Nintendo 3DS

just to throw something out there, nintendo doesnt want anybody playing 3d for a long period of time, theres warning everywhere about it, and they included a cradle for it so the 3ds has its own place in your home, so whenever youre not using it, to place it in said cradle which will keep your 3ds charged

That's the typical health stuff Nintendo's done for years now, DaMummy. This isn't the VirtualBoy, which gave the majority of people headaches within an hour. Even if they don't want people playing it for long, that's no (good) reason to lower the battery life. Doing something like that just lessens the value of the handheld.

ok so i still havent decided which color im getting for myself, im not gonna lie, the blue looks very nice, sexy even, but im somehow wanting to keep the black one, as it has a less of a "badazzled" feel/look to it, and id be less worried about being seen in public with a black one. then on another side my pandora will be black until maybe fatih releases those metallic cases, so i would probably want them to be different color. somebody please help me decide. the blue one seems like quick short gratification that id wonna look at, the black one seems like the one id wonna keep and play on w/o being mr fancy-pants

^ I know I said it already in my impressions, but it's really worth noting that the blue is less blue, and more greenish. Personally, I wouldn't really call it blue. :p It is very smart-looking, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Prometheus

Where did you see the demo unit? I live round the corner from a Toys R Us, Will have to nip round later and see if they have one.

It was at a branch of GAME - to my knowledge, there are none known at any Toys 'R' Us branches, unfortunately.

There's a list of demo units in the UK here - note that if you go to one, you may have to ask for them to bring it out to you. I found that the advantage of this approach (rather than the DS' demo-pod things) is that you get actual, non-tethered hands-on time to try it out with - and usually a willing person to model for the built-in Face Raiders game, too. :lol:

I think I'll wait on the 3DS until the inevitable redesign and/or improvement comes along.
Kenichi Sugino said:
[...] we don't have any short-term plans for creating a more compact version of Nintendo 3DS like we did with Nintendo DS Lite.
Source: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_nintendo_3ds_30756_31133.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so i still havent decided which color im getting for myself, im not gonna lie, the blue looks very nice, sexy even, but im somehow wanting to keep the black one, as it has a less of a "badazzled" feel/look to it, and id be less worried about being seen in public with a black one. then on another side my pandora will be black until maybe fatih releases those metallic cases, so i would probably want them to be different color. somebody please help me decide. the blue one seems like quick short gratification that id wonna look at, the black one seems like the one id wonna keep and play on w/o being mr fancy-pants
Personally, I like the blue-ish one better because it's the "default" color (the color variant that's most used by Nintendo for the 3DS - I'm also a proud owner of a purple GBA and a purple Gamecube) and because it's less "Look at me, I'm so totally cool because the color of my 3DS is evil black!".

However, I believe that form must not negatively impact function, and so I preordered a black 3DS. The reason for this is that, unlike the GBA's screen, the Nintendo 3DS' lower screen does not have a black bezel. The lower screen of a black 3DS will most definitely look better (bigger perceived color gamut and higher perceived contrast) than that of a blue-ish 3DS. You may not believe me now, but this effect is typically pretty noticeable in direct comparison. Actually, it's the reason why Nintendo gave the blue-ish 3DS' top screen a black bezel as well:

Yui Ehara said:
We really wanted the 3D screen to look good, so we adopted a full-surface screen cover and made the base colour black.
Source: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_nintendo_3ds_30756_31376.html

based on your post, i have no idea which one you chose :| and to me, the blue one seems like the "hey look at me, my 3ds is all nice and shiny, while the black one kind of blends in and doesnt attract too much attention. i also has a purple ngc, cause that was stock, but i exchanged that case for a clear one, did the same thing to my white nds lite, which is clear, already have a clear case for my psp1001, never got around to putting that on(anyone seeing a pattern here?), as the psp just never got much use with me, some gta here, some gta there, some gta port there...dantes inferno, a final fantasy, and thats basically all i ever played on that thing as far as psp games go

based on your post, i have no idea which one you chose :| [...]
Even though I like the blue-ish color better, I chose the black one because playing games is probably more enjoyable with that color (form follows function).

[...] and to me, the blue one seems like the "hey look at me, my 3ds is all nice and shiny, while the black one kind of blends in and doesnt attract too much attention. i also has a purple ngc, cause that was stock, but i exchanged that case for a clear one, did the same thing to my white nds lite, which is clear, already have a clear case for my psp1001, never got around to putting that on(anyone seeing a pattern here?), as the psp just never got much use with me, some gta here, some gta there, some gta port there...dantes inferno, a final fantasy, and thats basically all i ever played on that thing as far as psp games go
What about forgetting about what others might think and picking the one YOU like best in terms of look and/or function? Basing your decisions on the assumed thoughts of other people can also be a form of conforming to some arbitrary rules, much like deliberately abusing the blue-ish color for attracting attention would be.

And after all, whoever judges someone by the color of his/her gaming console probably isn't worth spending thoughts/time on anyway.

What about forgetting about what others might think and picking the one YOU like best in terms of look and/or function?
thats kind of the problem, i think the blue looks better, but the black one would just function for me better, im definitely leaning towards the black one, but blue one is very sexy. all of this would have been very easy for nintendo to solve if they wouldve just released a red one at launch...

glad to be of assistance, also anyone thats not following the videos for 3ds like a maniac, theres a nice amount of 3ds videos to watch on the Nintendo Channel on the Wii, at least in the US there is...first US 3ds commercial is up there as well

grr....not what i was hoping for

Back