" in the original as you couldn't get the super sail. But it got tedius changing the wind direction each time and so that is why they tried to streamline things by adding the super sail, even tough it does make some of the songs redundant.

And it's not the best Zelda, but most people avoided it because they didn't like the graphics style... I wouldn't say it's a bad game overall but it certainly feels like it just cops out near the end... less so in the remake.
Ah, ok did not know that - still it feels like they had a gameplay idea that only fit the game partially (sailing), but needed to justifiy its existence by adding it in other place.

But what really tipped the scale for me, was the last bossfight: In WW HD 90% of the time, one enemy was always there, the camera. Which made some boss fights a lot "harder" (and regular fights more annoying) than they would have been if one always had a good view on whats happening. Then there was Ganondorf itself, where I had no clue at all on how to defeat him in the first place, it was a lengthy trial and error process (as I had to get back to the water world to collect hearts n'stuff again). And then halfway through you have a third oppenent, an ally, shooting arrows at the player most of the time in totally impractical angles, often as not just hiting the player => argh!

The time pressure in MM was the worst design decision ever.

Majora's Mask was the only Zelda game I started playing and never finished.

I hate time pressure and love free roaming, the one in Fallout 1 was ok, because it were months  (ingame) and you were able to buy them caravans with water instead of bringing them the water chip if you weren't fast enough. After that, there wasn't any time pressure in the game anyway.

I think the Z:MM timescale and the constant feeling of impending doom was great. It spurred you into going everywehere and looking everywhere all the time. You'd often see something happening at a particular time, but be on your travels to solve a different problem. In some game it would mean that stuff was happening and you'd miss it if you weren;t in the right place at the right time - not in MM. You'd just go back to the same place after the restart, but perhaps armed with a new tool or some extra knowledge. MM tells the whole story from the start, but you aren't able to read it all. As I said before, I love it.

The time pressure in MM was the worst design decision ever.

Majora's Mask was the only Zelda game I started playing and never finished.
This was my experience as well^

I think the Z:MM timescale and the constant feeling of impending doom was great. It spurred you into going everywehere and looking everywhere all the time. You'd often see something happening at a particular time, but be on your travels to solve a different problem. In some game it would mean that stuff was happening and you'd miss it if you weren;t in the right place at the right time - not in MM. You'd just go back to the same place after the restart, but perhaps armed with a new tool or some extra knowledge. MM tells the whole story from the start, but you aren't able to read it all. As I said before, I love it.
Now, on the other hand I also found this to be true^ This is one of the greatest ideas to ever be presented in gaming.

Like I said before, this game was LOVE/HATE for me all the way. What made the game GREAT, also made it UNBEARABLE at times. In the end, I think my hate of the "time" pressure won out over the unique over all gaming experience, but I've never ragged on the game because of it. I played enough of it, to see how well thought out and creative the whole game was, and the "time" was key to everything, but it also beat me down mentally :p   

Since I've never finished the complete game, I've never been able to officially give it a rating, but I still have to give "N" their props for what they achieved with this title. Since the N64 got 2 Zelda games, it was nice to see MM be so different to OOT.

Phantom Hourglass on the DS returned to the "time" mechanic, and I almost didn't finish that game because of it, but it was confined to the time dungeons only, so I was able to make it through. Overall I enjoyed the game, but it lacked MM details in the end, but being more basic allowed me to finish it, so maybe I'll return to MM some day, but for now, I'm still gun shy from my first try.

Chris

Back