New Commodore 64 cases anyone?

SID and CIA are the ones that are most fragile
Yup, I have broken my sid by removing the cartridge while the power was on... and without sound.. it aint the same.

Oh, my kids are still young enough (8/3/3) that they still think my old junk is neat; Vectrex is a big hit with their friends since its so alien a tech; the SNES with a ROM-cart from ED is a big hit too -- easily switchable games. They still dig Castlevania :) I was a Vic-20kid, then an Atari ST kid where I cut my teeth and did all my early code learning, etc. So it makes my heart happy when I fire up an ST and they play Oids and Dungeon Master .. they really like them. Crazy but awesome.

I've been a big arcade geek my whole life, so I've got a really extensive pile of gear (shockingly so), but had to get rid of a lot due to space constraints. Still got a couple cabinets though and probably parts for about 100+ games. (myentire furnace room is jammed floor to ceiling.)

Itake some small nerd pride that my oldest can kick most peoples ass at Killer Instinct and Ms Pacman :)

jeff

SIDs can be 'made' .. ie: someone wrote a pretty good SID emulator for Atmel microcontrollers; not same pinout of course due to Atmel, but you can make a board adapter easily enough.. ie: drop out the right pinout, then jumper over to the atmel, and it'll work.

So SIDs of that sort.. I'd be surprised if they're not more easily available now?

Hell, if not, why aren't I making a pcb of that? Maybe I should...

jeff

Yup, I have broken my sid by removing the cartridge while the power was on... and without sound.. it aint the same.
I have bought C64 with slightly broken filters on my sid. On simple "syntetic" tests I wrote or typed from the internet it works just fine. You can't notice the failure on many games, but on some cases music sounds lice crap.
SIDs can be 'made' .. ie: someone wrote a pretty good SID emulator for Atmel microcontrollers; not same pinout of course due to Atmel, but you can make a board adapter easily enough.. ie: drop out the right pinout, then jumper over to the atmel, and it'll work.

So SIDs of that sort.. I'd be surprised if they're not more easily available now?
There's a swinSID project, not sure if you can buy one out of shelf. Anyway the emulation quality is still far from perfect. Perhaps a way to revive unit with totally broken sound but rather unacceptable for people that can easily spot difference between "old" and "new" SID models.

Think emulation of the SID itself is not the main issue. It's the analogue filter that makes the SID.

I've seen plenty half decent SID emu soft- and hardware but none like the real thing because of the filter and its quirks.

New stuff inside for the new stuff outside anyone? ;)

800px-C64_reloaded_Proto2_BigPic.jpg

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/C64_reloaded
If only it were cheaper.  Maybe priced close to the cases which are only *click*...hmmm... $35...  But I need at least 2 now, 1 for my red or blue case, and one for my clear case, since I will also preorder the clear (damn them!) if I buy a case, and the inside needs to look really nice, since you will be seeing everything.

I can't find a listing or way to order the reloaded mobo.  Can someone link me to the order page or instructions on how to order.  Too lazy to search and read atm, and I should be sleeping.  I really want these now.  At the very least the C64 reloaded and clear case.  I guess I can wait a bit if they won't be limited runs of each.
I mailed Jens about that, as soon as the boards are done and they pass QC he will add them to his webshop here

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/news.html

Edit: Just noticed the first small batch of boards is done but Jens is selling them on ebay for way too much money, bidding starts at 200€... Tssss... Boooo for Jens

New stuff inside for the new stuff outside anyone? ;)

800px-C64_reloaded_Proto2_BigPic.jpg

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/C64_reloaded
If only it were cheaper.  Maybe priced close to the cases which are only *click*...hmmm... $35...  But I need at least 2 now, 1 for my red or blue case, and one for my clear case, since I will also preorder the clear (damn them!) if I buy a case, and the inside needs to look really nice, since you will be seeing everything.

I can't find a listing or way to order the reloaded mobo.  Can someone link me to the order page or instructions on how to order.  Too lazy to search and read atm, and I should be sleeping.  I really want these now.  At the very least the C64 reloaded and clear case.  I guess I can wait a bit if they won't be limited runs of each.
I mailed Jens about that, as soon as the boards are done and they pass QC he will add them to his webshop here

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/news.html

Edit: Just noticed the first small batch of boards is done but Jens is selling them on ebay for way too much money, bidding starts at 200€... Tssss... Boooo for Jens
I may end up sticking with a fully original one.  I never bought any of the cases, or looked into if the clear ones are still available.  If I have to harvest parts anyway I might as well save myself a little money.  Thanks for the link.  I will check it from time to time, along with my other sites I go to for old computer news.

I managed to get a c64 together from a couple broken ones. It was a c64c but I couldn't live without the breadbin case.

I wish I could get vice working on my pandora properly. I love BASIC.

What's the deal with the "new old machines"? I understand the aesthetic of wanting to build a PC into a C64 case or something, but why would you want an actual C64? Legitimate question, what's the appeal of recreated C64 vs a more modern system in the same case running an emulator?

What follows is subjective, irrational, and entirely my opinion.

I'm not sure about the recreated systems really. I think they're cool but part of the interest to me is collecting real vintage hardware. I'm sure for the sceners it provides an opportunity to find a C64 they KNOW will boot when it shows up, whereas finding a used one might be DOA or have a number of problems. It will also have advancements over legitimate vintage hardware. The layout of the board posted above has some notable improvements, the levered IC sockets being the most obvious to me.

As for the question regarding using real hardware versus emulators well for some I'm sure it comes down to purism, an irrational need to fulfill a nostalgic impulse. For others there is the argument that emulators are never 100% perfect. VICE is probably the most accurate emulator I can think of in terms of recreating the feel and cadence of an older computer. It's fast and convenient to load up D64 and T64's but nothing beats true hardware to recapture the feeling of an old machine. Also typing things on a C64 emulator is a pain in the ass; the keyboard layout is always difficult to remember and there are various and sundry ways to work it out but I'd rather just bang out on the breadboard where all the keys are labelled and its easy to see the layout.

I collect 8 bit machines mainly because I'm an electronics enthusiast.  8 bit systems occupy this sweet spot of microcomputer electronics to me; more advanced than simple logic computing, but not so advanced that I could never understand it. Playing around with 8-bit systems is an opportunity to expand my knowledge and familiarity. I enjoy poking around in memory with BASIC and Assembly as a fun waste of time and I've really learned a lot doing so. 

Ultimately in my opinion this is all an example of a human failing called sentimentality. It is the same reason people restore classic cars. It is not strictly rational.

I wish I could get vice working on my pandora properly
What's the problem you are having?
What's the deal with the "new old machines"? I understand the aesthetic of wanting to build a PC into a C64 case or something, but why would you want an actual C64? Legitimate question, what's the appeal of recreated C64 vs a more modern system in the same case running an emulator?
To me, it's having a keyboard with a layout based upon the actual device; but if somebody built a USB C64 keyboard, I'd probably just go with that.Though I keep thinking of buying a cheap Breadbin C64 off ebay (if I can find one) to house a RPi - as I want my C64 to remain as-is (albiet not working, but not really looked to find out why) for sentimental reasons.

I must admit, I'm still baffled by people thinking they'll get £50 for a box!

Though I keep thinking of buying a cheap Breadbin C64 off ebay (if I can find one) to house a RPi - as I want my C64 to remain as-is (albiet not working, but not really looked to find out why) for sentimental reasons.
I might be interested in buying the guts if you won't be using them to repair yours, which I highly recommend.  I don't know if there are any regional differences related to power, keyboard and the like.  Shipping might also make it not worthwhile.

Hopefully the cases and keycaps will continue to be available when I finally get one.  I prefer the look of the original, so I may end up not needing/wanting those after all.

WizardStan, directive0 hit on a lot of the reasons I like having the real thing.  Unless I misunderstood you I imagine that the "new old machines" appeal to those with money and space to play "what if", and some may also want something with more potential than the originals had.  This is not so different from my own interest in new hardware for old computers.  This allows for modernizing the hardware to replace things that are so dated they are expensive or difficult to make use of (old floppies, HDDs, modems), or add new functionality while providing most of the experience that people are used to with these computers.  I have the main Apple IIe I use set up under a modern HD LCD TV with a cable ready to be swapped, yet I almost always use my old monitor.

I am the same way when it comes to consoles.  I prefer the original hardware and software (and I love cartridges), but I will use some new hardware (Everdrives) and software.  Things like the Retron 5 are not really for me, even before the questionable stuff associated with that product.  I think I would just go for emulators on my other computers instead, and either a USB controller, or an adaptor for the original controller.  Things like the Retrode might be good for me.  I have the consoles I want, though.  For problems like those with the front-loader NES the Everdrive works for me since I only have to fight with it once, and yet I still swap carts sometimes because that flashing is part of the experience for me (although there were years after the neighbors and I got our NESs where we didn't have problems very often, and my current NESs are both far more picky than any I used when I was younger).  As with the computers, Everdrives also add functionality such as Game Genie codes without using a Game Genie and further ruining the connectors, as well as allowing me to make backups of my saves, which I have so far only done with my N64 games.  I could use an emulator instead of bothering with all of that, but that isn't how I played in the past.  I even have an old CRT TV with a really rough picture...I can probably replace it for not much $$.  I can also go for Virtual Console versions of titles that are available.  I own a bunch of those, along with rereleases of some games.  Those are good enough for some of my family who are more interested in just the games.  I am interested in the overall experience.  Virtual Console, emulators and my Pandora, as well as my USB controllers that I used when I played games with emus on laptops, are available when I just want to play a game.

I don't consider myself a collector, yet my collection probably makes it seem otherwise.

I don't really like the idea of rehousing something modern in an old case.  Unless I am using a perfect emulator I am not going to get the same out of that experience.  The closest I would get to doing that are things like the Apple2Pi or however they are typing it now.  That isn't really very different from how things were done in the past.  It does bring up another reason why I like old hardware:  seeing how far we can push something old.  It isn't for everyone.  I don't fully understand why people want to emulate everything they do, other than that they don't own all the original hardware and still want access to the software.  If it wasn't for the software they would probably only be using more modern stuff.  When combining the restoring classic cars as directive0 mentioned, and seeing how far you can push the hardware you come up with something like a nerdier version of hot rods that we don't get to show off as much.  There are people who do the same kind of stuff with modern cars and computers for somewhat more practical reasons, but usually with older stuff it is just for fun.  Actually, I am pretty sure on the extreme end of modern stuff it is a combination of "for fun" and bragging rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went through the kickstarter comments and it seems the project went Craig's way :/

I guess I am glad I didn't throw any money at this. I am going to read those comments, so thanks for the heads up.

I heard of many people having received their cases a long time ago and no complaints? Can you elaborate as to what the trouble is?

Back