Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

As the Switch isnt a Everyday Carry Handheld for me, because i have now this EBOOK Reader and the Pandora /Pyra in Twoo Months (TM) , i dotnt realy care about the Size of my Switch, but if this Switch Mini got some Advances like a better Batterie, a bit more Power etc, i think i would get me a new one..

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for, no removable controls, a proper D-Pad, and true portability. At sub $200, I might be there day one, so long as my funds are right when the time comes. I'm expecting an announcement for this soon, as I'm thinking this will release in September with Link's Awakening, or if not, it should be offered then(or with Pokemon at the latest). You want to get it on shelves leading up to the holiday, and you want kids/consumers to have an interest before then. They could offer it closer to December, but that would be silly unless they expect demand to out pace production, but that's unlikely for a revision.

I expect many standard NS owners to double dip, just to get the newer smaller option, as I've heard many say they would rather have a smaller more compact unit, and the D-Pad is on everyones want list. LOL

Chris
[doublepost=1560956465,1560955513][/doublepost]
I would prefer a bigger version with more power.

The rumors have a more powerful unit on the coming soon list, but they need a smaller cheaper unit NOW, to fill the void left by the 2DS/3DS no longer being offered. Of course there are still tons at retail, but since there are no new 3DS games announced, that's "N" kiss of death. A more powerful NS at this point will be for no other reason than to keep the NS relevant once the PS5/TWO come to market in 2020. So don't expect that unit until then, or maybe even after if they want to offer the most bang for your buck.

If they offered a more powerful system now, what would be the point? It wouldn't even reach the level of the current gen systems, and would probably cost more, so I don't see that doing well. Especially when the NS multiplat titles are lesser already, why pay more now, when your still going to have lesser games to current gen offerings.Now of course, this is going to be the same problem next gen, but at least given enough time, they may get closer to making the next gen not look so far apart. You also need 1st party games to take advantage, to show the reason to buy, like they did with the "New" 3DS's, so until Metroid 4 or Bayonetta 3 are coming soon, I don't expect a more powerful NS to be announced. But based on all rumors, it is happening, and I think it will for the reasons stated, they need to stay as close as possible to Sony/MS, so they can continue to get 3rd party support.

Chris

Last edited:
I don't like the Switch hardware very much. Was never convinced of the concept in the first place, and only bought one a couple of months ago when Mario Maker was announced (also because of the back catalog of course). I found my doubts about the hardware confirmed. IMO the hybrid concept makes it poor both as a portable as well as stationary console.

As a portable, it is too heavy, awkward to hold, and the screen is basically unusable during daytime (glossy and too dark, even at full brightness).

Docked, the tiny fan often kicks into high gear to cope with the increased load due to the higher resolution. The twitchy fan control makes this more annoying (e.g. it spins down immediately when you change to a map screen in Mario or Zelda, and then right back up when you return to the game). With a bigger stationary console, they could have implemented better cooling.

The Joycons are just awkward to use, both attached and detached. Mostly because of the rectangular shape and the fact that the buttons are aligned directly under the sticks. Switching between the stick and buttons with your thumb is awkward, you basically have to move your hand. When separated as two controllers, they are a complete joke. Battery life is not great either (about three hours). On top of that, they are really expensive for some reason (€80 SRP), even more expensive than the pro controller.

Speaking of which, the pro controller is not great either. The d-pad is very imprecise, very often registering up when you hit left or right. The (-) button (which you need all the time) is hard to reach with your left thumb, while the screenshot button (wtf is there even a dedicated button?) is easy to reach. I have already taken dozens of screenshorts accidentally. The left stick also started making metallic spring noises after some weeks.

The games are great though and make up for the hardware shortcomings, but not a day goes by where I'm not annoyed by them.

I'd actually prefer a non portable version of the switch.

Edit: though I'd qualify my statement - I'd prefer a cheaper version with no screen and just a standard controller, and ideally with enough passive cooling to not require a fan. Perhaps there are options for modding one with a broken screen...

Last edited:
I don't like the Switch hardware very much. Was never convinced of the concept in the first place, and only bought one a couple of months ago when Mario Maker was announced (also because of the back catalog of course). I found my doubts about the hardware confirmed. IMO the hybrid concept makes it poor both as a portable as well as stationary console.

As a portable, it is too heavy, awkward to hold, and the screen is basically unusable during daytime (glossy and too dark, even at full brightness).

Docked, the tiny fan often kicks into high gear to cope with the increased load due to the higher resolution. The twitchy fan control makes this more annoying (e.g. it spins down immediately when you change to a map screen in Mario or Zelda, and then right back up when you return to the game). With a bigger stationary console, they could have implemented better cooling.

The Joycons are just awkward to use, both attached and detached. Mostly because of the rectangular shape and the fact that the buttons are aligned directly under the sticks. Switching between the stick and buttons with your thumb is awkward, you basically have to move your hand. When separated as two controllers, they are a complete joke. Battery life is not great either (about three hours). On top of that, they are really expensive for some reason (€80 SRP), even more expensive than the pro controller.

Speaking of which, the pro controller is not great either. The d-pad is very imprecise, very often registering up when you hit left or right. The (-) button (which you need all the time) is hard to reach with your left thumb, while the screenshot button (wtf is there even a dedicated button?) is easy to reach. I have already taken dozens of screenshorts accidentally. The left stick also started making metallic spring noises after some weeks.

The games are great though and make up for the hardware shortcomings, but not a day goes by where I'm not annoyed by them.

With the exception of what I've quoted below, I totally disagree with everything you have just said.
The games are great though

Plus, I personally have never had all the negative experiences that you have encountered (especially your supposed 'accidental pressing of the screenshot button', which imo, is flat enough to NOT get in the way when pressing the down button) and IMHO, Nintendo Switch is the closest to perfection that any hardware manufacturer has ever gotten to making a console, even if the Nintendo Switch is actually more of a handheld console than a hybrid-home console.
TBH, I shouldn't have wasted my time reading your post and should have just said...tl;dr :)

EDIT:

Nintendo Switch is the best! :D

ILTjZsv.jpg

Last edited:
I've gotta agree about the Joycons ergonomics. They're a smelly compromise. I understand the formfactor, but they're not supposed to be used with human hands.

I'm in the process of updating my games list again and putting them in 'my' alphabetical order...but here's a semi old list :)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Carnival Games
Dead Cells
Just Dance 2017
Just Dance 2018
Just Dance 2019
Stern Pinball Arcade
Super Mario Odyssey
Syberia 1
Syberia 2
Doom
3D Mini Golf
Vegas Party
Disgea 1
Big Bash Boom
Attack on Titan 2
L.A. Noir
Rocket League
Sonic Mania Plus
Sonic Forces
Penny Punching Princess
MotoGP 18
RiME
LEGO Harry Potter Collection
LEGO Worlds
LEGO Ninjago
LEGO City Undercover
NBA 2K19
Ben 10
Gear.Club
The Coma Recut
Marvel Super Heroes 2
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Snipperclips
Darkest Dungeon
Chicken Range
Touhou Kobuto Burst Battle
Lumo
Poi Explorer
Portal Knights
Wolfenstein II
FIFA 18
Battle Crashers
Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch edition
Monster Jam
Scribblenauts Showdown
Cars 3: Driven
Aqua Moto Racing Utopia
Flashback
The Flame in The Flood
Mario Tennis Aces
MXGP3
Lost Sphear
Winning Post 8 ~ 2018
Dark Souls REMASTERED
NBA 2K18
NBA 2K Playgrounds 2
Victor Vran
88 Heroes: 99 Heroes edition
The Binding of Isaac
SNK Heroines
Rayman Legends
Sports Party
Shaq FU
Max: The Curse of The Brotherhood
Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap
Legendary Fishing
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
Urban Trial Playground
Monopoly
Slain: Back from Hell
Sine Mora EX
Has Been Heroes
Candle
Sushi Striker: The Way of The Sushido
Unbox Newbies
Fortnite
Runbow
WWE 2K18
The Count Lucanor
Brawlout
Fallen Legion: Rise of Glory
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Owlboy
Big Buck Hunter
Starling: Battle for Atlas
Trials Rising

@Nintendo Gotta-get-em-all-syndrome? :)

Got myself the pro controller today. Based on its weight, I'd say it's got a car battery inside. Now I wanna see, how it does - in ... Wasteland 2. :D

Yeah, if you look back to the start of this thread, I voiced my concerns about the issues you have had, as I just saw the NS as a jack of all trades, and a master of none(Wii U 2.0)! Having used my son's system on a pretty regular basis, I can say I agree with all you have stated currently as well. To this day, I'm still amazed it sold as well as it has, but I guess it was the right idea, at the right time but many people like me are waiting on a proper redesign that will hopefully address said issues. Which if they do offer a "mini", many of the issues should be fixed by default, as once things become mostly handheld, the issues of trying to be a dual device will be gone(or at least lean strongly to one side now). LOL

Chris

I have to say, the first 20-odd pages of this thread make for very entertaining reading.

I love the switch as it is. The games are fantastic and the hardware is excellent. I took mine on holiday last year to Scotland and it served me very well indeed for those evenings where it was absolutely p*ssing down.

Oh man, there was an article on Nintendo Life about Doug Bowser commenting that it would be a disservice to fans to release Animal Crossing in a rushed state, and 80% of the comments on the article were about Game Freak, the developers of Pokemon, for some reason. It's strange how fans only found tons of other problems with Pokemon Sword and Shield after it was announced that not every previous Pokemon would be in the game.

I'm with the one or two odd commenters who think the only reason Animal Crossing was delayed was to help fill out Nintendo's 2020 lineup.

Back