New users, say hello

i ordered from batch 2 and although i want to remain positive, i really dont think i'll get mine as a christmas gift. but i wish i wont get it as valentines gift though... ^_^
I think batch 1-ers can feel lucky if they get theirs for christmas. I don't really think batch 2 will come around this year

I ordered in july also. Wish it would b here by xmass butit wont be thanks to the nubs. He'll I would take a 1nuber right now

Hi! My name's Isaac Kuo.

I'm a programmer who has been looking for a truly open handheld or really small laptop for ages. Finally, something to replace my woefully underpowered (and non-wireless capable) 120mhz Libretto!

Currently in the process of convincing the wife...

Anyway, I have now decided to develop with 800x480 resolution in mind regardless of my wife's decision. I mainly use Debian Stable and Ubuntu LTS--so far, all x86. I've never developed for ARM or done any cross-compiling (other than for 6502 VIC-20 from x86). Any good pointers for newbie developers? Am I right in thinking that C/SDL/OpenGL is a good way to go? I'm hoping to make simple games that will play on Debian/Ubuntu computers as well as Pandora.

Any good pointers for newbie developers? Am I right in thinking that C/SDL/OpenGL is a good way to go? I'm hoping to make simple games that will play on Debian/Ubuntu computers as well as Pandora.
OpenGLES is what is available on the Pandora (a subset of OpenGL intended for embedded devices) but other than that you've got it. No real tips with respect to it being ARM. It's basically a linux computer, so just use good programming practices and it should be fine. Don't use any x86 specific things, like assembly or certain libraries and you'll be fine. Stick with SDL and OpenGLES and you'll be fine. Useful thing about OpenGLES, since it's a subset of OpenGL, things written for the Pandora can also be compiled to run on desktops.

Hey there, Camo here!

I've been looking around for a device that is a computer in the palm of my hands at a affordable price and the Pandora caught my attention. I was previously looking at the Viliv N5 but it costs too much. I'm willing too sacrifice x86 and Windows for $300ish.

The only issue is that I'm still new to Linux so I'm a bit afraid of the interface and such... :blink:

Can you click on things, and copy and paste things? I'm guessing you can. That being the case, you have no reason to worry about the interface. :)

(Just speaking as a daily Linux and Mac OS X user, here. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi My name is Andrew, I live Los Angeles, my colleague UberDub is a member here and got me interested in your product. I have a MBA and years of experience in small business start-ups and entrepreneurship. I would love to help out in multiple areas and facets if possible and am an avid open source geek. I have run *nix OS for years and got my first real taste in the early 90's. I currently have a Dual Boot Slackware box and Macbook have used many different distros of Linux over the years. My tech skills are amateur at best but my business acumen is quite strong. I look forward to seeing your product development and company grow.

Hey everyone! Ivan here from Sweden. Finns det några andra svenskar här på forumet? Just ordered a Pandora from the second batch, hope to recieve it before the end of the year. Would really be the perfect xmas present for myself.

Hello! My name is Mr. Beam. I am a homebrew game developer. I came up with a name for myself:"Cucumber Moon" ( know it's silly. Alternate title is K Games) If I recieve a Pandora, my slogan will be this: "Developing games in the car since 2010(?)"

Hello everyone,

I am Chris from Australia and I ordered my Pandora late July. Really looking forward to getting the device but the wait is killing me. I did have a dingoo which I loved and was amazed at all it could do, however my girlfriend trod on it and smashed the screen (Suppose it was my fault for leaving my bag on the floor, so I did somehow forgive her). So instead of replacing the Dingoo I decided to upgrade to the Pandora. I don't know what batch I am in I would have thought 2 but when I placed my order they said that there were still a few spots left in batch 1.

The Pandora has become an ongoing joke at work now, whenever i get a package everyone always jokingly asks "Is that the Pandora" regardless of the size of the box knowing that it has 0 chance of it being the Pandora.

Hello everyone,

I am Chris from Australia and I ordered my Pandora late July. Really looking forward to getting the device but the wait is killing me. I did have a dingoo which I loved and was amazed at all it could do, however my girlfriend trod on it and smashed the screen (Suppose it was my fault for leaving my bag on the floor, so I did somehow forgive her). So instead of replacing the Dingoo I decided to upgrade to the Pandora. I don't know what batch I am in I would have thought 2 but when I placed my order they said that there were still a few spots left in batch 1.

The Pandora has become an ongoing joke at work now, whenever i get a package everyone always jokingly asks "Is that the Pandora" regardless of the size of the box knowing that it has 0 chance of it being the Pandora.

Oh wow.

About a year ago I bought an Xbox off eBay, and it just sort of disappeared in the mail. To this day, any package I get, regardless of size, shape or point or origin, I hear, "Hey, I bet it's that Xbox you ordered."

Oh wow.

About a year ago I bought an Xbox off eBay, and it just sort of disappeared in the mail. To this day, any package I get, regardless of size, shape or point or origin, I hear, "Hey, I bet it's that Xbox you ordered."

I am amazed by the fact the joke doesn't get old. It probably has been said to me about 20-30 times now and it still gets a laugh.

Hey guys. I'm a developer - just finished up my masters in Computer Science from Texas State in May, and now I work for a bank software development company in Dallas, TX. Interested in developing new software, games, emulators, etc. Have a few cool things written for Pandora already, just waiting for a system to test 'em out. I preordered in the first 3 hours or so, so mine should be at the beginning of the next batch. Gotta say, I wish I'd gotten my system earlier, but the new nubs sound pretty sweet. I'm taking a couple weeks off work in December, so if I have pandora in hand I'll likely release some software then.

I'm known on the other boards as 'rabidpoobear' but I'm trying to change that moniker. It's a bit unprofessional and it's intrinsically linked to my online identity right now, unfortunately. Not that I mind that at all, but when employers google my name I'd like for other things to show up besides lots of 'rabidpoobear's. So here's the start of my new username, 'lukevp', which is somewhat more professional. Y'all can just call me luke, or skywalker, or Mr. P, or whatever floats your boats.

Hello! i'm Long from Saint-Petersburgh, Russia.

board_niko_611009.jpg
x_55cd86b4.jpg

:rolleyes: today I get e-mail witw pay request and now I can say "hello" to all of you!

27820101.jpg

Now, if i'm lucky, i get my Pandora before new year :D

I am amazed by the fact the joke doesn't get old. It probably has been said to me about 20-30 times now and it still gets a laugh.

I think after a while the fact that it's repeated so much becomes the joke.

Back