New Pandora owner? Make this thread your first stop.

you might have to go to

load rom (in emu)

media

pandora(your card)

then wherever on your card the rom is

1332573085106.jpg

Glad you god it working.

A good "howdy-do" to you all, from a brand new Pandora owner in San Diego, California, USA.

It was suggested that I introduce myself here first (by Gruso), so here goes nothing...  First off, I've been following this Open Pandora project and/or the rumors of such since maybe early 2008?  It seems so long ago, but I was always looking for that ultimate UMPC device that I could tinker around with because I hated lugging my laptops around.  My failed attempts at getting any keyboard to interface with my (hacked)PSP2000 (Sept 2007), led me to scour the internet for better, integrated UMPC type devices.  

So I eventually stumbled upon the Pandora, I think it was on another website GP2x.something...not sure now, but I've been almost a daily reader of these forums since they started.  Please don't think of me as some leacherous voyeur or something...I've just always been fascinated with the whole project in general.  Sometimes it's like reading a soap-opera, full of twists-and-turns.  There are some incredibly bright and talented people on these forums, and a few loose screws which makes it all interesting.  As an "outsider" (at the time) I even found Craig's mental meltdowns a bit humourous - although I DO understand how his actions/inactions may have "damaged" the overall success of this endeavor.  Holding this device in my hands now, I even have to say thanks to Craig for being a/the catalyst for getting this thing started at least...and of course a big thanks to Mr Weston, Evil Dragon, Fatih and (others?) who have contributed so much towards this project.  For ME, it was worth it....although I didn't have to sink a couple hundred grand into the project.   ;)  

I was just NEVER the type of person to "preorder" anything.  I like to know if a product is in stock, and even when production resumed I was almost about to bite on the Rebirth Edition (early last year), when Craig announced the 1GHz version.   Sooooo, I waited some more, saw how that whole process unfolded (again)...and I just said to myself - WAIT, until Link has them in stock in the U.S.  So, a big thanks goes out Link for the excellent customer service here.  I think he was at that PAX-East thing but he somehow managed to ship my unit the morning after I placed the order.  Amid a snowstorm no-less!  My beautiful, silver Pandora is finally here!  Well, I now have a lot of reading and researching to do.  I'm cognizant of the learning curve and potential setbacks but I like challenges and I do believe that I can get what I want out of this devious like none other that I have owned.  We'll see...if I have any questions, FIRST I will "RTFM", then I might ask a question or two.  And who knows?  Maybe in time I'll be able to be a contributor to a community that has entertained me for so long.  PEACE!

-Frank

I was just NEVER the type of person to "preorder" anything.
I never pre-order stuff either, because when I used to things had a tendency to go horribly wrong. Like Amazon changing a games product number just before the launch date and not updating your order with the new number, so that instead of getting your game on launch day you get it a month later after having sent numerous emails. </rant> :)

My pre-ordered Pandora 1GHz finally arrived today...  hooray!

I'm calling it tichy after Stanislaw Lem's hero in "The Star Diaries" - the best sci-fi I've read.

I think it might be the last one in the delayed batch of 1GHz pre-orders from Craig's shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, I've actually been a Pandora owner for some years now but never really used it a lot. Now I started to play around with it again and it's fun!
However, I have a *very* simple question that, for some reason, I couldn't find an answer for. So I hope it's not too simple or stupid to ask here in the forum:

How do I search files on the Pandora?
For instance, I want to find all files with *.MP3 on my sd card? Or something like *Novel*.jpg? How do I do that?

I want to post on this thread but my Pandora from USA still doesn't arrive to Germany (5/6 weeks by now...).

And after that, It have to come to Spain...

Hi there, I've actually been a Pandora owner for some years now but never really used it a lot. Now I started to play around with it again and it's fun!
However, I have a *very* simple question that, for some reason, I couldn't find an answer for. So I hope it's not too simple or stupid to ask here in the forum:

How do I search files on the Pandora?
For instance, I want to find all files with *.MP3 on my sd card? Or something like *Novel*.jpg? How do I do that?
find / -name "*.mp3"
You can replace / with a more direct path.

I like another method:
Code:
updatedb
locate -i "*.mp3"

The previous code creates a database of all the files you have, the second command just query that database.
Naturally files added after the "updatedb" will not be found, and file deleted after that will still be found !!
So it's up to you to decide if it's the case to update before locating, or not.
The good point anyway is that using just "locate" is super fast compared to "find", and it's great if you have to do many different searches.

EDIT:
Oh, by the way there's also Midnight Commander in the repo

EDIT:
Damn, it's so strange that Thunar doesn't have a search function o_O

Last edited:
Thanks - that worked!
I also tried Midnight Commander. Pretty cool. Is it possible to view the files with external programs from there?

Thanks - that worked!
I also tried Midnight Commander. Pretty cool. Is it possible to view the files with external programs from there?

The simple answer is YES, it is a powerful tool, but this depends on what you want to open, it could be super easy or super tricky, anyway it can have all the things you are used to, like extension associations, preferred editors, preferred folders, menus with custom actions, etc...
It's a huge argument and there's already a lot of documentation around the internet (it still anyway doesn't cover everything, because hugeness XD)

Simple example to launch an external program on a file, first put the cursor on the file, and then just write the command followed by a "%f":
Code:
vim %f

This will open the selected file with an external editor (VIM).

I see I have a lot to learn. :)
If I use this "piv %f" on a picture, nothing happens. How can make it simply use the pandora image viewer?

I see I have a lot to learn. :)
If I use this "piv %f" on a picture, nothing happens. How can make it simply use the pandora image viewer?

I'll have to give a look at that, but I have no panda with me at the moment...

Just consider this, PNDs works in their own environment, so to launch some programs you must use the full path (example: /usr/bin/theprogramtolaunch), also the same for the HOME directory, that it isn't the system wide one... so for example, if smplayer had already some saved config, while launched from inside the PND it will not find it, and instead it will create a new one.

EDIT:
so, @Novel , I finally found the time to try this out, and in this case you can use a command like this to open the selected file in the active tab:
Code:
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p "/media/mySD/pandora/apps/piv.wb.pnd" -e "run" -b "piv" -- %d/%f

(just change the path for your piv PND installation)
This command is visibly long, but you have many choices to make it easier to use:

1) Use the history of MC... after you launch a command you can recall it with ALT+h (or ESC+h)
2) Make a bash script with that command so you'll just have to give the image (Example: piv %d/%f)
3) Add a command in the custom MC menu (the one that opens with F2)
4) Set to open the image extensions with PIV in MC configuration file
5) ...
6) profit ! XD

I told it's a huge argument ;)

Last edited:
Back