New pyra picture for main page

ible

professional vim user
i think it would be nice to update this picture eventually:

https://boards.openpandora.org/pyramain/main/

i'm not sure if a render is appropriate, or if we should wait for a real prototype, but at any rate it might be nice to have something which is a clearer picture of what the Pyra is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to show the Pyra to friends of mine, it's hard to find good pics on a phone in a bar.

I think I had to go through the forum for that.

So yeah, I agree that the site can be way more customer friendly/inviting in that regard. A nice entry page with specs and a nice render will catch some one's attention better than this ;)

Yes, I plan to do that with the switch to a new forum software... I am a bit out of time, but if someone with HTML / PHP - experience can help me here, we could get that done faster!

A render would be best, but a picture with some photoshop clean up should do fine too.

I have been trying to render the blender files (actually, to convert to my beloved lightwave environment) but the file is very strange with its complexity,

it would be better to remodel it with the current blender object as a reference and get a very tight light object out of it.

These ones by Fusion-Power / Kiga are quite nice

Pyra_grau.png.bfced02b0c8692888c0039934cfd3f7f.png

Pyra_Anthrazit.png.ec4c92f603b8a77a04f984d725158666.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yupp, to dark and please notice, the upper one is missing the D-Pad. ;)  I made some brighter Renderings that also include a surface under the pyra. Still have not found the best settings to make it look professional enough like all these shiny "Device on white table" renderings we know. ^^"

And there is still no final color, I also would like to have an little bit more rough surface but have not found a good material setting. New Blender is still new to me. 

I may give a shot on this, maybe an animated GIF could go cool on the page? The thing flipping and pausing about so future users can get a glimpse on the ports and all and hopefully raise interest.
I will jump to the 3d blend file thread till I have something ok.

gifs could be nice.  like a pyra rotating around 360 degrees -- could be done less jumpy than the gamebuino's gif.

something like system76's rotations of their computers (though they made them as movies, not gifs):

https://system76.com/laptops/serval

or something even better.  don't just explore 2 pi angles, but 4 pi solid angles.

Don't use GIFs. They're way larger while having a worse quality than WebM/MP4s; see also http://gfycat.com/about

Something even better would be using three.js, which can be used to render the pyra to CSS3D (example), HTML5canvas (example) or WebGL (example) which then could be used for interactive stuff. 

Note though that WebM/MP4s are supported almost everywhere, while you may run into compatibility issues with three.js. I'd therefore say it would be useful to have a WebM/MP4 with a static image as fallback on the main page and a sub-page with three.js. 

Fallback is important to accessibility, so perhaps we should have animated FLIF backed by WebM backed by a few AGIF frames engineered for low-bandwith users (backed by a textual alt description for those using screenreaders)

Back