Trooper

I'm not sure... I always thought sams GP32 commited suicide... :p

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Dec 7 2004 at 09:45 PM said:
trooper posted on Dec 7 2004 at 10:22 PM said:
Sam fishers brother shouted at sams GP32 and cracked the screen. :lol:

Trooper

You could be right. :p If i was any of sam fishers belongings i think i would of commited suicide. :lol:

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper posted on Dec 7 2004 at 11:49 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Dec 7 2004 at 09:45 PM said:
trooper posted on Dec 7 2004 at 10:22 PM said:
Sam fishers brother shouted at sams GP32 and cracked the screen. :lol:

Trooper

You could be right. :p If i was any of sam fishers belongings i think i would of commited suicide. :lol:

Trooper

Self flash, auto off. Voila, dead GP.

ebay is god, if something doesnt work send it back for not the most rediculus price. i got my blu from jr2swiss before he closed his store so im lucky that i got a good one. if there is ever a blu on ebay i recogmend getting that because if you paypal and and get some insurance your set :D

As already stated in another thread, this is not a broken GP32 unit.

The bars are caused by a change of the LCD display from Samsung to a new Taiwanese manufacturer. As far as I have been told by an engineer working closely with Gamepark, official Firmware and software is not affected.

On the long term, only coders of the Firmware, Emulators and other tools for the GP32 can solve this problem, by updating their "settings" for the future.

Whether you buy your GP32 in Asia, USA or at local dealers in Europe, it will all be the same in the future, unless Gamepark can do some magic or goes back to Samsung for the display. I am sure they will advise the correct "settings" for the new display in due course.

Apart from this official information, I have also heard from users that their original setup already had those bars, can anyone confirm this?

I was hit by this (my post about it was here) and I just received a response from Lik Sang. It's a bad batch and they are accepting returns on units with this problem:
Dear valued customer,

We are aware of the "white bar" problem that is on the displays of the
recent shipments of the GP32. We have been able to reproduce the problem and
brought this matter to Gamepark's attention. We are currently waiting for
the results of their engineers' investigation and have suspended shipments.

Please rest assured that we will do whatever we can to get this issue solved
in a speedy manner. Unfortunately there is probably no other way than
returning your unit to Lik Sang in Hong Kong.

We will have a special arrangement with DHL or UPS to get your unit back on
our cost, and if you have already shipped your unit back, we will issue a
store credit in the amount of your shipping cost. Depending on your
location, you might even be able to return the unit to Lik Sang Europe, in
order to save time and shipping cost.

If you are affected by this problem, please let us know as soon as possible,
so that we can issue return instructions including shipment information.
Please understand that it will take a couple of days to get this information
ready for you, as we are not only speaking to DHL + UPS, but also to
GamePark in the meantime. Please bear with us until early/middle of next
week.

Please accept our apologies for the unfortunate bug in the GP32. We
understand that this bug hits you and us (and Gamepark!) at the worst
possible moment, in the middle of the Christmas rush. Murphy's law :/

Team Lik-Sang.com (from Malmö)

I was hit by this (my post about it was here) and I just received a response from Lik Sang. It's a bad batch and they are accepting returns on units with this problem:
Dear valued customer,

We are aware of the "white bar" problem that is on the displays of the
recent shipments of the GP32. We have been able to reproduce the problem and
brought this matter to Gamepark's attention. We are currently waiting for
the results of their engineers' investigation and have suspended shipments.

Please rest assured that we will do whatever we can to get this issue solved
in a speedy manner. Unfortunately there is probably no other way than
returning your unit to Lik Sang in Hong Kong.

We will have a special arrangement with DHL or UPS to get your unit back on
our cost, and if you have already shipped your unit back, we will issue a
store credit in the amount of your shipping cost. Depending on your
location, you might even be able to return the unit to Lik Sang Europe, in
order to save time and shipping cost.

If you are affected by this problem, please let us know as soon as possible,
so that we can issue return instructions including shipment information.
Please understand that it will take a couple of days to get this information
ready for you, as we are not only speaking to DHL + UPS, but also to
GamePark in the meantime. Please bear with us until early/middle of next
week.

Please accept our apologies for the unfortunate bug in the GP32. We
understand that this bug hits you and us (and Gamepark!) at the worst
possible moment, in the middle of the Christmas rush. Murphy's law :/

Team Lik-Sang.com (from Malmö)

Ok so what do you do with emus and programs that are not updated anymore, which is most of them? Live with a corrupted screen? No thanks.

If it is the case as you said, then fully working GP32s are now officially unavailable forever.

donjj posted on Dec 9 2004 at 10:27 PM said:

The bars are caused by a change of the LCD display from Samsung to a new Taiwanese manufacturer. As far as I have been told by an engineer working closely with Gamepark, official Firmware and software is not affected.

On the long term, only coders of the Firmware, Emulators and other tools for the GP32 can solve this problem, by updating their "settings" for the future.

Whether you buy your GP32 in Asia, USA or at local dealers in Europe, it will all be the same in the future, unless Gamepark can do some magic or goes back to Samsung for the display. I am sure they will advise the correct "settings" for the new display in due course.

Apart from this official information, I have also heard from users that their original setup already had those bars, can anyone confirm this?

That's Resonable. As long as GamePark give the correct settings and help the developers.

I just got an email from Lik-Sang a few hours ago saying that they were working with gamepark to resolve this problem, but they did not mention anything about a change in LCD manufacturer. All they said was
We are currently looking at this issue and Gamepark is investigating the cause. Unfortunately there seem to be no other way then sending the unit back to us.

If a changed LCD manufacturer was the case I would gladly keep my GP as is, even though I was really hanging out for frodo...

catmince posted on Dec 9 2004 at 08:30 PM said:
donjj posted on Dec 9 2004 at 10:27 PM said:

That's Resonable. As long as GamePark give the correct settings and help the developers.

Reasonable? No. Not all software is still being updated (most is NOT), meaning it will ALWAYS be fucked on new units.

ah that sucks. anyone order from lik sang lately and not didn't get a defective unit?

junker posted on Dec 9 2004 at 09:39 PM said:
ah that sucks. anyone order from lik sang lately and not didn't get a defective unit?
woooaahhh. This has gone a bit out of control. lik-sang have done alot of gp32 owners a great service. Don't take this to heart. Although I did get a GP32 that couldn't run Doom and SCUMMVM I was still extremely pleased with lik-sang's great customer service and the speed of which I got my GP£" :D

This is straight from the same engineer I mentioned yesterday in my post. They are close to Gamepark and the message from Gamepark was forwarded to me. It includes information how the code needs to be changed to properly handle the new display. Since I am not working for Gamepark, I cannot confirm that this works or if this will affect the old displays, I am just the messenger. If anyone can confirm if it works and what the effect is on original units, please post it here.

Again, the GP32 units are not faulty, it is the latest batch of the Gamepark production and this won't change in the future. There is no way to "fix" your unit, since it is not broken.

-- // Gameparks Info: // --

New display settings:

Vertical back porch :0x08
Vertical front Porch :0x02
Vertical sync pulse width :0x5
Horizontal back porch :0x32
Horizontal front porch :0x2
Horizontal sync pulse width :0x1e

Users can identify GP32 BLU between Samsung LCD and Taiwanese LCD in
'Test Mode'.
Let me tell you how to enter into 'Test Mode' by pressing L/R button as follows,
of course with GP32 BLU in the power-on state :

(L->R->R->L->R->R->L->L) L:LEFT KEY R:RIGHT KEY

And then the 1st screen will say :

If Samsung LCD => FW Version :1.6.6 (2003.5.21)
If Taiwanese LCD => FW Version :1.6.6 (2004.10.10)

- 2003.5.21 = May 21, 2004
- 2004.10.10.= October 10, 2004

-- // --

As far as I have been told, Lik Sang has put the product on back-order and offered to replace the units for anyone with that problem. However, this seems to be impossible by now since all new units manufactured will have the same display in place.

Thats great! But I'm not giving up until I get a reply from Gamepark, or at least through Lik-Sang from Gamepark.

I sent to Gamepark through the address on their website, and the following is what I just got:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on genamics.cenancestor.net.

The message identifier is: 1CcFxf-0006jr-Ps
The subject of the message is: GP32 BLU hardware change
The date of the message is: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:31:32 +1300

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

help@gamepark.co.kr
Delay reason: Connection refused
Thanks Gamepark. Nice to see you take it so seriously :(

That ok. Thanks heaps for the info donjj.

Now just hope that one of the guru coders can verify this somehow... what would be very interesting is - would these new settings be backwards compatible with the OLDer units?? No-one would be willing to alter the current games if it would mean the older units stop working! Would be the fastest way to kill the GP.

Back