New Pictarss

joce said:
what is the bump on the top right of the right analog stick? it's in both pictures
Someone sucked at playing quake with analogue nubs and tried to bite it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
Photos photos photos. Does this paint also need to be tested?
When will the paint on pandora be denied/approved? Where's the package?

No, they tested themselves if it fits.
No approvement needed as I understood it.
Should ship on the 20th(maybe).

mali said:
joce said:
what is the bump on the top right of the right analog stick? it's in both pictures
Someone sucked at playing quake with analogue nubs and tried to bite it off.
no, but seriously

joce said:
It's just a beat up old board that MWeston sent them (the case factory) to do a test assembly. That, and the dog ate it.

@borgqueenx, from the official blog:

The cases are going to be shipped on April 17th to UK if they WON'T be painted or April 20th IF they will be painted. After all, the paint is applied AFTER the production, so we can say either DO IT or DON'T do it - depending on how far things are setup in UK and how well everything does fit in the painted case.

We're already told the painted cases fit together fine (see first post for evidence :p ). So the decision comes down to how well set up they are in the UK (ie. if they still need to spend a few days unpacking boards & LCDs and preparing the assembly hall, they might as well use that time to have the cases painted). I'm betting they'll go with the paint.

@joce
It's just a dent, nothing more. It's just a board for testing purpose so the nub might have been defective before or was handled improperly, who knows.

edit: Gruso'd

mali said:
@joce
It's just a dent, nothing more. It's just a board for testing purpose so the nub might have been defective before or was handled improperly, who knows.

edit: Gruso'd
thanks gruso! that would be painful on teh thumbs me thinks. at least i know what my pandora will look like if my dog gets a hold of it. hooray for the future!

EDIT2:
I was corrected. And I am very pleased I was!
Now i WASN'T an ass, I just LOOK like one :)

thanks Usoppe and Gruso
--------------------

Sorry to be the ass is in here. However this

Gruso said:
We're already told the painted cases fit together fine (see first post for evidence :p ).

is wrong! Do you remember this case modification they had to do because it just took too long to put the cable through the hinge? It would have been full functional, except for the fact that the building process of the Pandora would have taken 5 or 10 minutes longer per case and the possibility to damage the cable as higher.

Now, take the modified case, put a layer of pain ton top and you realise that the hole for the cable could be too small AGAIN!

All in all, a pic of a assembled P from teh factory doesn't mean anything.

PS:
I tried to be ass negative as I gonna be in this post :)

EDIT:
It looks awesome. I would take it!
finally a pic i can show to my friends who decided not to order :)

Creature XL said:
Sorry to be the ass is in here. However this

Gruso said:
We're already told the painted cases fit together fine (see first post for evidence :p ).

is wrong! Do you remember this case modification they had to do because it just took too long to put the cable through the hinge? It would have been full functional, except for the fact that the building process of the Pandora would have taken 5 or 10 minutes longer per case and the possibility to damage the cable as higher.

Now, take the modified case, put a layer of pain ton top and you realise that the hole for the cable could be too small AGAIN!

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52935-new-blog-post/page__st__315__p__839929&#entry839929

They paint the case outside not inside, they can think too and as Ive understood Michael will get an sample one more time.

In mye eye, the case with the painting is done, finally, and its very pro. Good job again, team, the chinese team, too.

Any paint fit issues can be dealt with by filing the affected areas at assembly. This should not be a show-stopper or require a re-design of the case mould or whatever ..

Creature XL said:

All in all, a pic of a assembled P from teh factory doesn't mean anything.

PS:
I tried to be ass negative as I gonna be in this post :)
Screw you, hippie!
MWeston said:
A very important detail they told Fatih last night was that the paint is only applied to the outside of the case so all internal tolerances are unaffected which is great! That was my main concern anyway. My next concern was to make sure they don't paint inside the hinge hump edges so that when the lid is installed, it won't scrape back and forth. Fatih has been instructed to make sure they understand this but they are not idiots and they do know how this thing goes together. The main issue will be for them to make sure the paint facility crew knows this too.
:D

[edit] ah, ninja'd

I don't know, contrary to what we may think, the factory guys aren't idiots. They make parts for some major manufacturers IIRC, not to mention the fact that they know how exact Michael is with the fit of the components. I hope I don't have to eat my words but I'm pretty sure that the paint layer will not cause any hole clogging issues, and they will be inspected.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/china-dispatch,review-776-19.html

Interesting!

Well, that may not be the actual process our company uses (unless I've accidentally happened upon the actual company they are using!), but I thought it would be good to at least have some kind of visualisation so we don't all imagine a bunch of guys slapping house paint on to our cases with dirty old brushes

AN IDEA! first batchers don't get paint. i mean, we did pay less after all. idk. looks good with paint, but would be a nice memento

Slap that damn paint on! It looks like a finished, polished product. Something you have to deliver after getting public at the CeBIT and the golem interview. And I want it that way. So screw those 3 days extra.

Yes, all the preorderers' bitching because of waiting time is justified. Also the OP team has a responsibility towards the community. BUT they also didn't put all that work into Pandora purely for fun with the console. It's a company. It has to build and maintain an image. Successfully doing so we will be guaranteed continuous support, spare parts and, eventually, a successor. So yes, I, the preorderer say "gimme now" but the guy in me operating tha brains just repeats "please wait" (in an, admittedly, rather lethargic tone).

Back