New Lik-sang Article On Gp2x

Lik-sang is just covering their ass. They figured that they won't get units on time anyway and considering all the issues popping up, it could be headache to deal with possible returns due to those issues. So, they made the decision to bash GP2x at the cost of ruininig the relationship with GPH. It's nothing more or less than a calculated business decision which they entitled to make.
Not really. They informed their customers why they couldn't sell the GP2X, yet, and even pointed them to other online shops where they could get it right now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't blame Lik-Sang for this really... with all the concerns about the system (which has even bothered a lot of people here on GP32X, which is supposed to be full of FANS of the system), I can understand why they would want to wait. If they ship hundreds (thousands?) of these to customers, and a whole bunch of them complain about stuff that Lik-Sang has no control over, then they're in a bit of a tight spot, and then even more people will be bitching about the GP2X across the net, causing even more problems for the system.

I'm still disappointed though... I was willing to put up with the minor hardware problems and wait out the software fixes, but now it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere to order, as Lik-Sang will probably be waiting a while before they feel comfortable selling this. :(

Digitalrat said:
Second Edition means something completly different than second version in this term. Second edition just means that it's the same unit with software and maybe hardware fixes.
Right, but does GPH plan on making any hardware changes? Or will the units sold a year from now still have problems with headphone jacks? Shipping with different firmware which I could have just installed myself is hardly my idea of a second edition.

Basically, if they DO plan on altering the hardware (even just minor stuff like loose headphone jacks), then waiting a month or two isn't THAT big a deal... if they don't, then I might as well just order from someone else right now and at least have some fun with it before upgrading the firmware myself at a later date.

--Zero

I don't blame Lik-Sang for this really... with all the concerns about the system (which has even bothered a lot of people here on GP32X, which is supposed to be full of FANS of the system), I can understand why they would want to wait. If they ship hundreds (thousands?) of these to customers, and a whole bunch of them complain about stuff that Lik-Sang has no control over, then they're in a bit of a tight spot, and then even more people will be bitching about the GP2X across the net, causing even more problems for the system.

I'm still disappointed though... I was willing to put up with the minor hardware problems and wait out the software fixes, but now it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere to order, as Lik-Sang will probably be waiting a while before they feel comfortable selling this. :(

Digitalrat said:
Second Edition means something completly different than second version in this term. Second edition just means that it's the same unit with software and maybe hardware fixes.
Right, but does GPH plan on making any hardware changes? Or will the units sold a year from now still have problems with headphone jacks? Shipping with different firmware which I could have just installed myself is hardly my idea of a second edition.

Basically, if they DO plan on altering the hardware (even just minor stuff like loose headphone jacks), then waiting a month or two isn't THAT big a deal... if they don't, then I might as well just order from someone else right now and at least have some fun with it before upgrading the firmware myself at a later date.

--Zero

Well, I can't say much more than Zero.... my order just got cancelled as well... I consider buying one from ED now...
But it would be really interesting to know if they are going to fix the speaker or whatever hardware issue there is in the "revision" of the gp2x, which means the official released unit... cause if not, I'm definately going to buy one right away, just like my forespeaker ;D

I think it is for the best. You really don't want these buggy units to get out there into the mainstream in this condition. They don't even come fully assembled! The DIY screen cover installation is bound to get bad reviews. While most of us don't care some will.

A delay is easy to forget after the unit is out. Buggy hardware/software would curse it forever (I STILL hear of BLU+ issues even though it has been worked around).

Hmm. They're really shooting themselves in the foot here - how many orders do they expect to get if they write up such a damning 'report' of the console? They might have been attempting to justify their decision to pull out, but they went WAY too far in doing so.

I mean, I totally understand why they're doing this - they did get burnt by the whole BLU+ mess, after all - but it seems a little unnecessary to cancel all preorders and publically slam both console and company because of a few teething problems.

Oh well, Lik Sang's loss is GBAx/ED/GP32z's gain, I guess!

I think it is for the best. You really don't want these buggy units to get out there into the mainstream in this condition. They don't even come fully assembled! The DIY screen cover installation is bound to get bad reviews. While most of us don't care some will.

A delay is easy to forget after the unit is out. Buggy hardware/software would curse it forever (I STILL hear of BLU+ issues even though it has been worked around).
Agreed. GPH should never have released it in its current state.

I agree that LikSang acts a little dodgy for a "big" business. But I guess they at least said that the other distrubtors test them to make sure you get a good one.

Wow...I doubt they even tested the GP2X. Shouldn't they at least give the customer a choice to cancel their order? MOst of it is firmware, and I've never even heard any of the so called "hardware" problems they listed.

They asked in fact all their customers if they want to keep their preorder until a second edition is out, or if they want to cancel and rather want to get one from GBAx/ED/GP32z from the first edition.

Only preorders who were paid were cancelled and a refund issued, as it said in their email. They didn't want to keep the money until next year, which I personally consider as a good move from Lik Sang. I may post the email once I get to work and have access to my email account.

IMHO it's not Lik Sang who went to far, it's GPH. They shot themselves in the foot here by releasing in such an unstable condition. Apart from a few of us who will have to get a GP2X in a rush from someone else now, lots of people who preordered are very happy about their decision and pointing out the problems.

GP2X had and will have a lot of good press coverage all over the world (just subscribe to Google News Alerts and you will see), think about all these people who get into it for Linux or the PMP side of this. It's been a business decision for Gamepark to release a crappy device like this (buggy and unstable), a bad business decision that shows once more (after all these years) that they have great people to design great devices, but that they just suck business-wise. I agree that mistakes happen and things go wrong, but if you put the facts together, they knew about it and still gave green light for manufacturing and shipping. And I am convinced that Craig and ED didn't really plan to spend their Christmas here on the forums convincine people that it's all good, and working through all these nights testing and fixing consoles. Craig even gets insulted for GPHs mistakes and if you check the forum a bit, you may realise that he is in deep sh*t just because of them. I am sure he rather thought this christmas will be fun coding on the new system, but not this...

All this having said, I am patiently waiting for GP2X and I will stick around. I don't want to say they are evil people at GPH or so, but if you rewind the past few years, you'll see that they are just not professional at selling their stuff, and things like these are the reasons for it. On the other hand, there systems just rock and that's what saved their ass already a couple of times. Good people like Entware, GBAx, ED, Lik Sang and all the others have saved their ass also already a couple of times.

My 2 cents. I'll better shut up now and get out. :p

What liksang did forget to say was they were unable to get stock even if they wanted it, as there are no more units until January 2006.

That might not really make any difference because the reason they could not get stock was because they didn't place an order a couple of months back when they were supposed to - and presumably that is when they decided not to stock it. Took a while to explain things though.

Hmm. They're really shooting themselves in the foot here - how many orders do they expect to get if they write up such a damning 'report' of the console? They might have been attempting to justify their decision to pull out, but they went WAY too far in doing so.

I mean, I totally understand why they're doing this - they did get burnt by the whole BLU+ mess, after all - but it seems a little unnecessary to cancel all preorders and publically slam both console and company because of a few teething problems.

Oh well, Lik Sang's loss is GBAx/ED/GP32z's gain, I guess!

Did you read the article ??
They said they are not prepared to ship em to customers, They never said anything bad about the GP2X at all, They just reported problems that users have reported, They then point out where to get one now if you are happy with the faults, They then also said that at least two of there employees have already ordered one each.

For me at the moment LS have come out of this looking more professional than they did before.

a crappy device like this (buggy and unstable)....... you may realise that he is in deep sh*t just because of them.
Yet another tosser, who hasn't even got one, making things sound terrible when they are not. Read this from someone who has one - How Much Fun Have I Had!!

HTF have you come to that conclusion about Craigix ? Everyone around appreciates all he has done to bring us the GP2X. I certainly haven't found any suggestion that he is in trouble over this on these boards. I just hope he's made a profit from it.
All this having said, I am patiently waiting for GP2X and I will stick around
I am neither pleased or interested to know this.
My 2 cents. I'll better shut up now and get out. :p
Pity you didn't decide that before you typed that pile of unfounded crap.

Sorry everyone. It's late, I'm tired. I'm just sick of all the negativity - especially when it comes from people who just seem to be embellishing on stuff they've read and have no first hand experience of the GP2X.

Hi digitaljez. I am sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone please do not understand this post wrong. By typing I already knew that some people will not be on the same page as me.

What I typed is not unfounded, I have been "with Gamepark" for 5 years now, I have access to samples of the GP2X and I have been there when Gamepark went bankrupt before. I have personally met many of past and present Gamepark employees and I am a professional in the videogames business. What I am writing in these forums is my personal opinion (my 2 cents), and you don't need to agree with it.

Please do not get personal. If you read my message (again), you will understand that I am not saying that the GP2X is not a good device. It's a great thing.

You are a fanboy, and as such, your post still makes sense.

*runs*

Lik-sang is just covering their ass.  They figured that they won't get units on time anyway and considering all the issues popping up, it could be headache to deal with possible returns due to those issues.  So, they made the decision to bash GP2x at the cost of ruininig the relationship with GPH.  It's nothing more or less than a calculated business decision which they are entitled to make.
Not really. They informed their customers why they couldn't sell the GP2X, yet, and even pointed them to other online shops where they could get it right now!

Have you ever seen ANY retail stores posting public message saying they won't sell PS1 until Sony fixed the FMV skipping issue? How about any public statements from WalMart that they won't carry PS2 until it plays all DVDs properly? Retailers simply won't do it unless they are burning the bridge and ending the relationship.

I guess, they are banking on the idea that GPH will be desperate enough to beg them to carry it, and we'll see, how it's going to play out.

Anyone is free to live in his/her little fantasy world bubble, but in reality, Lik-sang did it for them, not you or me or anyone else. And, I'm not blaming them for it, because that's how things work and they have every right to do so.

What liksang did forget to say was they were unable to get stock even if they wanted it, as there are no more units until January 2006.
So does this mean that no matter where I try to order from, there's basically no chance I'll get one before Christmas? Because if so, then that pretty much solves my dillemma entirely.

They said they are not prepared to ship em to customers, They never said anything bad about the GP2X at all, They just reported problems that users have reported, They then point out where to get one now if you are happy with the faults, They then also said that at least two of there employees have already ordered one each.
Here's the email they sent me:
Lik Sang said:
Dear Brad Johnson,

You are receiving this e-mail because you have pre-ordered a GP2X at Lik-Sang.

Immediately following the recent release of the GP2X in Korea and the UK,
reports and posts cropped up by the hundreds around the Internet, highlighting
many inconsistencies and flaws with the final product.

We have therefore decided NOT to ship any units before the flaws are fixed,
which effectively means there will be no release at Lik-Sang before 2006.

Please read our full report on our web site:
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3742

In view of the above, we have cancelled your order and you will receive a
refund within 48h. We hope that this is satisfactory to you, because we simply
didn't want to hold your money for such a long time, especially with Christmas
coming up.

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this email.

Faithfully yours,

Your Lik-Sang Team
So yeah, according to them, they cancelled my pre-order because they believe that the GP2X is (currently) a poor product.

--Zero

Come on digitaljez , dont shoot someone down like that because you dont agree with their opinions.

I read that positive thread and yeah i cant wait to try out the things this person has as at the moment i've been totally underwhelmed by the GP2X and the problems etc. But out of all the threads and people i've read about here theres one or two positive threads and a ton of negative ones.

I'm shocked that the GP2X was released in this state, i mean for me i plugged in the USB lead all excited and waiting for something to happen and nothing. There are lots of other problems with it.

But i wouldnt say its all total doom and gloom but on the other hand i wouldnt say everything is perfect and people are being paranoid about problems etc.

I would be interested to know what it was like when the GP32 was released, i only got a GP32 in Aug 2004 and everything was fine, tons of emulators, worked brilliantly and i loved it.

So to me it was a bit of a shock to get this new device and read about all the problems etc. As long as future firmware updates solve all these i wont be too fussed but i'm worrying in case it wont.

As for Craig i hope hes making a fair bit of profit from this. Feel sorry for him as a lot of problems/moans arent meant to be directed at him, theyre really directed to Gamepark Holdings. If their product was bug free, no problems then everyone here would be happy as hell.

I'm sure in months to come everything will be cleared up but for me i'll never buy another device like this again until it gets a bit of a footing and things are working fine with it. The 'kid' in me though just wanted to get one straight away though !

I'm gonna grit my teeth and wait now patiently for the next few months where things should 'i hope' be much much clearer and things working fine etc etc, emulators out, TV Out working fine etc.

But i read that Lik Sang article and i do agree with a lot of what they said. For a company releasing a product as buggy and that as Gamepark Holdings did, i'm pretty shocked.

By the way i love the avatar ! I cant wait for a Speccy emulator to be released on this, i miss the Ultimate games !

So does this mean that no matter where I try to order from, there's basically no chance I'll get one before Christmas? Because if so, then that pretty much solves my dillemma entirely.

Here's the email they sent me:
Lik Sang said:
Dear Brad Johnson,

You are receiving this e-mail because you have pre-ordered a GP2X at Lik-Sang.

Immediately following the recent release of the GP2X in Korea and the UK,
reports and posts cropped up by the hundreds around the Internet, highlighting
many inconsistencies and flaws with the final product.

We have therefore decided NOT to ship any units before the flaws are fixed,
which effectively means there will be no release at Lik-Sang before 2006.

Please read our full report on our web site:
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3742

In view of the above, we have cancelled your order and you will receive a
refund within 48h. We hope that this is satisfactory to you, because we simply
didn't want to hold your money for such a long time, especially with Christmas
coming up.

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this email.

Faithfully yours,

Your Lik-Sang Team
So yeah, according to them, they cancelled my pre-order because they believe that the GP2X is (currently) a poor product.

--Zero

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you then. I need it by the 20th, else I would not order at all. So I'm trying my luck with play-asia.

I sent them an email, and they said that they have ordered, and GPH have told them that they will get the first round in November, however, they have not heard from them in a long while, so they are worried. So maybe they might be late. I've got one ordered there with express 2-3 day delivery.

I might have been tempted to grab a PSP, but I already spent $120AU on the batterys + charger plus an extra 1gig SD Card.

Well I was about to order from lik-sang as soon as it went off of pre-order. I can understand why they would want to pull the gp2x. They aren't a boutique supplier like cragix and it would be impractical to treat the gp2x differently from every other product in their store. I would remove 0.1% of my stock if it could prevent a lot of support calls, product returns and irritated customers. Lik-sang needs it's customers and it's reputation more than it needs the gp2x.

Though if what cragix said is true then the nay-sayers really helped lik-sang out of an embarrassing situation.

I think that buying a gp2x from craigix is low-risk. Craigix has consistently shown his commitment to customer service and his testing of units before shipping is what convinced me that his store is the one to choose. I'm not going to be blinded by the huge amounts of pessimism I've seen on this board. I've only heard of two consistent hardware problems (joystick and headphone jack) and they both seem very minor. It's not like these things are starting fires like an xbox.

If you wanted to use the gp2x as a movie player then it does seem sensible to wait until the firmware has been updated. However I just want to port The Ur-Quan Masters and Liquid War, I don't care about the current movie playback issues. So I'm putting in an order at gp2x.co.uk tonight.

Well I was about to order from lik-sang as soon as it went off of pre-order. I can understand why they would want to pull the gp2x. They aren't a boutique supplier like cragix and it would be impractical to treat the gp2x differently from every other product in their store. I would remove 0.1% of my stock if it could prevent a lot of support calls, product returns and irritated customers. Lik-sang needs it's customers and it's reputation more than it needs the gp2x.

Though if what cragix said is true then the nay-sayers really helped lik-sang out of an embarrassing situation.

I think that buying a gp2x from craigix is low-risk. Craigix has consistently shown his commitment to customer service and his testing of units before shipping is what convinced me that his store is the one to choose. I'm not going to be blinded by the huge amounts of pessimism I've seen on this board. I've only heard of two consistent hardware problems (joystick and headphone jack) and they both seem very minor. It's not like these things are starting fires like an xbox.

If you wanted to use the gp2x as a movie player then it does seem sensible to wait until the firmware has been updated. However I just want to port The Ur-Quan Masters and Liquid War, I don't care about the current movie playback issues. So I'm putting in an order at gp2x.co.uk tonight.

I'm already working on Ur-Quan Masters, but it's going to be delayed a little because of this.

If you want to try and get it out quicker, then feel free. I'd be happy to help with any questions.

Back