Beta Neon Optimized Build Of Pandora Fractals

centus

Hello,

I've re-compiled the application using the following flags:
-Wall -O3 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -ftree-vectorize -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon

In an attempt to see if Neon optimization makes a difference.

Could anyone please try the attached PND (amazingly, .PND files are not allowed as attachments :)) and compare it to the one on the appstore (under Misc/other)?

Please report any performance differences.

Thanks.

Hi centus,

I'd say this NEON optimized version is slightly faster than the one on the archive.

Don't quote me on this, it's only based on my own perception ;)

Anyway, thanks for using this promising technology !

From wikipedia:

Advanced SIMD (NEON)

The Advanced SIMD extension, marketed as NEON technology, is a combined 64- and 128-bit single instruction multiple data (SIMD) instruction set that provides standardized acceleration for media and signal processing applications. NEON can execute MP3 audio decoding on CPUs running at 10 MHz and can run the GSM AMR (Adaptive Multi-Rate) speech codec at no more than 13 MHz. It features a comprehensive instruction set, separate register files and independent execution hardware. NEON supports 8-, 16-, 32- and 64-bit integer and single-precision (32-bit) floating-point data and operates in SIMD operations for handling audio and video processing as well as graphics and gaming processing. In NEON, the SIMD supports up to 16 operations at the same time.

Bye, and keep up the good work :)

Magic Sam

p.s: who else uses NEON (or plan to) in his work on Pandora ?

Thanks for the help Sam!

Can anyone who knows Neon help me out here? should I use a different math library for Neon?

Thanks.

Thank you for the kind words, it's been a long lasting love of mine as well, I've even coded a mandelbrot set generator for the Cowon A2 when I still had it...

Had quite a cool scene of homebrew development...

i finally found out why this re-compilation didn't add much to performance.
I need to optimize the code before neon can make a difference.
Started reading up on it, i need to study some more before i can get it to do it's magic.

Any advice to get me started?

Guess i'll wait for my pandora to do my testing myself and get a faster feedback.

Thank.

Back