Nintendo Revolution Specs Have Been Released

I don't see what is so "revolutionary" about the revolution. The controller? So what you can flail your arms around while playing it looking like a total 'tard. Sony Or Microsoft can release a gimmick controller for their systems too. It is likely that they know they couldn't keep up with the others technologically so they are taking another approach. The Rev may not be the most powerful but it will be the cheapest. It will do well in the low end market, cheap consoles sell.

Me I am not interested. I have a Sony Bravia 32" HDTV and the X360 looks too good at 1:1 with the VGA cable. I would have a real hard time going back to scaled up low-res eww. The rev is like a Gamecube 1.5 ;)

PokeParadox posted on Mar 30 2006 at 10:34 AM said:
It's funny... IGN themselves say "Don't judge based on the clock rate alone" but then go on to say that it's power only lies in between the GCN and the XBOX.
IMO seeing as it is again running a PowerPC based CPU, I reckon that it will be at least as powerful as the Xbox and up to a third moreso.

EDIT: I guess they're just being informationally cautious...

I wouldn't normally quote myself but hey.

The Rev WILL be better than an XBOX... As my quoted point illustrates, IGN were saying not to read into the clock rate... and then basically did what they told you not to do.

The original XBOX runs at 733MHz(INTEL). The Rev is reported to be running at 729MHz(PPC)

Like I said you can bump the related performance of the Rev up by a third at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel: as stated, the current Gamecube is equal/above Xbox level graphics. x86 MHz does not equal PPC MHz. This is pretty much fact. Another fact is that nobody knows how much the revolution will be capable of graphics wise, but its obviously going to be more than the current gen Xbox/Gamecube.

what other hardware was the xbox,ps2,cube running to help with the visuals?? I know my cube has an ATI sticker in the lower right corner, I know ATI makes graphic cards, so does the cube have a graphics card as well as its regular processors and does the XBOX and PS2 have comparable cards??

as far as Xbox is concerned, it sounds better on paper than it is. What holds the Xbox back is that its based on aging x86 architecture.
The gamecube was just a well rounded machine with CPU and PPU that work well together. Most state it as being very easy to develop for. That can go a long way.

well i have all 3 systems and apparently i either don't have the games or just don't pay much attention, but I don't see any real difference between the 3, even when they did a side by side comparison of Resident Evil 4 between the Cube and PS2 version on G4, the only difference was the colors.

I have more PS2 games, with Gamecube coming next and Xbox last, i do not believe in buying the same game for different systems, so I cannot compare with my own experience, i just don't really see it, though i will say that Resident Evil 1 on the cube is fantastic.

It looks to me that when the Rev hits the market, game developers would have an easy time putting out games for it. Any game that they had been working on for the GC could easily be converted to Rev. You might get a lot of GC games at first. This may result in more launch titles but might not use the controller for anything right away but for point and click. :blink: I mean for normal play.

Angel posted on Mar 30 2006 at 03:46 PM said:
...even when they did a side by side comparison of Resident Evil 4 between the Cube and PS2 version on G4,  the only difference was the colors.

There is a pretty big difference, when played side by side. I have a 50" widescreen which allows two inputs split screen at once. Ive been playing the Cube RE4 for the last few weeks, and my brother rented it for PS2. There are noticable difference in some areas, such as the amount of branches on the trees, fog effects, amount of density of bushes, and clarity of backgrounds from a distance. I will say that these are all minor things, and of course in no way affect the fun of the game. It was just a comparison we did out of curiosity. The only thing i -really- noticed off hand anyway were the branches. It took playing them side by side at the same time on the same tv to notice the other differences. Cube wins for graphics, PS2 wins for the tiny bit of extras they threw in.

Edit: for spelling mistakes. Im sure there are more :D

DaveC posted on Mar 30 2006 at 11:53 AM said:
Me I am not interested. I have a Sony Bravia 32" HDTV and the X360 looks too good at 1:1 with the VGA cable. I would have a real hard time going back to scaled up low-res eww. The rev is like a Gamecube 1.5 ;)

WE as tech savvy gamers are not their main target any more. They won't make the decision of not supporting HD if they care what we think of their spec. Ninty simply sees there're more opportunities out there rather than comfy teen to early 30s male market.

So, simple complaining about the specs for Revo is like complaining about Honda Civic not finishing 0-60 miles under 7 seconds. It's not made to impress you in any way. For the record, Civic sells 10 times more than 300z, and that's what Ninty is after.

so Nintendo's target audience is now the super nerdy that won't mind waving around a stupid stick like their retarded or 3-8 year old kids. There may be a market for that, thinking parents have the money, but 15-30 year olds have more. They have their own jobs and make their own money, from a paper route to McDonalds, to exec positions. The 15-30 demographic seems like a bit more of a snug place to me than, non gamers and kids.

Weeee i love these topics and since i have nothing better to do at work, i can respond every 5 minutes..woot.

skysnapper posted on Mar 30 2006 at 03:33 AM said:
Kind of dissapointing.. but hey graphics aren't everything.. felt the same about the DS and still do think the DS graphics are a bit rubbish.. but then again its the most fun i have had out of a system in years.
same exact way, but Nintendo know what they are doing, they are over 100 years old

Angel posted on Mar 30 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
easy creating of games is not always good, crash of '84 anyone?
If the inductry is going to face another crash, it will not be because of a 'retard wand', but because of endless, repetitive sequels of brain-dead FPS and sports games. What's wrong with combining physical interaction in a game controller? Why do you have to swallow conformity and stomp on any alternatives? Why do you judge harshly something that you never experienced first hand?

- Alex

Hopefully, Nintedo decides to "up" these specs sooner or later. I highly doubt it though. And like Iignotus said, "it's a souped-up Gamecube". Though it is cheaper, so that's kind of plus. Times change... ;)

Nintendo's target audiance is anyone who'll be interested really. The super nerdy kids are already tucked away in dark rooms in front of ridiculously super hi-spec PCs playing Ghost Recon or something.

The "wand" controller will either be the system's selling point or it will dissapear in a swirling wind leaving behind a more normal controller.... that or just make the old GC controller the default again.

I dont see the specs as a problem. The GC was a fine system on it's own and something more powerful may not stir everyone's loins instantly but it's still nothing to sneeze at. Honestly it'd be hard to actually make a bad looking game this generation on any of these systems some will simply look prettier than others.

grahf posted on Mar 30 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
Angel: as stated, the current Gamecube is equal/above Xbox level graphics. x86 MHz does not equal PPC MHz. This is pretty much fact. Another fact is that nobody knows how much the revolution will be capable of graphics wise, but its obviously going to be more than the current gen Xbox/Gamecube.

Actually the graphics chipset in the Xbox was pretty much better than the Gamecube. The Xbox was able to put out much more in the way of effects like normal mapping, bump mapping, per pixel lighting than the cube. Just look at Riddick, Doom III, Halo, And the latest Splinter cell which looked fantastic on the Xbox. When the cube version of Splinter cell came out it had all of the bump mapping effects stripped. Ubi-soft wouldn't have gone through all of the trouble to cut stuff out if the cube was as good or better. RE4 was very good on the cube but it could have been done just as well and have even more effects on the Xbox. Plus RE4 was done in letterbox effectively cutting the resolution by 1/3, that gave it alot more headroom. The CPU in the cube was better though.

Back