Say Hello To My Little Friend

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
Well I got my Pandora last nght. US customs had their way with the packaging. I chose not to do an unboxing video this time. I will however be posting some video reviews later on. For now, wall of text.

Hardware -
One word sums it up stunning.
The long winded version is...

DaveC, thank you. the controls are superb, nearly flawless, dreamy, as close to perfection as humanly possible. I love the Dpad and action buttons. The keypad is totally usable for even long winded speeches, and five paragraph forum tirades. My shoulder buttons are a might stuff, but I've learned the special technique to get perfect response from them.

The case itself is sturdy, professional grade, and beautiful. My case has a small blemish on the right hinge, but t's barely noticable. Otherwise the fit and finsh on my Pandora is top-notch.

Software -
Here's where it gets shaky for me. I know it's beta level software, and for how mature it is I've got to say it's servicable. I wll be issuing several bug reports over the next few days. But rather dwell on what's wrong I'll talk about what's right. It's fast... way faster than I initially had hoped. the menus are 1000% more snappy than in ED's videos from awhle back. Browsing is slick [when not crashing] and It's a total joy to surf like a desktop in the palm of my hand. While all the browsers currently available have certain issues, between the three you can get some stuff done. Everythng else appears to work fine (with a few major exeptions) in the OS i had zero issues setting up Wifi, My connection has been very stable to a Belkin 54g wireless router. These routers are notorious for being picky, so I consider myself lucky there. I haven't yet tired any emulators yet, but look forward to trying out Picodrive very soon.

I'll try to fill some video requests, but my game library is at home, and I'm at work so no PSX games for now. ;P
I've got quite a bit of USB hardware at my disposal, My first vdeo will likely talk about that.

I'll post some pics here in a few.

Congrats MindLord! I had a feeling it had arrived as you had been curiously absent since yesterday.

I'm sure you've got lots of stuff you want to try on it *cough* Comix *cough* I kid I kid! Seriously though have fun, the wait for you is now over!

Woot, welcome to the hoedown!

(and for anyone expecting to have big drawn out discussion/flames with me, I'll be less available the next few weeks unfortunately; I'll try to catch up on the forums in the evenings though :)

jeff

mindlord said:
Well I got my Pandora last nght. US customs had their way with the packaging. I chose not to do an unboxing video this time. I will however be posting some video reviews later on. For now, wall of text.

So..US customs opened Pandora's Box? Now we know who to blame for all the bad things in this world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video, I like your documentary approach.

(And I love to see crazy USB hookups; I only bothered with USB mouse/keyb->hub, and occasionally a gamepad (since I had no nubs/dpad/keyb/wifi/etc on my devboard.)

Evidently, we all want a Pandora docking bay :)

I always meant to (but never got to) try old Palm BT keyboards; I do have some ancient roll-up Palm keyboards, but It hink they were serial, not sure if I have a BT one; there were 'rubber' and 'fabric' rollup keyboards which will really backpackable. (Not to mention the common folding keyboards, that folded in half or in 3 parts to be the size of the Pandora.. I need to try all these guys, or hack drivers together. I've got like 5 or more of the bloody things from writing drivers before :p)

jeff

Bootup speed can be much improved as well; I think its around 40-45s right now, but we can shave off 10s or so pretty easily (and a more stripped firmware can boot right to a menu in half that.)

Nice vid MindLord, thats quite the setup you've got there :)

Interesting to see what will actually run off the panda. I just tried an LED light tube type affair, but all I got was a flicker. I don't think it's got the balls to power it.

I recorded this video first, I wasn't going to post it. Here it is anyway. It's a little clumsy and the framing is bad in quite a few places. I was also interrupted right in the middle of the browser section and there is a lengthy pause. Rather than re-shoot or edit it - I decided I didn't care. :)

I'm glad to hear that you like it and I hope to get mine before the end of next month I hope(around 3000), but hopefully U.S. customs don't open mine. :ph34r:
How'd you have yours shipped UPS or air mail?

Thanks for the review helped me to relax, some of the reviews I read were making me nervous :unsure: about a few things.

mindlord said:
I recorded this video first, I wasn't going to post it. Here it is anyway. It's a little clumsy and the framing is bad in quite a few places. I was also interrupted right in the middle of the browser section and there is a lengthy pause. Rather than re-shoot or edit it - I decided I didn't care. :)
Thanks a lot, I really enjoyed the video :)

mindlord said:
A video about USB stuff and the Pandora.

Interesting video, thanks a lot.
One question for you. If you need a large keyboard and want to develop on it, why don't you buy a netbook?

Vitel said:
mindlord said:

One question for you. If you need a large keyboard and want to develop on it, why don't you buy a netbook?
Because I don't just want to develop on a small platform, I want to play games on it too. I won't always want to backpack all of my kit around, but I will always want a Pandora in my pocket.

Vitel said:
mindlord said:

Because that's sensible. The Pandora isn't about being sensible!

Mindlord: Epic video! I want more! I don't have enough USB devices lying around to really push my Pandora.

Oh wait... I could try my scanner? (Just tried, it says 'unable to enumerate').

Nice video Mindlord. Just FYI I have used a few storage devices plugged directly into the Pandora and have had no issues when removing, I even run PNDs from my USB in \Pandora\Desktop and they work just fine.

Back