Nintendo 64 Emulation

sareks

Casual gamer
Hi, I wanted to share my experiences for N64 Emulation so far.

I have a Pandora 1GHz Edition. Feel free to respond, so we can help ppl that don't know much about it yet.

1) Mupen v. 1.5.r20110615.4 (Repo) - no 800×480 resolution, not sure how i save load states

2) Mupen v. r - 11/7/2011 (Apps) - 800×480 resolution, not sure how i save load states

either way, I can also start the Config files, but then nothing seems to move the cursor, nor the analog buttons, nor the d-pad. Is that normal?

Hope this helps newbies (like me), would appreciate supporting comments. Thanks

PS: If there are more N64 Emulators, please add them to this topic

PPS: What are recommended settings to run games more smoothly, autoframe skip-wise, overclock-wise? Is there an ingame menu, which button?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's that full-screen term again that you seem misuse all the time...

But that's beside the point, all versions Mupen64 can set to fill the entire screen.. You just need to set the resolution to a wide-screen resolution via the display config file.

Run the Mupen64plus Config (not the Launcher)

- Go to Options then Graphics Settings, this will launch the config file in a text editor.

This is the only n64 emulator I'm aware of.

There's that full-screen term again that you seem misuse all the time...

But that's beside the point, all versions Mupen64 can set to fill the entire screen.. You just need to set the resolution to a wide-screen resolution via the display config file.

This is the only n64 emulator I'm aware of.
I cannot edit the config file and the full screen term is what i mean "stretched to fill the whole screen", that you should know by now ;)

Run the Mupen64plus Config Icon, not the Launcher..

Go to Options, then Graphics Settings this will launch the config file in a text editor.

Change the Frame buffer resolution to 400x240 (better speed) or 800x480 (better looking).

Edit: Also looks like you need to change the "window width" from 640 to 800 under "Window Settings:"

Run the Mupen64plus Config Icon, not the Launcher..

Go to Options, then Graphics Settings this will launch the config file in a text editor.

Change the Frame buffer resolution to (400x240) Better speed or (800x480) better looking.

I can start the Config file, but then nothing seems to move the cursor, nor the analog buttons, nor the d-pad. Is that normal? Maybe I have the wrong version?

I can start the Config file, but then nothing seems to move the cursor, nor the analog buttons, nor the d-pad. Is that normal? Maybe I have the wrong version?

Normal the PND switches the Nubs to Joystick mode.. The touchscreen is your friend.

Normal the PND switches the Nubs to Joystick mode.. The touchscreen is your friend.
Thanks. Touchscreen pen helped. Now I need to check which version runs which game best, maybe this will help: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&key=0AkBB6e4g1lGtdGxzVjhfNnpiMXVfR3FoZWRndG5iQ3c&hl=en_GB&gid=0

I guess there's no ingame menu nor supported save states? I don't know much about the N64, but I guess it had something called save cards or so which are being emulated.

Thanks again for helping a newbie :)

Most N64 game Cartridges had an internal memory that kept the save information.. But some games used a special n64 memory card that plugged into the controller. Both I believed are emulated without issues.

Mupen64plus claims to have save states according to it's page.. the keys are just not bound or mentioned in the input config file. It may be intentional as the Pandora version may not support it.

Honestly I never use save states I find that it feels like cheating being able to save where you couldn't on the original system. I'm a purist, why I don't like seeing the games stretched widescreen when they weren't designed that way.

Most N64 games had an internal memory that kept the save information.. But some games used an special n64 memory card that plugged into the controller. Both I believed are emulated without issues.
So now it's to figure out which games run at which clock speed and at which frame rate... ummmm that'll be some work ;)

"Stretched to fill the screen" would most likely be referred to as stretch or scale screen.

Full-screen, I think usually refers to a game that is open, and you have an x in the corner to close it out, and it fills up the whole screen so that you don't see the desktop.

By the way, not sure if it matters for performance of emus but are you using minimenu or xcfe?

"Stretched to fill the screen" would most likely be referred to as stretch or scale screen.

Full-screen, I think usually refers to a game that is open, and you have an x in the corner to close it out, and it fills up the whole screen so that you don't see the desktop.

By the way, not sure if it matters for performance of emus but are you using minimenu or xcfe?
I am using minimenu

Hi, as control config I would like to use the D-Pad instead of the left nub for moving the character (e.g. Mario 64). What do I have to write / edit in the config file?

When the window covers the whole screen and borders are still visible, that is called "Maximized" mode.

Fullscreen mode means you DON'T have an X in the corner, or window borders.

When someone refers to an emulator displaying game content without black borders, that is called "stretched" mode.

(edited)

Back