Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

Maybe not. Some games don't work on older versions of Android. I don't know if there are also hardware requirements for many games.

I still use an SGS 2 with android 4.2, haven't come across any game that wont work. although Nintendo could DRM to prevent other androids from playing their games...but that strikes me as very short sided.

I still use an SGS 2 with android 4.2, haven't come across any game that wont work. although Nintendo could DRM to prevent other androids from playing their games...but that strikes me as very short sided.
I tried to install a game a couple weeks ago on an older version of Android and couldn't install it because the version of Android was too old. I had to install it on a device with a smaller screen, and even then it was barely playable, so I uninstalled. It was the Star Trek game with Q, whichever one that is. I see no reason for things like this not to happen with Nintendo games for Android.

Try that game on your phone and let me know if it works. The one I had a problem with was one of theirs from around the same time (Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket). I guess it has 4.1.2...

What are your thoughts?
YES! Nintendo finally gets it!

One of the issues of Wii U was being confused with a mobile tablet device, which it wasn't. And also trying to keep up in in raw performance with PS and Xbox (which it couldn't).

Going with nVidia mobile hardware addresses both those problems. Now the device is fully mobile. And it's less focused in raw performance, instead offering mobility and flexibility.

I personally like it. If they manage to pull it off, I think it'll to be great.

What I really want to know is how they'll handle cooling it
Hopefully nVidia has ironed out the issues they had with their own Android tablet and can help Nintendo in that area. xD

I'm extremely enthusiastic about it. I love portable consoles.

If they manage to keep the size and battery life in reasonable territories, I'm sold. Not sure how it will turn out in terms of watts with a Tegra X but let's wait and see.

I can imagine a 720p screen on the handeld with a downclock and full throttle when docked to achieve better framerates/resolution on the TV.

Big plus: full attention from Nintendo in terms of games available. Due to it being the only handheld on the market (no more Sony), fair attention from the 3rd party as well.

I carry my 3DS pretty much everywhere with me, so if this is more of the same, but more powerful and a bit more besides, then I'll be a happy bunny.

Let's hope Nintendo don't disappoint.

If true could the base unit have extra features and more grunt than the portable gaming part? But then games would need to work on both the base unit and the portable device and be targeted accordingly. I don't see why Nintendo would essentially reduce their market to one console thus not having a simultaneous home system and portable device- unless there is some other monetization plan? If both devices have different specs then whats the benefit of connecting the two?

If true could the base unit have extra features and more grunt than the portable gaming part? But then games would need to work on both the base unit and the portable device and be targeted accordingly. I don't see why Nintendo would essentially reduce their market to one console thus not having a simultaneous home system and portable device- unless there is some other monetization plan? If both devices have different specs then whats the benefit of connecting the two?

Maybe simply having increased resolution and adding something like a fan to the base unit would be enough of a difference between docked/undocked.

Honestly, having a portable that you can dock is one of my favorite parts of the Pandora/Pyra, and is one of the reasons I bring it everywhere. Nintendo consoles are the only consoles I bother with these days, but I wasn't super interested in the NX beyond that. However, this news has my attention.

Less development costs, they talked about it 1 or 2 years ago when they released Smash Bros.
And they were not exactly successful on the home console.

Less development costs, they talked about it 1 or 2 years ago when they released Smash Bros.
And they were not exactly successful on the home console.
Yeah, maybe but then perhaps they are making some kind of a play for the lucrative mobile market whilst still maintaining their current ninty portable market. I guess this could justify having just one console.

Maybe simply having increased resolution and adding something like a fan to the base unit would be enough of a difference between docked/undocked.
I'd say only extra supply power (obviously) and extra cooling. That's all that's needed for non-stop gaming without being worried about battery draining or temperature throttling.

Having (paying) for processing power which is stuck in non-portable form is kinda counter-productive the device, IMO.

Well, Nvidia recently said they will announce the next Tegra SOC in August, then I hear that the Ninendo will announce the NX in September and it will use a Nvidia SOC in the handheld part.
Coincidence - I don't think so. I know dev kits are meant to have the X1, but watch that space. I wont be surprised if it actually uses the soon to be announced Tegra SOC

Nintendo just doesn't seem to get, that it's about the games and not about gimmicky hardware in the end, but maybe I'm wrong and they are focusing on great game design again at some point.
At least "A Link Between Worlds" seems to have gone into the right direction and I actually consider buying it in spite of my big backlog.

I grew up with the SNES but not one of their later consoles (or any later consoles at all) had nearly the same magic or to be honest any magic at all.
I'm playing SNES games that I missed back then because they were not available here or for some other reasons and of course the old ones to this day.

If Nintendo would make a console that is clearly dedicated to 2D games in high definition like a really advanced SNES with stuff comparable to
Bastion, Transistor, Apotheon, Limbo, Dust, Hotline Miami, PixelJunk Shooter, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Hammerwatch, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, Thomas Was Alone, Crimsonland, Steamworld Dig, Knytt Underground, Aquaria, etc...
and their oldies like A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart (the original), MegaMan 1-7 and X-X3, F-Zero, Terranigma, Illusion of Time, Seiken Densetsu 1-3, Lufia, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, etc... in 1920x1080 plus true successors of those in 2D, I'd probably be all over it.
Imho, Nintendo should have never gone 3D.
I know it probably is a silly dream... but I believe that this concept would work - it definitely would work for me.
Still would be the way to go imho since they can't compete with the XBone and the Pony Slaystation graphicswise anyway (which they seem to have accepted).

Nintendo should have never gone 3D ? Nintendo made these 3D games:
Mario 64
Zelda Ocarina
Mario Galaxy

Are you saying that gaming would be better off without these titles ?

A single console that gets all 1st party attention looks to me like it is the best way to focus on the games ! How can you ask that they focus on the games and say they don't get it with the NX ?

Considering what the market valued Pokemon Go at , before realizing Nintendo only owned a part of Niantic. If you were to follow where the cash is, Nintendo would only make mobile games.
Thank goodness they give us another option in the console space.

Back