Mednafen

sareks

Casual gamer
I don't know much about this emulator, just that it emulates different systems.

It also seems to have save / load states. Not sure if it has an ingame option menu nor 800×480 resolution option.

Maybe someone can comment on their experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no interface, just launch the emu you need, select the file to play, and enjoy ^_^

The documentation about hotkeys should be in the Pandora->Documentation menu.

I use it for Game Gear (AWESOME), and NES (needs overclock) emulation, and it just works !! ;)

I use it for neogeo pocket, wonderswan, gamegear, and virtualboy. There aren't really any good alternatives for those :p

All of the other systems have better alternative emulators.

GB: Gambatte

GBA: gpSP/VBA 1.7.2

Lynx: Handy

NES: Gpfce

PCE: Hugo

Ok, but did anyone of you manage to run Mednafen fullscreen pandora optimized?

If so, what key to press to get it that way?

The strange thing is, only some of the emulators work full screen. The NES and PCE ones don't but the GBC one does. And it took a bit of messing with the config file to get full screen mode. I had to copy edited versions of the launcher scripts to change the SDL size to full screen, then enable stretch for each system in mednafen-09x.cfg.

...strange things... for me them are all fullscreen by default... and I'm even unable to put them in window mode cause the "alt+enter" combination doesn't work as "alt" is used as a start key.

@apersonthinks: just to be sure, have you really a mednafen-gbc emulator ?! I have only mednafen-gb and mednafen-gba, are there other versions ?!

...strange things... for me them are all fullscreen by default... and I'm even unable to put them in window mode cause the "alt+enter" combination doesn't work as "alt" is used as a start key.

which version do you have, where did you download it?

The strange thing is, only some of the emulators work full screen. The NES and PCE ones don't but the GBC one does. And it took a bit of messing with the config file to get full screen mode. I had to copy edited versions of the launcher scripts to change the SDL size to full screen, then enable stretch for each system in mednafen-09x.cfg.
not sure how to do this exactly... still a newbie

@apersonthinks: just to be sure, have you really a mednafen-gbc emulator ?! I have only mednafen-gb and mednafen-gba, are there other versions ?!
I often consider gb and gbc to be the same thing.

...strange things... for me them are all fullscreen by default...

Fullscreen by default here too.

I'm using the current version from the repo and never changed anything.
And by full screen, I mean stretching the image to fill the entire screen, so no black borders exist.

And by full screen, I mean stretching the image to fill the entire screen, so no black borders exist.
One of THOSE people..

I know I'm insensitive, but I think Mario is too fat as it is, let alone being stretched out more..

One of THOSE people..

I know I'm insensitive, but I think Mario is too fat as it is, let alone being stretched out more..
right, you prefer big black borders on the side of your screen?

I often consider gb and gbc to be the same thing.

...strange things... for me them are all fullscreen by default...

Fullscreen by default here too.

I'm using the current version from the repo and never changed anything.
just tried mednafen, no full screen, don't understand why not

I think it's refering to a keyboard scancode, 35 on a normal keyboard is the / key.. but not sure if that correlates with the Pandora. But I have a feeling that this toggles it from being rendering in a GUI window showing the desktop vs full-screen which hides the desktop and not what you think full-screen means.

Not sure if this is what your looking for but I did find this in the mednafen user documents.. I'm not entirely sure how useful it will be. however notice that the documentation says the toggle_fs is ALT+ENTER by default.

However it looks like there are settings to make it render the way you want..

<system>.stretch

Stretch to fill screen.

• 0 - Disabled
  • full - Full
    Full-screen stretch, disregarding aspect ratio.
  • aspect - Aspect Preserve
    Full-screen stretch as far as the aspect ratio(in this sense, the equivalent xscalefs == yscalefs) can be maintained.
  • aspect_int - Aspect Preserve + Integer Scale
    Full-screen stretch, same as "aspect" except that the equivalent xscalefs and yscalefs are rounded down to the nearest integer.
  • aspect_mult2 - Aspect Preserve + Integer Multiple-of-2 Scale
    Full-screen stretch, same as "aspect_int", but rounds down to the nearest multiple of 2.

Thanks, I've the same but I still don't understand why my version won't start in full screen or how I can switch it there.

Cause we are speaking different languages :lol:

For me the words "Full screen" means just "Not windowed", and "maintained aspect ratio" is implied ^_^ I just can't even think to play a stretched game.

Anyway I tried to use the "gg.stretch full" parameter in "mednafen-09x.cfg" (it's in pandora/appdata/mednafen/.mednafen/) and seems not working... tomorrow I can play more with those parameters

Thanks, I've the same but I still don't understand why my version won't start in full screen or how I can switch it there.

Cause we are speaking different languages :lol:

For me the words "Full screen" means just "Not windowed", and "maintained aspect ratio" is implied ^_^ I just can't even think to play a stretched game.

Anyway I tried to use the "gg.stretch full" parameter in "mednafen-09x.cfg" (it's in pandora/appdata/mednafen/.mednafen/) and seems not working... tomorrow I can play more with those parameters
You have to add something to the gg.sh script to tell SDL to scale to full screen. I'm thinking for the systems where scaling doesn't work, the aspect ratio is hardcoded and can't be changed without recompilation for whatever reason.

Back