New Joystick Caps

TelcoLou posted on Apr 7 2006 at 12:41 AM said:
God huh? :lol:
It's not as glorious a position as you would think ... the pay sucks and the customers are worse ;)

BOT: I can't help but think GPH lifted the design from DaveC ... I'm sure they keep a watch on these and other forums ...

Dont know about you, but im having a blast :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
FluffyPanda posted on Apr 7 2006 at 08:42 AM said:
DaveC posted on Apr 7 2006 at 04:00 AM said:
I have even heard they will have something kind of cool on them that only could be done with a mold. I can't really say what as I don't have permission
Did you sign a non-disclosure agreement or something? No? Then give us all the natty detail!

Come on, we're all wondering exactly how much they ripped off your cap design and how exactly they think they might have made it more desirable.

If you know something then we demand answers, damnit! :p

I dont like how the 'higher ups' treacle the info down to us like honey on a string, just a bit at a time to keep us coming back.. just tell us already!

DaveC please don't stop with your caps. I was reading the thread about them yesterday and from the customer reviews you were gettting, I find it hard to believe that these new ones will be as good.

FluffyPanda posted on Apr 7 2006 at 10:42 AM said:
I have even heard they will have something kind of cool on them that only could be done with a mold. I can't really say what as I don't have permission
Did you sign a non-disclosure agreement or something? No? Then give us all the natty detail!

Well, it's not too hard to think of stuff that could be done with a mold and not on a lathe. My guess is that the stick will have small, err, nipples on it (like the joysticks on the smaller Xbox pad).

my guess is that it will have an 'X' molded into the top of a dave c cap

I have even heard they will have something kind of cool on them that only could be done with a mold.  I can't really say what as I don't have permission

Come on, we're all wondering exactly how much they ripped off your cap design and how exactly they think they might have made it more desirable.

I have heard a few things but I wasn't told that it could be disclosed. I will just have some etiquette here and let the parties involved disclose it when they want to as it is their thing, not mine. I only mentioned it because they gave a hint on the forum about it or I wouldn't have said anything at all.

You will know soon enough, and really, it is not that big of a deal ;)

FluffyPanda posted on Apr 6 2006 at 03:51 PM said:
Wolfsclaw posted on Apr 6 2006 at 02:13 PM said:
if its good i hope gp2x.de will stock them as well - the daveC cap i have always hits the left side, so i cant really press 'left' :/ so either i have to modify the cap all by myself or ima get one of these.
Probably an obvious suggestion, but have you tried rotating it 180 degrees?

It might be a slightly misdrilled hole coupled with a slightly misaligned joystick.

Yea, a thousand times :p
However, I'm still stupid. After making that post i thought about it and came finally to the real easy conclusion that a little piece of paper might do the job - it did!
what i did was to put a verrry small piece of paper in the hole of the cap, now it sits a little bit higher, which is perfect, because now it doesn't hit the left side of the gp2x no more, and it works PERFECTLY now =) ahh why didnt i have that thought earlier? :p

What I'd really like to see is something like DaveC's cap, but with a rubber coat over the top to give your thumb some real grip. I mean, DaveC's cap is a much better fit for your thumb than the default cap, but the default cap at least had ridges to catch your thumb on to provide friction and 'stick' without pressure. Other than that, I'd say DaveC hit the nail on the head as to how to best cap the existing stick, even if the stick is the real problem.

DaveC posted on Apr 6 2006 at 05:55 PM said:
I bet these caps will be similar to mine in design, they should give me a free GP2X for giving them the idea and saving their asses ;)

I wonder how much profit you made off of each sale of that retarded cap, not to mention the amount it cost to initally purchase a box of them.

Buying a box for 14 dollars, and selling each cap at that price isn't exactly, humble.

They were bright enough to design the device - I am quite sure they would be able to come up with a replacement. Though you are wrong in one sense, they are not going to use your idea...

They are actually going to sell it for a fair price.

DaveC didn't "purchase a box of them", he made each one by hand on a lathe, which makes the price pretty fair in my book. Do you have a lathe and the skills to use it? I don't.

You know, there are some people who actually appreciate DaveC for making these caps... If you'd like to bash his caps, maybe you'd like to design your own, eh? EH? If you don't like one, don't buy one. As for me, I'm going to go get one as soon as my dad gets the paypal thingy set up.

DaveC posted on Apr 7 2006 at 08:35 PM said:
I have even heard they will have something kind of cool on them that only could be done with a mold.  I can't really say what as I don't have permission

I have heard a few things but I wasn't told that it could be disclosed. I will just have some etiquette here and let the parties involved disclose it when they want to as it is their thing, not mine. I only mentioned it because they gave a hint on the forum about it or I wouldn't have said anything at all.

You will know soon enough, and really, it is not that big of a deal ;)

Well the real question is, is it going to be better then your stick?
Really I just want the best cap there is. If this new cap is going to be better then yours and cheaper then I am all for it (sorry for you though). I just really want my left back.

Crazy Goat posted on Apr 8 2006 at 09:01 PM said:
I bet these caps will be similar to mine in design, they should give me a free GP2X for giving them the idea and saving their asses ;)

I wonder how much profit you made off of each sale of that retarded cap, not to mention the amount it cost to initally purchase a box of them.

Buying a box for 14 dollars, and selling each cap at that price isn't exactly, humble.

They were bright enough to design the device - I am quite sure they would be able to come up with a replacement. Though you are wrong in one sense, they are not going to use your idea...

They are actually going to sell it for a fair price.
What's wrong with you? Let me go through the flaws of your post step-by-step.

1) He didn't buy a box of them, he made each one individually, with loving care. :)
2) GPH aren't bright. They're stumbling along. They're not really fit to maintain a handheld, which is why after it's purchased the community takes over.
3) He's selling them for $10 inc. del ($11 internationally), not $14.
4) It's worth the $11 I paid for it, and this includes delivery, labour and high quality material.
5) He was joking, notice the wink at the end of the post?

Crazy Goat posted on Apr 8 2006 at 09:01 PM said:
I would not be surprised if DaveC's idea was used.

It isn't exactly the same as DaveC's but it is about the same size (it has to be really to kill the dead zone).

It has a rough top with a gp2x logo and is made of nylon like DaveC's.

pics? will these be available to people who bought from gp32z as well? (speaking of them i havent got my free carry case STILL! lol)

It isn't exactly the same as DaveC's but it is about the same size (it has to be really to kill the dead zone).

Nylatron TM!

Loubear posted on Apr 9 2006 at 10:55 AM said:

Nylatron TM!

I believe it's NylatronGS™

Back