Gp2x Shortage?

Hippo

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I think the register article has caused a rush for the GP2X. I didnt know it existed until the reg article, even though Im into the emulation scene (mostly MAME)

I ordered a GP2X today from gp2x.co.uk and after the confirmation email recieved this one:

Hi XXXXXXXX,

Due to the exceptionally high demand for the 275 GP2X, there is a delay of 2/4 days in
despatching orders. You will receive a confirmation of shipping email on the day your
order is sent and it will arrive before 1pm the following day via Royal Mail Special
Delivery.

Kind regards
Jacquelyn

I wonder if they paid anything for that article on The Register, cos it looks like its paid off in sales.

Either that or everyone gets these emails and Im barking up the wrong tree.

Since they have to open each gp2x they receive and classify it as '275' and '240' there's a bit of manual work involved (presumably they have a procedure to test if it's stable at 275 that involves running some kind of stress test on it, and that takes time).

I imagine there's a risk to them also - if they get an order for 100 275's and only 10% of gp2x's go that fast they have to order 1000 of them to fulfil the orders - and then have to sell off the other 900 to stay in profit..

I only just got that email after querying the order.. it's good to know they're sending it out immediately now.

I think that all gp2x businnes is going straight to its cumulative point - or big chance. Revised mk2 model, 275mhz tested units, BOB,Payback and upcoming Christimas - NOW is the question. Can GP2X become well known product with growing and growing sales (of course not in the same mainstream as PSP and DS , but maybe as well known alternative to those two? ) - or will it remain niche product only for retro-gaming and emu fanatics....

Upcoming few months will decide. May the force be with us. :)

BOB? My wife says that stands for 'Battery Operated Boyfriend'. I'm pretty sure you can't get one of those for the gp2x :p

I don't think the gp2x will ever be really popular.. as long as it's popular enough for the manufacturers and distributors to make a resonable profit that is enough. It'd be nice if there were more commercial games for it but OTOH I'm not in the market for £30-£50 a game.. that's why I have a PSP that does nothing but play lumines...

GPH really should start putting together a Monster Pack with all the newest emulators and utility programs on it. You just download, unzip it, and put it on your SD card. That would fix a lot of problems I think.

Using it would be a sign of weakness though... ;)

If you are going to sell a bundle just have everything already on an SD card, they are cheap enough, saves people mucking about getting compatible cards to flash with, saves setting up the file structure.

Most of the stuff is easy enough if you do it a bit at a time but if I had to install all the new emulators the minute I first got the GP2X I would be forever reading read me's and forums, plus as soon as it mentions writing scripts I stop reading. Fill it up with the demo's for the commercial games as an extra bonus / advert. Chuck in some skins and the applications like the ebook readers etc. there is plenty of legal stuff your can give without ever having to mention ROMs.

If it worked out of the box it would be better but then how would learn new stuff?

Most of you obviously never have used Linux: this is basically what you do when you install and run Linux programs. You research on how to use it, what files you require, and then you go from there. If you have problems, you check the readme and then read Web Sites/forums/wiki/Google to see if there has been similar problems and then you post if you have no clue.

It's called the Linux experience.

Most of you obviously never have used Linux: this is basically what you do when you install and run Linux programs. You research on how to use it, what files you require, and then you go from there. If you have problems, you check the readme and then read Web Sites/forums/wiki/Google to see if there has been similar problems and then you post if you have no clue.

It's called the Linux experience.

nah ...

The Linux Experience
1) Want program
2) apt-get install <program>
3) wait a little while
4) Play with program!

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question for the people who use Linux as their main OS. The reason why I stick to Windows XP is because everything comes in a neat little package that you install, and then every program will supposedly run on it. No dependencies, no libraries that you must install and setup for every individual app to run. With Linux, it seems like the focus of its usage is tinkering, rather than using the applications that it provides. That's why I stayed off Linux until now.

And another thing, for some reason I got the impresison that most Linux apps use download installers, as in you cannot download an installer file and run that without having constant access to the internet during the installation process. I wanted to install linux on an old internet-less laptop, so that would be out of the question provided that this is the case.

- Alex

I have a question for the people who use Linux as their main OS. The reason why I stick to Windows XP is because everything comes in a neat little package that you install, and then every program will supposedly run on it. No dependencies, no libraries that you must install and setup for every individual app to run. With Linux, it seems like the focus of its usage is tinkering, rather than using the applications that it provides. That's why I stayed off Linux until now.

And another thing, for some reason I got the impresison that most Linux apps use download installers, as in you cannot download an installer file and run that without having constant access to the internet during the installation process. I wanted to install linux on an old internet-less laptop, so that would be out of the question provided that this is the case.

- Alex
No, most apps do not use download installers (none that i've ever installed on any linux distro).
But the entire repository of packages are available to download and directly install through a package handler, not up to individual installers though. Just a very convenient way to install things (see justthisguy's example)

Most decent package handlers are able to add CD's or DVD's as sources to install packages from, or you can manually install packages if you can handle the potential dependencies manually as well.

Dependencies can be hell at some times. At least if you want to use more obscure, less known programs that aren't available in your repositories. Compiling them yourself is probably the easiest way out then.

I actually found it easier to get DVDs working on Ubuntu, than on Windows. (Ubuntu + Automatix ftw :) )
I usually get pissed off with Windows because it's supposed to "just work", and it doesn't.

I got the same email when I contacted them and i ordered mine monday november 30th. THey told me mine will be shipped monday so I guess ill have to wait.

I get the feeling this practice is going to result in a giant pile of "non-275 Mhz capable" GP2X units that GBAX can't sell, and they'll get repainted or something to try and compensate. And maybe be the reason no MK3 ever gets made...

It's catching.. and some are being blatently dishonest about it now...

http://gp2x.allack.co.uk/Extras/Detail.php?ProductID=375

"Includes latest upgraded feature: Dual 275MHz Processor"

From their front page:
"There's a new version of the GP2X in town. The latest version includes a 275MHz upgrade to the dual processor. "

That's just plain lying to get sales. There's no indication they're even selling on 275mhz tested ones - just standard gp2x's.

edit: Hell.. I just read the rest of their page... "you can watch 320*240(30frame) of video file for approximately 8 hours and listen to mp3 file for approximately 14 hours (LCD off ) continuously with 2AA batteries."

Anyone heard of these clowns before?

What gp2x.co.uk did was standard marketing.. they took a product and sold it in a different way to make it more attractive (and it worked). What allack are doing goes beyond that into deception.

Back