New Lik-sang Article On Gp2x

I'm already working on Ur-Quan Masters, but it's going to be delayed a little because of this.

If you want to try and get it out quicker, then feel free. I'd be happy to help with any questions.

Aha! A fellow Canberran. Ur-Quan Masters is a lower priority for me. I am more interested in extending the concept of Liquid War battles into a strategy game. I was hoping that Ur-Quan Masters with a simple cross-compile would work (I haven't looked very far into the code). Hopefully GCC 4.0's improved software floating point ops on ARM will make it playable.

Last edited by a moderator:
What liksang did forget to say was they were unable to get stock even if they wanted it, as there are no more units until January 2006.
So does this mean that no matter where I try to order from, there's basically no chance I'll get one before Christmas? Because if so, then that pretty much solves my dillemma entirely.

You will be able to get one from gp2x.co.uk. gp2x.de and gp32z.com because we have all reserved stock from the second batch (start of dec), but gamepark are not taking anymore orders until 2006 as far as i understand (so they can fix the SD errors).

-Craig

I'm still waiting for my pre-order copy but to be honest the issues that everyone keeps going on about don't bother me. Part of the enjoyment of having a GP32 was trying to figure out how to get things to work on it properly!

Addressing the issues will make the involvement with the machine more satisfiying in my opinion.

no offense but I find that kinda stupid.

when I buy a unit I expect it to work without hassle or alot of bugs. not "trying to figure how to fix it" but that's my opinion.

tho I do give liksang credit for listing the faults with the unit as other sellers will not do that

but 28 SECOND BOOT TIME?!!!

WTF.

Come on digitaljez , dont shoot someone down like that because you dont agree with their opinions.

I read that positive thread and yeah i cant wait to try out the things this person has as at the moment i've been totally underwhelmed by the GP2X and the problems etc. But out of all the threads and people i've read about here theres one or two positive threads and a ton of negative ones.
I have to agree I came over a little harshly but the entire post just seemed like a mass of uninformed conjecture, assumptions and contradictions. As he has left it the GP2X is, according to him, both a great thing and a crappy device that is buggy and unstable. I can't see how that amounts to an opinion - its either one or the other of those things.

Also, what is with the vitriolic attack on Game Park ? Using the old ' don't think of a pink elephant' technique (where the reader has to think of a pink elephant in order to make sense of the sentence) he has tried to make an association between Game Park and evil. How many people would have spontaniously linked Game Park and evil prior to reading that. How many do now ? What was the point ?

I am just concerned that because Lik-Sang have made a public announcement based on the moaners on boards like this one ( even if it is to cover up their inability to get stock ) the GP2X might never make it to the official release. If there are legitimate concerns they should come from people who have the unit not people who have just had their order cancelled. That way we would end up with more accurate information.

Did you read the article ??
They said they are not prepared to ship em to customers, They never said anything bad about the GP2X at all, They just reported problems that users have reported, They then point out where to get one now if you are happy with the faults, They then also said that at least two of there employees have already ordered one each.

For me at the moment LS have come out of this looking more professional than they did before.

Of course I read the article. How can you consider 'If this would be about Nintendo or Sony, the press would be using the keyword "scandal", you'd seriously be asking if the company behind wants to commit commercial suicide and by now you'd have at least a President or CEO who resigned "for personal reasons"' to be anything but negative? Plus their list of 'hardware and software faults' was simply padded out for no good reason...I've only encountered about 4 or 5 of the problems and some are simply a matter of personal preference rather than a genuine design fault (joystick deadzone, button placement etc).

I'm not saying Lik Sang were wrong to inform their customers of the faults and hold back on shipping - they were burnt pretty badly by the whole BLU+ mess after all - but that article is doing GPH and themselves a great disservice. They're going to get very few orders after this one.

Lets also keep in mind Lik sang was like one of the last and least enthusiastic people to sign on as a retailer for the GP2X. They simply wern't all that interested untill people pestered them, the list of "fault" is an out for them so they can avoid dealing with it again, atleast untill it starts looking more lucrative for them.

It's like if you're getting set up on a date with what you think might be an ugly girl, and then hearing she stubbed her toe and you quickly say "Aw, shame. guess we can't go out" and running out the door before anyone can correct you.

lol I originally had my order with them but cancelled and went with GBAX. I'm damned glad I did now.

Edit: Whenever I hear "Second Edition" I think "Windows 98" for some reason. *pukes*

I am just concerned that because Lik-Sang have made a public announcement based on the moaners on boards like this one ( even if it is to cover up their inability to get stock ) the GP2X might never make it to the official release. If there are legitimate concerns they should come from people who have the unit not people who have just had their order cancelled. That way we would end up with more accurate information.

Well we'll never know the full truth but i cant believe its because of people not being happy on this board. I was probably one of the 'moaners' but i think anyone has a right to moan if they get something which isnt working properly.

Yes i've been a bit naive, my fault in a way for getting one instantly, in weeks/months to come it'll probably be fine with no problems. And yes i was a bit naive to think it'll be perfect, Gamepark arent some huge corporation like Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft etc.

I mean look at Microsoft and the new X Box 360, tons of problems there. Then again some X Box fans might say the problems are overblown. I'm sure the Playstation I and other machines had similar teething problems to begin with, i remember the original Sinclair ZX81 i think had some major problems when that was released.

But good point about Lik Sang, like you say if they had tons of complaints fair enough, but if theyre panicking as theyve read reports then thats a bit OTT perhaps.

Either way in the future i think its all gonna be alright.

I'm still waiting for my pre-order copy but to be honest the issues that everyone keeps going on about don't bother me. Part of the enjoyment of having a GP32 was trying to figure out how to get things to work on it properly!

Addressing the issues will make the involvement with the machine more satisfiying in my opinion.

I agree with the other poster, find what you have said surely not serious ?

Whenever i buy a TV, video, game etc i dont want it to have any bugs/issues. Part of the enjoyment for me is NOT trying to work out how to put some Ikea bed equipment together when i'm missing 5 screws and 2 panels. Or how to get the video to record when the instructions dont seem to work.

If companies wanted me to get 'more involved' with the product (as its not working properly) then give me a discount ! This isnt a moan about the GP2X or anything but if i've paid for something i expect it to be in a fully working order.

I dont know ANYONE who has ever bought a computer/gadget/TV and is quite excited that they have a buggy unit and have to do some workarounds on it !

WELL DONE LIK-SANG. I think that is the best thing I've heard about the GP2X hardware . At the moment the hardware is not up to normal public use. Joe Public will not put up with the issues regarding the hardware. Plus this newly added pressure should insure GPH release a better all round unit.
Also this give coders more time to release and test all the great software they are producing. So when the hardware is released for Joe Public they will be blown away by the awesom software this amazing hardware has to offer.

Big thanks to all the coders, you should all give yourselfs a pat on the back. The rest of us should keep testing the software and hardware. And keep reporting our findings here on these forums so both GPH and the coders can see what needs to be done. I believe in the end this will make a better GP2X for all. And isn't that what we all want.

I'm happy, that I don't ordered at Lik-Sang were I wanted to order first... and now I ordered from GBAX.

The news they wrote is true but it's actually no reason not to sell it anyway to users who really want it, even with (software) bugs.

I read the article at LIksang, and itself sounded to me like a negative forum post; a immature negative opinion without important information, excusing thier inability to fullfill orders. Ironicly, with thier apparent resentment toward the GP2X and Gamepark holdings, the GP2X is still showcased on thier front page and what adverts do you see flashing all over our forum here? Childish. Anyway, I can't wait till I receive mine. I'm obsessed with it ha. As for problems, I see that they're doing thier best to fix them. Therefore it's a matter of chosing to order now, later or not at all, BUT I can't wait (OBSESSION!!) so I'll deal with pre-release bugs. Mr CraigXtreme apears to have awesome confidence in these units, especially after testing them.

I wonder though If he tests for the USB bug in windows xp?

However, I'm a little bit bothered by descriptions of the GPX2 including "emulators for nes, snes.." and etc. - Are we waiting for these emulators from third party homebrew enthusiasts? if so, its not very nice that the descriptions of the console talk about things that are infact NOT included with it.

Oh and one more note: Its a bit of a misconception to call emulators *Emulators* and to assume that thier goal is to fully emulate physical hardware. they are infact Virtualizers, providing a playable representation of a given game. The "emulators" being developed to play XBOX games on a PC infact convert a game's code so that it may run nativly. N64 emulators were first developed and played at playable speeds before 1Gz Processors and 128Mb video cards existed...remember that

hmm I am wondering... What about play-asia.com?

They still have the GP2x there for preorder for the release November 2005(heck it's almost december!)...

I guess they will take actions next, too bad GPH screwed it. however I am glad to recieve my gp2x early next week :D

hmm I am wondering... What about play-asia.com?

They still have the GP2x there for preorder for the release November 2005(heck it's almost december!)...

I guess they will take actions next, too bad GPH screwed it. however I am glad to recieve my gp2x early next week :D

I sent play-asia an email. They say that they ordered a long time ago, and was told that they would get their stock in november, but they have not heard abything about a date yet. (This was November 22th)

I cancelled my order and went for someone else, cause I'm highly suspeiciuos that they wont get stock until January 1st.

Oh and one more note: Its a bit of a misconception to call emulators *Emulators* and to assume that thier goal is to fully emulate physical hardware. they are infact Virtualizers, providing a playable representation of a given game. The "emulators" being developed to play XBOX games on a PC infact convert a game's code so that it may run nativly. N64 emulators were first developed and played at playable speeds before 1Gz Processors and 128Mb video cards existed...remember that

I'm 'so sure' that everyone will remember that and always call them virtualizers from now on instead of emulators ! :D

lik-sang said:
unless you are beta tester for Gill Bates

I hope that was on purpose, and besides, what does Bill Gates (or Gill Bates, as they say here) have to do with anything?

(I bet he's got three)

This is why I never will ever order something from lik-myballs-sang. They suck, they are overpriced, and they are noturious for doing stuff like this. If I ever wanted to import something I'de find a specialty site or use play-asia.com
Never ever use lik-myballs-sang.com

Back