Gameboy Advance Emulation

sareks

Casual gamer
Hi, I wanted to share my experiences for GBA Emulation so far. I have a Pandora 1GHz Edition. Feel free to respond, so we can help ppl that don't know much about it yet.

1) gpsp - supports save / load states and 800×480 resolution. How can you save rom folder and screen size settings?

2) VBA KK - I don't know how to start a rom / game, any experiences?

3) VBA 1.7.2.0 - Not sure how to get into the menu whilst ingame

Hope this helps newbies (like me), would appreciate supporting comments. Thanks

PS: If there are more GBA Emulators, please add them to this topic

Last edited by a moderator:
gpsp is really the only viable option and it saves the folder of last game you loaded automatically.

VBA - kk - I believe this is the only one I used, but I was able to load a couple of games, but not playable as too slow and VBA is really only there from gameboy use.

gpsp is really the only viable option and it saves the folder of last game you loaded automatically.

VBA - kk - I believe this is the only one I used, but I was able to load a couple of games, but not playable as too slow and VBA is really only there from gameboy use.

Ok, is this the one with the dos like menu? How did you manage to start roms? Pressing enter quit the emulator for me

Ok, is this the one with the dos like menu? How did you manage to start roms? Pressing enter quit the emulator for me

No, gpsp brings up a browser right away to navigate to path where roms are stored and saves that location upon loading the game. To bring up menu in game I think it might be Y game button at least thats what I set mine to. Find it on the repo?

Edit: I think the gpsp you refer to might have been the old ging wrapoped one from the wiz. Get the native port from repo.openpandora.org

VBA 1.7.2 is the fastest port of VBA. There is no menu while in game.

How do you pick a slot and save / load a game? How do you switch to full screen ? Is there a chance to remap the buttons?
You have to define keys manually in a config file to save/load states. If fullscreen isn't an option in the config file, try pressing f or ctrl+f.

I am totally new to this, I don't know how to edit the config file, there is so much text I don't wanna screw it up. A little bit more help would be needed. Thanks

I'm quite sure that the most helpful thing already is said above: gpSP is really the much superior option. Or is there any particular reason you'd like to use VBA?

I'm quite sure that the most helpful thing already is said above: gpSP is really the much superior option. Or is there any particular reason you'd like to use VBA?
Some say gpSP plays more games, some say the same about VBA. I think it is good to have both so you got the choice. Now there's only the matter of knowing

what buttons to press for the menu (since it's different on each emulator), does it support save / load states and full screen. Who can give me those infos about VBA as I still haven't figured it out,

nor, how to edit the config file without messing settings up. Help anyone, please? This is what this forum is for, right? Thanks

Well, not really, but normally these threads describe how to do such things or at least what the standard buttonconfig is.

Well, not really, but normally these threads describe how to do such things or at least what the standard buttonconfig is.
Haven't figured it out, maybe someone else can help? Thanks

PS: I tried to google it and search through the forums here but no results. Come on ppl, if someone knows please tell us, thanks

It's december 2012 and i still cannot play "Mario & Luigi" without regular crashes. -.-

As i asked before in another thread: Where shall i send money for a much further optimized Pandora-gpsp?

It's december 2012 and i still cannot play "Mario & Luigi" without regular crashes. -.-

As i asked before in another thread: Where shall i send money for a much further optimized Pandora-gpsp?

Folks here generally do not do things for money, they do it because they have a passion for whatever it is they are doing. If you ask really nicely around, someone may undertake this.

I'd start with the original coder.

I haven't had any problems with gpsp.

Compatibility and speed is nice.. the upscaler can be a little annoying at some places, but you can turn that off.

Folks here generally do not do things for money, they do it because they have a passion for whatever it is they are doing. If you ask really nicely around, someone may undertake this.

I'd start with the original coder.
I know, but this hasn't worked yet. :/

...will try it some more.

As far as I can see, gpSP has an entry in the general documentation menu kategory. Apart from that, off the top of my head, I'd try the SPACE key to bring forth the menu. When it is Exophase/Notaz doing stuff, that is generally a good guess.

Back