Ok so maybe I'm a windows dummy

Cruellty

Still Fresh
I want to try and get my Pandora working, I'd like to just get it back to default state and work on it from there.

Before you type it, yes I have searched high and low. I was told to "download this zip" as first step.... except I couldn't find a zip. I tried this thread https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/ready-to-flash-firmware-image.51665/ but where is the zip I should download?

I really have tried to search and figure it out, I'm just not getting it. if I click the official support page, it just takes me to an order site for Pandora.

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry if I am a dummy, I really am trying to figure this out. But I'm getting nowhere..
[doublepost=1459505463,1459504902][/doublepost]I could not expand on this because I was told it was spam

@Cruellty: Even if it might be a dumb question or has been talked about elsewhere, never be afraid to ask it once you've done a search and can't figure out the answer. Personally, I'd much rather help another user get through a problem that has been talked about countless times rather than let someone be stuck on a solvable problem with their unit.

EDIT: Let us know if you have any more trouble. :)

I went with what I could find. You folks have put me on the path and I was able to reflash, put on n the manager,and I thank you for it. Hopefully I will be able to get my tiny little box up again. I am noob to this stuff.

I went with what I could find. You folks have put me on the path and I was able to reflash, put on n the manager,and I thank you for it. Hopefully I will be able to get my tiny little box up again. I am noob to this stuff.
You will do fine so long as you don't rush and follow the advice from people in the know.

As long as you are polite and respectful, we are all more than happy to help.

** P.s. Maybe take some of us with a pinch of salt... I for one am often brutally impudent.... where it's due.

if it's inexplicable, best you look the other way

I have my reasons, and they are good ones.
Getting too close to me is very very dangerous.

See? I am nice actually... I'm even warning you ahead of time.

@Cruellty You did your footwork on this one, and not doing that is the major complaint people have of those asking "stupid" questions that have been asked many times before. With the firmware it is very confusing, since every new version has instructions and they don't always get updated to what is current.

Also, don't feel like being a Windows dummy is a bad thing. There are current and recovering Windows dummies here, and despite what I and others think, *nix isn't for everyone, and when it is many users will still only be users and not know how to do many things. It is wonderful that you tried to figure it out yourself, and that is something I love for people to do, but if you are confused or run into a problem ask for help. If someone says something bad about you, remember that they also used to be a newbie. I have been doing stuff like this most of my life and still feel like I have no clue what I am doing far too often.

Yeah, being a Windows guy is nothing to be ashamed of. Using Linux for the first time (or even the first umpteen times) will be complex and unfamiliar, because that's what Linux is. Fortunately, just prefixing your google searches with "Linux problem " and then the issue you're having will, 99 times out of 100, produce answers for you - or at least swathes of people who are also having the same problem - because there are so many people that have the same problems in the beginning. There's even forums out there dedicated to helping people to get started with Linux and help when it breaks.

I moved to Linux a few years ago and I love it dearly, but it's most definitely not a beginner's OS and requires quite a lot of commitment on your part to learn how it works and why it breaks.

I'm a windows guy and happy to admit it. I code for the Pandora (and soon the Pyra), but I'll never be a Linux fan.

Bloody linux. I've got an app running in OpenGL that's fine when run from the IDE. Run it from a terminal though, and I just get a black window. Gah.

Bloody linux. I've got an app running in OpenGL that's fine when run from the IDE. Run it from a terminal though, and I just get a black window. Gah.
Is this through code::blocks PND, because most likely the depending libraries exist on the PND. If it's some odd thing on your desktop then who knows...

Try that Command before running your OpenGL Application in Terminal :)
Code:
export LIBGL_FB=1

This is in a fully updated Linux Mint 17.3 running Lazarus/FPC. A royal PITA, but fixed now I include my own libGL.so and use that instead - seems the version installed in the default library path is a tad old, despite what the package manager says...

I'd like to thank everyone. I've got multiple projects on my plate, so I'm slow to finish them. I can build rocking boxes, tweaking bios, and understand some of the intricacies of Windows. I used to have elaborate watercooling setups before that became much less of an issue.I did have a few emulators running at one time on my Pandora, but I wanted to try and get a little more current. Eventually, I'd like to integrate my Pandora with multicopters,(real applications, like business security surveillance, surveying, and permitted media source, not looking in people's windows.) I'm not a football fan, but once caught a small piece of an NFL game where the network was using them for closer looks at the team. I saw the shadow on the ground.

And believe you me, I actually want to use a cli when I can, but I was never good at dos, which shares a few commands . Some Linux commands I have seen are mystifying to me, even if I think I may know what they do.

I'm on my way for now. Thank you all again.

Edit was for clarification and a typo. I'm sure there is another typo or 3 and maybe my grammar wasn't correct.

Last edited:
@Cruellty: I can highly recommend learning about the CLI if you want to get a better understanding of how linux works. It's a very rewarding experience and helped me back in the day when I made the switch from windows. The CLI, also often called shell, tty or simply bash, has many different use cases which will surprise most people who haven't touched a command line since DOS days. Bash (bourne again shell) is the most common variant for desktop linux and almost all flavors come with it (even mac os x has bash built in).

here is a great page to learn about bash and scripting in bash.

http://ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial

not only is it great to automate tasks with script and knowing how to chain together commands, learning about the CLI will make you understand the basics about linux like the directory tree, how the kernel works with the system, what parts comprise the actual system, how users, logins and permissions work etc.

check it out!

Back