Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

wouldn't x2 have been better?

Yes, but it probably came down to timing and or cost
[doublepost=1489638098,1489631133][/doublepost]The patent for the Nintendo Switch inc accessories.

Sheet 60 shows a VR goggle , the Switch slots into it.

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20160361640&IDKey=326BC736F89C&HomeUrl=http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%26Sect2=HITOFF%26p=1%26u=%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsearch-bool.html%26r=1%26f=G%26l=50%26co1=AND%26d=PG01%26s1=15%252F178984%26OS=15/178984%26RS=15/178984

Last edited:
To be honest, Nintendo might not be leading the patent war, but I can't really imagine a big console manufacturer or any tech giant without any vr related patents...

It doesn't at all means they will use it...

As a side note.

1) Nvidia were going to release the Shield Portable 2 with an X1 in it. They canceled it despite having built it and gone through the FCC filing. See below:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo..._id=Wrc3eseKkeEdJUYIDhPxyw==&fcc_id=VOB-P2523
https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=3263428

2) At about the same time , Nvidia pulled supply of the Tegra K1 to JXD who had just launched the S192 gaming tablet, which uses the Tegra K1. No one knew why. It has put JXD in a real bad spot. See below :http://www.gsmarena.com/jxd_s192_re...ed_by_nvidias_tegra_k1_chipset-blog-17904.php
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/jxd-s192/msg145114/#msg145114

3) The 2017 Shield TV , a product meant to spearhead and display Nvidia's latest Tegra SOCs, strangely launches with a Tegra X1 again.

Reading between the lines , I think it's clear what happned. I think Nvidia pulled a lot of things in an agreemnet with Nintendo after they won the Switch contract

All this negativity here, wow. That thing has its flaws like every device. I finally got one last weekend and I love it. I haven't bought a console since the wii and usually stick to pc/steam gaming.

The only downsides for me so far:
  • glossy screen (couldn't really play on a train ride when the sun was shining, need to find some anti reflection foil)
  • games and accessoires are very expensive (I am just too used to steam game prices)
From the initial selling numbers it's already a big success but whether that will be also be the case in the future certainly depends on Nintendo and the games that will be released.That said, the new Zelda looks and plays absolutely beautifully. I stopped with Zeldas at Twilight Princess because there didn't seem to be much progress anymore since OoT. Not only do I like the new direction of BotW, it's also amazing to me to play this on a mobile. Reignites my childhood experiences with Link's Awakening but this time with background lighting. :D

07-01%2B~%2BGIF%2B~%2BGame%2BBoy.gif

It might be a bit early to say so because I haven't fully beaten it yet (~40 shrines found). I think breath of the wild might just be the best game I have ever played.... by a lot. The game is truly a masterpiece, I liked it a whole lot at first, but after about 20ish hours in, I think I'm now in love. I don't think I have ever said this, but thank you nintendo, you guys knocked it out of the park.

The switch is pretty cool too I guess.

As Ive said from the beginning, I think the Nintendo Switch will do very well, and most of that will come as it's prowess as a handheld. And that certainly seems to be the case now that it's been released.

It's strange, becuase there has been this discussion about whther Nintendo would launch a replacement for the 3DS depending on if the Switch failed. But to be honest , it's the exact opposite. It's clear to me that the Switch will more than liekly succeed as a handheld, and if it does fail in any way, it will be as a home console . I think although unlikely for a number of reasons, that there is more chance that Nintendo could end up launching a home console because the Switch failed as a home console. Again very unlikely that would actually happen especially now Nintedno have gone down the road of merging home/handheld development. But the point I'm making is that it is more or less concreted to replace the 3DS , but as a replacement for a home console em not so much, at that it's mediocre at best . But its a fused merger of the two, only the handheld side needs to do well for it to be a success, and that is something Nintendo knew when they went down this path. As long as one aspect of the Switch does well, there will be enough sales to entice developers.

Last edited:
The switch is in a similarly awkward design space that the ipad was in when it first came out. People said the ipad was going to cut into their ipod touch and macbook air sales because at the time it appeared as a mashup of the two. I think to some degree it did, but it became it's own line which leaned fairly heavily on the same/similar library of the ipod (IOS) rather than OSX

So here, the switch is similar power level to their wiiU and I could see a lot of ports of wiiU software being republished for the switch. The fact there is no natural backward compatibility is kind of a bummer, but it's still early days, I think the full strategy of nintendo will come clear in time. I do think in time it will directly replace their home console line, but it might end up being a new parallel design space similar to that of the ipad.

Point to consider, nintendo hasn't been bleeding edge in regards to console power for quite some time, most of their consoles, home and mobile have fallen behind in terms of power and rather focused primarily on ease of use, polished, and family friendly content. Think about apple's arguments on their focus.and you might see more similarities.

The replacement for the DS line is a interesting idea though, and one I'm not quite sure will happen. When I think DS I think gameboy line, I thought gameboy when it became the advance, and when the advance became the DS. I don't see the switch as a gameboy even though it has a fully handheld mode. I kind of see the switch in handheld mode just as a better wiiU gamepad. That's just my observation, I could be totally off on that, it could be set to absorb either or possibly even merge both lines..

Last edited:
. . . . until you realise, they tend to degrade really fast.
And they tend to be really bad at direct sunnlight.

LCD & VFD ftw.
They are visible in every situation.

If some random company would release a locked down gaming tablet like that with 1 (!) noticable game, people would just laugh and turn away, which would be the right thing to do.

Also there are lots of Notizable Games in the Near Future (Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, Mario Oddise, Xenoblade 2, ), and its my chance to play Skyrim..
On my Switch there is now: Zelda, Bomberman, Binding of Issac, Fast RMX, and 2 NEO GEO Games, and Blastermaster..
There arent much games at the moment, but still Zelda is a realy awesome time eather..

Here's a great video on 3rd party support, or lack thereof depending on one's perspective I suppose. LOL

Chris

Last edited:
A 12000mAh battery case for the Ninitendo Switch is being crowdfunded that is said to provide 12 hours battery life. Seems to be going well

Back