New nubs: Almost there! (2010-08-30)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick message we got from the Nub company: The new nubs that have been produced and tested last week were already more stable than the ones we had before.

They are doing a bit more tweaking and have new prototypes ready within the next few days that will be tested anew.

We're getting there. If all goes well, Mass Production for the new nubs can probably start at the beginning of next week :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1-4552411-9245-t.jpg

I'm guessing that means that the failure rate of the new ones coming off of the production line is also lower, ED? (I recall you saying before that a few were bad, prior to the small number that slipped through the net, so to speak. Do pardon me if I'm misremembering, though. :) )

If so (and I'm guessing it is so :p ), that's fantastic news.

As we speaking about nubs a few questions pop-up in my mind :)

• You (OPT) said that nubs will be available as separate part. On other side, nubs need mcu controller. Will be this controller sold with those nubs (together with proper wiring schema)?
  • Is there any chance that controller's code will be released to public? It can lead even to simplify PCB for Pandora and ICP, because one mcu could be used instead two separate, if two nubs sits abreast.
  • When will be good time to ask revision (and repair if necessary) broken nubs? My start wobble an right one grind a little. Nothing critical, so I can wait till they will broke completely or till You have new nubs and bit more time for such things.

As far as I am aware the MCU is built into the actual nub itself.

Not too sure where I read this, but am sure it was either ED or MW.

If I am incorrect please feel free to correct me :)

We will have them as a spare part but only when we know they are 100%. I'm happy that they are pushing on and improving the quality quickly so we can deliver a more solid product because when the nubs are working properly they work really well.

Now the LCD cable seems to be stable and the nubs are about to get there we're moving towards a solid MP device which makes me very happy.

I'm guessing that means that the failure rate of the new ones coming off of the production line is also lower, ED? (I recall you saying before that a few were bad, prior to the small number that slipped through the net, so to speak. Do pardon me if I'm misremembering, though. :) )

That was the main reason we immediately let the nub production company work on a solution:

From the first 400 boards, 20 - 25% had broken nubs (in various fragrances - from not-working at all (we sent them back) to almost working (those were the famous one-nubber-devices)).

While it was a lucky thing so many people didn't care about the nubs that much and wanted a one-nubber, this was not the final solution.

From the tested ones, only a few failed. Not too many, but we still want to have them rock-solid, so testing was only meant as a workaround.

Sounds like great news. Hopefully I might at last see my Pandora in a few more weeks. I don't honestly know how I've managed to last this long without going crazy, but the thought having a great little device like this has just kept me going.

Let's hope I get my Pandora (550-650) before my trip to the US on October 3rd. It's looking good now, hopefully no more delays from now on.

I've actually spent some time with my Pandora over this weekend setting up this press SD card, trying most software, fixing little issues, and I can tell you it has come on in leaps and bounds software wise in the last few months. It is worth the wait, it's a real micro computer and I'm still surprised by it every time I try the new software.

I'm impressed by it and I've been on the ride all along, so once we fix these last small hardware issues it's all going to be even better.

Slightly off-topic, do pardon me, but how's the press SD Card coming along? It sounds like it would be a fun thing to set up, somehow. :p

^ Oh, I've seen the thread. I'm just wondering what actually got picked to go into it. :p

Back