Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

Now I'm jealous about your freetime. I've got maybe a dozen retail and I haven't even tried them all. /) And, I'm also looking for the next ones to buy - stupid me.

I'm buying mostly digital now.
It's a pain to carry all those games with me.
I'll only buy some collectors editions or some "big" Nintendo titles physically.

Right now I'm trying out Smite.
Somehow I begin to like those MOBAs. When I can play them with a controller they are fun.
Even though I like Smah Bros a lot more playing against humans is a different experience. (No don't mention online. It's crap for Smash. Sadly)

In the past year I've finished, like, 5 games total. Only one on the Switch.
Wait, Breath Of The Wild was released in 2017...
In the past two years I've finished, like, 5 games total. Only one on the Switch.

I prefer retail, since
- my internet connection is 3.5 Mbit/s
- when I'm through with it, I can sell it or exchange it or just give it away - at least as long as the platform ain't dead
- what I bought digitally with my Wii U, is no use to me on the Switch - damn you, Nintendo - and I learned my lesson/no merrit there

That last one is the reason I won't buy digital on console. I had a bunch of games on my 3DS when it was stolen. I got a new one and asked Nintendo how to transfer my games, all of which were associated with my account, to the new system. I was told I couldn't, games are locked to the hardware, not the account, and could not be recovered. "If you had a physical game in the slot and it was stolen, you wouldn't expect to get that one replaced" to which I responded "no, but when I leave the house with a physical game I take one cartridge, I don't carry my entire $300 library with me". Ticket closed, no response.
A few years later (yes, years later) I did get a response from someone telling me that if I sent them the police report they'd be able to do it, but by that time it was too late to file a police report (at the time I didn't feel the need to thinking it was 100% a waste of time (and at the time I would've been correct)) so there was still nothing to be done.

That last one is the reason I won't buy digital on console. I had a bunch of games on my 3DS when it was stolen. I got a new one and asked Nintendo how to transfer my games, all of which were associated with my account, to the new system. I was told I couldn't, games are locked to the hardware, not the account, and could not be recovered. "If you had a physical game in the slot and it was stolen, you wouldn't expect to get that one replaced" to which I responded "no, but when I leave the house with a physical game I take one cartridge, I don't carry my entire $300 library with me". Ticket closed, no response.
A few years later (yes, years later) I did get a response from someone telling me that if I sent them the police report they'd be able to do it, but by that time it was too late to file a police report (at the time I didn't feel the need to thinking it was 100% a waste of time (and at the time I would've been correct)) so there was still nothing to be done.
The only sensible thing to do is to turn to piracy which in this case would be illegal but ethical in my opinion.

I've only bought puzzle games on the eshop on my 3DS. My actual 3DS is one of the original ambassador series, and the 3d slider is mostly broken these days so I think the whole lcd cable might be on its last legs. I did that because they don't sell retail copies of anything I've bought. I'll be a shame to lose pullmo and its likes, but it's fair to say I've completed them as far as I'm ever going to already.

Well looks like I'll be getting a Switch someday... Not only because of this, but there are now enough gems on the system to warrant my interest. If the new iteration tickles my fancy, maybe... Probably will get a Switch near the end of it's life, or pick up a second hand one and refurbish it.
Or... If there is going to be a next gen Switch someday like the 3DS after the DS that is backwards compatible, I'll get that rather...
Still really excited to see the next iteration tho...

Am still a bit sad there isn't going to be anything that's backwards compatible with 3DS games.

If they make the next iteration of the Switch backwards compatible with 3DS games, I won't hesitate... Oh wait... Even if they did that, it probably wouldn't have 3D capabilities... Damn!

Or.... hehehe... The new iteration of Switch adds that feature - Switch 3D.... One can dream for the impossible right?

Have the top be a tablet like the current switch, and have a detachable lower half with second screen and controls, and 3DS cartridge slot to make the Switch both a pocketable clamshell with full backwards compatibility with 3DS games, and have the top convert into a thinner, lighter, more durable Normal Switch with almost no bezel and the power to play all Switch games natively at 1080p in handheld mode without scaling the games.

That's a dream system right there. It would be even Switchier than the current Switch.

But they said the new iteration will be dropping features... Soo the system I am dreaming of will probably never see the light of day.

Perhaps I should just mourn the passing of 3D, and be patient for the time we are all playing fully immersive VR on our lightweight portable systems.
Shouldn't be too long a wait.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Perhaps I should just mourn the passing of 3D, and be patient for the time we are all playing fully immersive VR on our lightweight portable systems.
Shouldn't be too long a wait.
I played Rez Infinite on my Daydream. It was a good gaming experience but the phone heats up a lot and battery life is not good.

I've been considering picking one up lately. Emulation on the switch is finally at the point where it makes it an interesting option, even if I'm not overly into many of the official games for the system. Dreamcast is actually playable (if not flawless) for many games.

Is the Switch friendly regarding emulation and all, or it works like the PSP that needs to be hacked first (with some specific firmware version or using bugs from some games) in order to run certain things ?

Specific hardware version and firmware version is needed, and some hacking is required. The only hardware needed is a jig that shorts out a couple pins on the joycon connector, which you can make yourself with a paperclip. This reddit post provides the basics and some links for further reading.

The rumor mill says nintendo is prepping two new switch models for later this year - a high-end "pro" version and a smaller, cheaper, handheld-only version. We've heard the cheaper version rumors before, but this is the first I've heard of an upgrade version as well.

Personally, I think a 4-5" version with a newer, more power-efficient SoC would be a good thing.

Back