Mega 65- Enhanced Commodore 65, fpga etc.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Others build their own Dream Computers too. :cool:

Very interesting. All these old chips are still available, can you imagine that?
Great, another retro computer project to clutter up the market. I missed what he said the target price was, but there's also a limited number of people who'd be willing to code for these kind of devices in this modern era. I'm not sure we'll see any impressive projects for this, other than what this four man team can produce themselves. Maybe I'm wrong, I mean it's a pretty big channel as far as I can tell, and maybe .5% of people watching that might at least try to code something up.

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
Great, another retro computer project to clutter up the market. I missed what he said the target price was, but there's also a limited number of people who'd be willing to code for these kind of devices in this modern era. I'm not sure we'll see any impressive projects for this, other than what this four man team can produce themselves. Maybe I'm wrong, I mean it's a pretty big channel as far as I can tell, and maybe .5% of people watching that might at least try to code something up.
Well, in the Video, it looks like hit Computer will be go a little bit in the C20/C64 direction, of course more powerful. But since he uses all these old standard chips, maybe the coding will not be that complicated.
Price target is ~$200 for the first incarnation (micro ATX size board), later he want to make a more optimized Mini-ITX siezed board for $100-$150 and later maybe even a small, full integrated board for maybe $50.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Yeah, it'll be more like the old computers where you could understand everything in your head with only occasional reference to the documentation to understand what it's doing. I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing in modern times, because libraries allow you to understand enough to get stuff working and you have the computing headroom to be able to do a lot more that you could imagine.

I dunno, there's a lot of people that think that coding to a smaller target improves your creativity, and maybe there's something to that, and I guess I'm pissing into the wind slightly, and nobody actually cares what I think. Certainly not enough to alter a purchasing decision, and down the line have an idea that could be implemented on a device like this.

FBnil

Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...
Others build their own Dream Computers too.
The 8 bit morray! Love the nick names they have for each other!
Looks sweet! Not sure is revision 3 (with just the FPGA) is what the world is waiting for. As pointed out already, there are lots of other computers made in the last 10 years that fall into that category. Using the old chips (rev 1)... well, that is interesting. (eventhough it is a little more expensive)

rSl

i'm not tired. you're tired.
FYI

(Post from MEGA65 at Facebook)

As you can read in previous posts, we have decided against Kickstarter.

We believe that YOU, the community, our friends and followers are more than enough to help us keep the project running and even finish it as intended.

This is one of the last and biggest steps towards the production of the MEGA65 desktop machines: We need money to buy the steel moulds, the tools to produce MEGA65 cases at a reasonable price.

This is why we have launched the "case moulds donation game". We are asking for donations via the little golden coin in the donations game at http://mega65.org until we can afford to buy those steel moulds.

Meanwhile we will make the MEGA65 better and squash lots of bugs. Thank you all in advance for walking this bumpy road together with us ❤