New users, say hello

this forum has been around since aug 10 2010, you must know something we dont, anyways, welcome newcomers!

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on the GP32X forums for years, and I've lurked here for a few months.

Today, I figured it was finally time for me to start posting. Hopefully, getting involved in the community will make these Two Months™ fly by.

Hello all! I'm new to this forum! I've been looking for a handheld where I can make homebrew games on but when I found this I knew I wanted to do alot more then just gaming :p .

Holy shit you can do like anything on this thing like a normal computer! :D

Just saying Hello, joined up to ask some questions, am hoping the Pandora is what is appears might be.

Well you can probably guess from my name, that I love coffee! Cappuccino, Mocha, you name it!

Recently, I started to emulate some of the old games to see what it was like in the times of the old SNES days (Yep, I am pretty young) and I loved them! The very idea of carrying around a portable device holding all that history and entertainment makes me want to jump for joy, so that's why I am ordering a Pandora for Christmas! I simply can't wait!

I hope to see you all around the forums B)

I'm a first batch Pandora pre-orderer, and I'm a massive forum lurker on this forum and the GP32X forum. Hopefully I'll get my Pandora soon! ;)

Hi to all you new folks! Nice to meet you all. :D

@Latte guy - You, sir, have good taste. The SNES is my favourite console of all-time, and I can still find games for it that I missed at the time, even now - it's always nice to see someone else discovering its games for the first time and having fun with them. Accordingly, you may find this thread to be of interest. :) (And possibly this one as well, since the Game Boy Advance had a number of games that had a similar spirit to those of the SNES.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the boards guys.

Recently, I started to emulate some of the old games to see what it was like in the times of the old SNES days (Yep, I am pretty young) and I loved them!
Which shows once more that good gameplay and fun graphics are way more important than pushing as much polygons as possible.

Hello!

After a few months of lurking in these forums, I finally decided to join in and become an active member.

A few words to introduce myself: I'm French (so English is not my native language), I live in London, UK (so I speak a bit of English, with ze accent), and I'm a Java/C++/C# developer in the boring normal life. I've been a gamer for more time than I wish to remember (25 years? wow time flies). I've tried a lot of portable consoles before (GBA, PSP, DS, iPhone) and had a lot of fun with hacking them to play emulators and doing what was not allowed by the big companies that publish them. But I was always left with a sense of imperfection because of the limitations added on these consoles and the constant fight against companies to really own the consoles I bought.

Then a few months ago I found these forums by chance (came here actually interested by the iControlPad for the iPhone) and I think the wait is finally over: I found the perfect console. Placed an order recently, and I'm now part of the crowd of fans desperately awaiting for the email from pandorasales saying the order has shipped.

What I like in the Pandora so far (without owning one yet, how sad):

* Netbook? check, console with dual analog nubs? check, awesome controls? check, portable? check, community-driven homebrew development? check, Atari ST emulation with perfect playability and full speed? check (some of my fondest gaming memories are on the Atari ST I had when I was 15)

* OpenSource! Not only can you do what you want on the Pandora, but it's also actively encouraged by the creators of the console! What a change from the PSP/iPhone platforms

* "Family business" mentality: fed up with the likes of Apple, Sony, etc. it's great to see that a few guys can raise themselves to compete with the pros, and produce something as great as the Pandora will surely be. Of course it has drawbacks, lack of certainty (the "vaporware" paradigm), overall confusion in delivery times and "not-so-great" control on the production problems, but who cares! If I have to wait until the end of time for my Panda, that will still be a fair price to pay to support you guys and what you're doing here (but please, let me have mine a little bit sooner than that)

* Community - forums are great, ED's videos per day are great, enough said. Everyone who reads this post knows what I'm talking about.

So you should expect me to be more active in the next weeks (years?), and for when I finally have my pandora, I already have a few ideas of hacks and apps I could participate in.

Well, that's it for now, see you soon not far from here!

Welcome Theo!

Family business" mentality: fed up with the likes of Apple, Sony, etc. it's great to see that a few guys can raise themselves to compete with the pros, and produce something as great as the Pandora will surely be

I sure do agree, it being a community-based project too, it made me willing to pay it's price of $450 AU for the console w/ accessories, as I know not only will I get great use out of the Pandora, but I will also be supporting the people behind it ;) I won't deny it though, some topics have made me think-twice about ordering due to delivery times...

Many of my friends may have an I pad, I Pod touch, you name it, many of those features that those models have are effectively in the Pandora, and more! When one of my friends asks me "Have you got a PS3, XBox 360, DSi?" I replied "Nope, but I have an SNES, Saturn, N64, an Atari, a Game boy advanced and a Linux-based laptop" I get a very odd blank look... It makes me sad in a way that people of my age, as Prometheus said, love their HD games that have more vertices and shadows that I care to count, but have little playability or plot. I wasn't around in the SNES days, but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate what those times had.

In fact, my favourite game isn't Halo, Black Ops, or C.O.D, but instead SimCity for the SNES B) I do play some new games, but I love the classics over a HD first-person shooter any day!

Many of my friends may have an I pad, I Pod touch, you name it, many of those features that those models have are effectively in the Pandora, and more! When one of my friends asks me "Have you got a PS3, XBox 360, DSi?" I replied "Nope, but I have an SNES, Saturn, N64, an Atari, a Game boy advanced and a Linux-based laptop" I get a very odd blank look... It makes me sad in a way that people of my age, as Prometheus said, love their HD games that have more vertices and shadows that I care to count, but have little playability or plot. I wasn't around in the SNES days, but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate what those times had.

Well actually I also have a PS3, an iPhone, an iPad, a PSP, a DS and a gaming PC. I dedicate a lot of my resources to gaming ;) I love a good Civilization 5, Europa Universalis III, GTA 4, Fallout 3 or Red Dead Redemption games, but the most fun I had in my gaming life, I have to say, was with the old stuff from the past. Maybe (surely) because I was younger :) That's the whole paradox of getting older in the gaming world: you get a lot more money to spend on games, but a lot less time to play them (because of the gamer's cursed trinity: work, wife and kids ;) )

A better looking game does not mean a better game, I agree, but that doesn't mean they're all bad. Some recent games are awesome too.

A better looking game does not mean a better game, I agree, but that doesn't mean they're all bad. Some recent games are awesome too.

That is true, but I was more referring to endless array of first-person shooters that don't have a plot. I agree, Civilization is a fantastic series! I still have yet to play Civilization V :( , it looks fantastic! I am a big-fan of Sim-games :)

I still have yet to play Civilization V :( , it looks fantastic! I am a big-fan of Sim-games :)
It's still in its early days, but it's awesome. They removed some nice things, which is surprising (e.g. religions), but I'm sure some expansions will add more features in the months to come.

Anyway, we're a bit off-topic here :)

So we are :unsure:

I just placed the order for my OpenPandora, and I am waiting for it to be processed so I can pay via Google-checkout (I have never used it before) Can't wait :D Cheaper than I expected, I was unsure if the price for the Pandora included the battery/stylus/adapter

Cheaper than I expected, I was unsure if the price for the Pandora included the battery/stylus/adapter
I'm sure you already know the answer by now, but this has come up a surprising number of times, so I'm going to make a note here since the search engine will no doubt display this as a result to folks who are trying to find the answer at some point: It does include those. :) (The prices for them on the price-list are for spares/replacements.)

The Pandora has become an ongoing joke at work now, whenever i get a package everyone always jokingly asks "Is that the Pandora" regardless of the size of the box knowing that it has 0 chance of it being the Pandora.
Just think about the time when you can answer "actually yes it is" when the Panda finally gets delivered. Should be payback enough for all these jokes ;)

Hello. =3

Just placed my order a couple of days ago.

I'm an anthro artist hailing from South Africa. I don't get much time for digital art as I run a restaurant and travel a lot (going to festivals at certain times of the year).

Once upon a time when just out of school, I dreamed of being a game artist...

Perhaps when I receive my Pandora - my style of art will find a home in some projects. I love that this is open source. I love that it's *even better* than the dream hand-held I use to fantasize about... But close enough that all those awesome ideas for fantasy games I use to have actually have a chance of becoming real! I just need to meet some kind folks (who know how to put together a bit of code) that like my ideas and love my art.

I'm so excited.

The Pandora is more than powerful enough for the games I want to create, and it has a qwerty! ... touch screen ... Ample potential gigs of space, open, limitless periphery potentials via usb that could be used to augment game dynamics... and... it can all be created right there on the device.

It's perfect.

I don't care how powerful or popular the next i-thingy is. I'm only interested in this... the awesome.. Pandora!

P.s. When I was young I dreamed these dreams, and yet I sought love, companionship, a partner... How naive I was. After being woefully disappointed a couple of times, I realized how much of a drain of energy, attention, motivation, and TIME having these relationships that took priority was.

Now I am free from that desire - and once I am financially free to work full time on that which I love most... I won't have any distractions! :lol: Life is about to become *brilliant*!

I fully expect to fall inlove with my Pandora... just warning you all. :rolleyes:

...I'm afraid now. Of you.. Seriously, that's no way to... No. Even I find that creepy, and I'm obsessed with the device!

Back