Next compo ideas

Why is that late? Remember crapgames, it should need less than a week to make them. Lets say we have this running 2 weeks then it ends almost exactly at christmas. 

It might not be too late for others, but it definitely is for me. I'm going to be working my socks off doing other things - no more coding for me this year. Although I do have several ideas should this get going and I have a minute or two...

Same here actually. 

But again this is meant to deliver minimum effort work and skipping a gaming evening for a coding evening is not that much of a problem.

Lets see how many ppl are responding till tomorrow. There is not much sense opening a thread for 2 ppl. 

Last year we had 12 _amazing_ entrys but i think that was due the two months time frame. 

^ Agreed... I may be able to participate if I had more time.

Who came up with christmas anyway? That is not a must. Lets say till the end of the year and you should have a christmas holiday full of time and we can still name it "crap game competition 2014".

and you should have a christmas holiday full of time
I don't get holiday over Christmas - my job entails a full 365 24/7 service and I'm working over the whole of Xmas and New Year. It would be so good to have a Christmas off - I've only had two off in 20+ years. I have worked every New Year's Eve/Night except on in the same timeframe.

The last crap games competition was really crappy. Let's not repeat that.

Furthermore I think most people don't have much time at the Christmas holidays, because they spend time with their family, life partner or at least their cats.

Last but not least: less than 1 month is not enough. ;)

Groar! So then not if ya all complain about not enough time. I'll take a note to make this happen next Year in november or something.  

Its a great opportunity for new coders to get used to the pandora and to release stuff without worrying about the quality or response. 

And its good for making a challenge for the oldfart coders here.

That is the reason i pretty much like this contest. 

Groar! So then not if ya all complain about not enough time. I'll take a note to make this happen next Year in november or something.  

Its a great opportunity for new coders to get used to the pandora and to release stuff without worrying about the quality or response. And its good for making a challenge for the oldfart coders here.

That is the reason i pretty much like this contest.
I don't think, that this works this way.You can't steer a competition with saying "Make a crappy game", because it is impossible to define the crappiness.

You can only steer with the time, a topic and maybe some size constraints like with the good old 64K competitions.

If you say "make a game in 48h", a more experienced developer will get more done in that time.

If you say "make a 64K game", a more experienced developer will be able to add more content in that size.

If you say "make a crappy game", a more experienced developer will make a better crappy game. Even if you say, that better quality is worse in that competition, a more experienced developer will also know, how to make a game worse enough for being better than other crappy games. ;)

The only idea I have for new coders is a jury, which scores only the game idea. Not the gameplay itself, not the music, not the graphics.

Dood you are thinking in much too high spheres. 

The rules are: No rules. Do whatever you want.

If you want to spend 2 Months of coding on a crapgame that is fine, but really you cant call that a success. 

Dood you are thinking in much too high spheres. 

The rules are: No rules. Do whatever you want.

If you want to spend 2 Months of coding on a crapgame that is fine, but really you cant call that a success.
If you think, that such a competition works: Feel free to start one. ;)

I loved the Riot compo that was held a few years back. It encompassed all the open handhelds so more people could participate. If a new compo does happen we should include the Zero, Dingoo and GP2X handhelds as well as the Pandora. It's a good way of unifying the open source scene and like I said you'll get more participants and more donators.

Last edited by a moderator:
But how should that work? Speaking of me i know i end up with a game that ONLY runs on the pandora. 

But how should that work? Speaking of me i know i end up with a game that ONLY runs on the pandora.
First of all: It works, because it did work. Just have a look of this big amount of multi plattform titles: http://www.riotdigital.com/ttcc2011/?page=Entries

Please don't speak of yourself if you think, that you are the average dveloper. For most developers the open handhelds differ only in the specific input handling and maybe the screensize. The rest is the same: Some linux with well know libraries like SDL.

As more users can test your game as more votes you good. ;) So even a not-so-good game can get a lot of votes, because it runs everywhere!

It is a shame, that we have a dying gp32x, dingoonity and this board and everone is doing his own business... The RIOT digital competiton ws awesome in connecting the communities! It was the best competiton I ever joined.

Ziz

You have not got the point. If there are really a bunch of target devices it is unlikely that a dev will have them all. 

So you have no possibility to check if everything works, the controls are comfortable, the text is readable, its not lagging and so on. 

That would naturally lead to an biased voting.

You have not got the point. If there are really a bunch of target devices it is unlikely that a dev will have them all.

So you have no possibility to check if everything works, the controls are comfortable, the text is readable, its not lagging and so on.
For the competition I made releases for Pandora, Caanoo, Wiz, Dingoo and GP2X. At this time I did only own a gp2x. You don't need a device to develop for it! There are PLENTY of people in the internet glad to help you with testing your applications on their devices! You don't need to own a device to check, whether a font is readable at 320x00... Even the button positioning is exactly the same on EVERY open handheld! Only the layout differs...
That would naturally lead to an biased voting.
No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea yea yea OK, i did not intend to start a major discussion about it. I just wanted to say i have concerns. 

Anyway guys i am fine with ANYTHING, if there just someone with guts hops in to create something. 

I am finally able to produce some 3D stuff for the Pandora, since then I was hoping for a new competition.

Maybe some easter themed one with deadline easter? ( Just a suggestion )

Back