New Notice On Korean Gp2x Site.

SlackwareLinux posted on Dec 15 2005 at 06:43 AM said:
Gamers Galaxy posted on Dec 14 2005 at 09:08 PM said:
So uh might be a stupid question but how do you extend the battery life with firmware updates?

Not that stupid :)

The GameParks current firmware is running the hardware at 100%, 24/7. This incudes the TV Encoder Chip, the Second Processer, and most likely a whole slew of multimedia functions. These chips are not needed, and can be scaled down when not in use to save battery life.

The menu for example most likely only needs about 100 MHz off the first core, but it is running right now with both cores at 200MHz. Also, the TV encoder is running, and when it is turned off it should get at least 15 minutess or so of extra battery life.

Also, for the movies, I think much of that is handeled by the mutlimedia co-processers. This means the second core can most likely be toned down a little.

And... the GP2x includes a uber-hidden AMD 64 processor. It is running at 100%, and is currently unused. This is currently hidden in the sound card, and will be revealed at next year's E3 and smash all competeors, including Sony and Nintendo. This will make the GP2x not only the most powerful handheld gaming console, but the most powerful console in the world! :lol:

Ok.. not really.. :(

Anyways, I hope this was a tad informative.

Are they gonna hurry up with that?!?!....My batteries were sucked of power last night, I was only using it a few hours with music...the batteries are on their 'last legs' and can't play movies now!!....I need that Firmware update ASAP...At least until i get a Power whatsit!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Err... I hate to rain on this parade, but SlackwareLinux is actually wrong :D

The 2nd core does not run when you are in the menu, although it does run when running the media player. Also, the TV encoder chip is not enabled at any time. It is true that the encoder does take an extra 200mA or so when enabled (but this may be because we haven't programmed it correctly).

There are some things that can be done to reduce battery drain, and the main one is reducing the clock speed that the CPU runs at... but there are no silver bullets that will magically make 1800mAh batteries last 10 hours :)

I can confirm the hidden AMD64 processor, which is the reason for the rubber pads on top of the CPU. Devs are working to enable it, which will allow Quake 4 to run at 75FPS when fully operational, although the battery life in that case will be approximately 24 seconds.

Quake 4 is OK... there are better games.... in fact GP2X is better than Quake 4 :p LOL.

I am biased tho... I prefer emu's and classics.

Back