New Console From Gamepark Holdings

ibogdan

Still Fresh
Does anybody know anything about this new console Gamepark holdings will be releasing? I wonder if it will be a major leap in performance (over the pandora also) or they will just add a bunch of useless gimmicks.
Is there any new hardware (cpu, video...) that appeared after the pandora was designed, that Gamepark holdings could use in their console that will make it so much better than the pandora? I mean will it make the pandora absolete? It's been a while since the pandora was designed...
I plan on buying a pandora as soon as i can preorder for batch 2 (it has good enough performance, good design, community dev support)...but the video below made me very curious...what could Gamepark be doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itndHry3Sj8 at 02:03

You should check the "WIZ" and "gp2x" subfora for info first and threads should be in "Other Consoles"(if such a thread doesn't exist, yet) :)

There's already been some discussion about it. Nobody has any concrete details though, other than that it will have a 3.5" LCD display, and that it will be partially (but not fully) backwards compatible with the Wiz. It is very unlikely to be in the same class as the Pandora power-wise, and may just be the Wiz internals in a new case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure that's the gp2x f200 in that video, which isn't new. Maybe I overheard the dude mention something. The Pandora will never be obsolete unless someone decides to just copy the design, which is the unique thing about it. If you want it, don't buy it for its processing power. Buy it because of portability + functionality.

/edit: Ninja'd

And, don't get me wrong. The P IS powerful, I just think that's the least good reason to get it.

if gph were making a new console i would imagine it would be like what the f200 was to the first gp2x f100 with minor upgrades here and there

I imagine it would have to be minor, otherwise risking pissing off their wiz userbase.. It's a sin to drop existing device like 1 year after release and before their promises are complete, unless they want to get into mp4 territory.. I mean no wifi adapter or wiz store full of releases yet?

I think the wiz has some life yet, as it's selling reasonably well (? Thinkgeek etc?) anda goodpiece of kit

jeff

skeezix said:
I imagine it would have to be minor, otherwise risking pissing off their wiz userbase.. It's a sin to drop existing device like 1 year after release and before their promises are complete, unless they want to get into mp4 territory.. I mean no wifi adapter or wiz store full of releases yet?

I think the wiz has some life yet, as it's selling reasonably well (? Thinkgeek etc?) anda goodpiece of kit

jeff

Perhaps GPH is forced to develop a new console. Rumors spread that MES is sold, the website is offline since a few weeks...

a new console such a short time after the wiz release would be a massive mistake. it moves them closer to the league of chinese mp4 manufacturers like ramos and chuwi - a constant stream of new and "better" machines only serves to piss most people off. especially when support for the previous machine is abandoned (though this wouldnt be such an issue i suppose when the device is mostly supported by the community developers anyway).

if its the same hardware in a new case i can sort of understand where they're coming from. the wiz casing looks cheap and the buttons were controversial from the start. but a whole new (and mostly incompatible) gaming machine is just disrespectful and they deserve to lose customers for pulling a stunt like that.

having said that, i cant deny im pretty intrigued to see what they're going to put inside it, and what it'll look like.

kuru said:
I'm pretty sure that's the gp2x f200 in that video, which isn't new. Maybe I overheard the dude mention something.

Was it about white russians?

of course they have to release a brand new console, because they definitely suck ass for not having gotten wifi in the WIZ yet, thats last years problem already not solved very long .. the best thing GPH can do with their cash is make another console, quick, which keeps up with the joneses.

no point being a producer unless you keep doing it. however we should not forgive them for doing stupid things, next time, and they will definitely have to compete hard with pandora, a nothing-ran compared to iphone/zii-egg/etc.

sbock said:
Perhaps GPH is forced to develop a new console. Rumors spread that MES is sold, the website is offline since a few weeks...

I guess that's the risk of going with a sole source that's as small as MES. On the other hand, it seems strange to me that someone would buy MES and not want to have them continue making their flagship product. What else would they be interested in, incorporating their IP or maybe acquiring their engineers? I don't think these things sound nearly as valuable..

Yes, I think the same. And we know that the Pollux is also used in the Leapfrog Didj. The unit is sold in rather higher quantities than the Wiz.
But on the other side: Why do they turn down the website and don't redirect on the new company?
And don't forget such things as 3dfx/Nvidia. Or they are in fact insolvent and the buyer is only interested is specific property.
Unfortunately I can find absolutely nothing on the internet about this case...

Back