Nintendo Wii U

Although the article is bollocks, he is right in one point:

People don't want Nintendos hardware but the games.

If you could play their games on other hardware (like Playstation) they wouldn't sell much of their cheesy and expensive gimmicks.

3DS:

Putting the d-pad below the analogue stick is bad,

having to add another analogue-stick via clunky "expansion" is bad,

screen resolution is horrible and really outdated from the beginning.

The WiiU at least does some things right they screwed up with the Wii.

I don't know if the WiiU pro controller is good, but it's really expensive as always.

Again the d-pad under the analogue-stick thing... they seem to stick to it and I honestly don't understand why.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer Nintendo over Sony and MS, but they really should change some of their politics if they want to make more than games in the future, otherwise the Zelda and Mario games will end up natively on Android or PS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if the WiiU pro controller is good, but it's really expensive as always.
The controller is fine whats really annoying is that not every game supports it ! I bought Lego Batman 2 for my kids and its the second time, they don't play in coop mode. The first time was just because Lego City Undercover does not support multiplayer. But this time, its almost impossible to play it in coop, no pro controller support means, you have to take a wiimote, but as its not possible to move the "target circle" around with it, every time the second characters needs to do more than just beating up someone/thing, it gets complicated.

The controller is fine whats really annoying is that not every game supports it !
Argh... this annoyed me on the Wii already. "Donkey Kong Country Returns" doesn't support the GameCube controller and the button placement doesn't work well with the "Kirby Classics Collection", they should have just exchanged A and B in their emulator there. Although "Mario Kart Wii" does support it, using items is on L (dafuq?).

What has happened? Nintendo established the average controllers (mostly for jump'n'runs) we have today and now they are treating it secondary. -.-°

It's like Nintendo is directed by some hipsters now that constantly say "Hey, I've got an idea, let's do it totally different, just for the sake of it!".

Last edited by a moderator:
3DS: Putting the d-pad below the analogue stick is bad, having to add another analogue-stick via clunky "expansion" is bad, screen resolution is horrible and really outdated from the beginning.
The DS was also super-outdated when it came out as well (and certainly far less powerful than the PSP), it did not prevent it from becoming their most successful portable console.

People buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games. They make more money this way, because they sell outdated hardware above cost, and they sell millions of Nintendo games and have total control on the flow of money from A to Z. 

I'd be more worried about people not interested to play new Mario/Zelda games in the future. I'm not sure if everyone can still expect to play another 20 years of it, regardless if it's new users or not. It would not be the first time that something is cool at some point, and completely frown upon later on. 

ill do 20 years of zelda games in a month. bring it on. mario, i dont know. finishing the NSMB games with 300 lives left at the end kind of takes the fun out of it

People don't want Nintendos hardware but the games.
Nintendo has been the only console and mainstream handheld hardware manufacturer I have purchased from for the last couple of generations.  Yes, I like the games, but if I am going for a console I usually look to them first.   Their games are really what sells the consoles, and they probably know that.  They may want to avoid ending up like Atari and Sega by sticking with their own hardware, and I would rather them make their own than have the series from them I love get watered down or end.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer Nintendo over Sony and MS, but they really should change some of their politics if they want to make more than games in the future, otherwise the Zelda and Mario games will end up natively on Android or PS.
I fully agree.

Well, I want to play on Nintendo Hardware.

Why?

For me it's the best (controller wise).

I love the dual screen concept.

Makes Gaming so much better I think.

And the D-Pad discussion?

If not placing it under the left Stick, where else would you place it?

I have a PS1 and didn't buy further PS because they have the two sticks below the buttons/D-Pad.

The WiiU Pro controller feels so good for me with both Sticks on the upper position.

In agree that I hesitate buying games for the 3DS because the Resolution is horrible.

Also D-Pad isn't that comfortable but that doesn't matter much.

Most games use the Nub.

I wish they would go back to using large Dpads, like on their earlier consoles.  The ones on Game Boy and NES are almost the same size.  At least they went back to a full size Dpad on the Wii U gamepad.

I wish they would go back to using large Dpads, like on their earlier consoles.  The ones on Game Boy and NES are almost the same size.  At least they went back to a full size Dpad on the Wii U gamepad.
Imho they should finally start using D-Pad discs like Sega, Dragonbox and Saitek did/does.

I like  (full size) Nintendo Dpad, and was a bit concerned about the one used on the Pandora before I got it, even though everyone said it was great.  I have a Saitek controller I haven't used in a while and may compare the three.  The Dpad cross has only ever been a problem for me when using one game boy program that needs diagonals for certain input, however it works fine for me for games.

I love the dual screen concept. Makes Gaming so much better I think.
I'm still not convinced by this. I haven't seen many games using it well - most of them show inventory or a mini map and that's it. It's pretty useless most of the time... :p
For me that's exactly what I like so much.

No need to pause the game only to look at the map (mini map in the corner of the main screen is not the same).

Also having your status bar there is useful as you can get more information than on the big screen alone.

Switching weapons on the go? Great.

Darksiders 2 and Batman Arkham Origins are two games that aren't made for Gamepad but use it in a great way .

Not too much but in a very useful way.

(At least for me).

Yeah I like the way Batman uses the gamepad screen.

Still glad I got the Wii U, just need to put more time into playing on it :)

Some fun looking games coming out that I want to play on it;

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Yoshi's Woolly World

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Yeah, those cars don't look look out of place at all :p I guess it's cool "N" is putting a licensed vendor in there games, but was this free on both sides? Free placement for "N" and free advertising for Mercedes? And is the DLC free? I can't really see anyone paying for Mercedes in MK. There are lot cooler car companies in the world, but I guess this is better than nothing.

Chris

Yeah, those cars don't look look out of place at all :p I guess it's cool "N" is putting a licensed vendor in there games, but was this free on both sides? Free placement for "N" and free advertising for Mercedes? And is the DLC free? I can't really see anyone paying for Mercedes in MK. There are lot cooler car companies in the world, but I guess this is better than nothing.

Chris
Did you see this ad? It goes both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5tjw-MCE6Kg?feature=oembed

I love the dual screen concept. Makes Gaming so much better I think.
 I'm still not convinced by this. I haven't seen many games using it well - most of them show inventory or a mini map and that's it. It's pretty useless most of the time... :p
Altough I consider the game itself "crap", Lego Batman 2 on the WiiU offers the option for two screen play, so players don't need to share the TV screen.

Everything Jumpman said I was thinking.

Chris
Did you see this ad? It goes both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5tjw-MCE6Kg?feature=oembed
Some other games do this as well, and if done properly it makes competitive play much better than it could be even with 2 TVs.

Back